DVDVR Message Board

MAY WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

Nah, pretty sure barbecues at Harley's place were a regular thing anytime WCW and the WWF came to town back in the day. I know I heard someone else talk about them before Punk.

Actually, I happened to be flipping through 'Have A Nice Day' this afternoon and Foley makes a mention of Harley's legendary barbeques.

Coming home after the ROH-NJPW show at Hammerstein Ballroom. Thought it was freaking awesome and easily worth the $20.

• Like 1

RE: Stock prices.

Definitely Vince exaggerated, but come on, a minimal amount of research, or even subscribing to the observer for a month (or getting an underling to do it if you're too busy), would have easily made it clear how much BS it was that they would quadruple their rights fees.

Bear in mind I know virtually nothing about stocks/Wall street, but don't people like to, you know, LOOK INTO the stuff they invest millions in?

It's just very odd that literally thousands of people on message boards and whatnot knew there was no way they were getting all the cash they said, but people whose job it is to know this stuff had no clue.
  • Like 1

On the bright side, at least Stephanie didn't end up selling off her millions of stock when it went through the roof due to them talking up the TV deal, otherwise the McMahons might be in a bit of trouble right now.

• Like 1

Harley still throws barbecues I think. I know I've read about other wrestlers talking about them; they're the stuff of legend. 

See this is the kinda stuff that should be on the network. Harley Race's BBQ. Just a few hours of guys talking and matches show in between.

I believe that the Mid-South Colliseum is still standing.

It is. I remember reading an article about it. Basically because the building is not up to the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) code, it can't be used for events. I think I saw something about Lawler trying to organize a group to get it renovated, but with the place The Grizzlies play there's no real need for a second arena down there for some people.

plus Memphis has 2 empty arenas since the Pyramid couldn't be used for sports due to a non-compete with the FedExForum and the Pyramid is being made over by Bass Pro.

plus Memphis has 2 empty arenas since the Pyramid couldn't be used for sports due to a non-compete with the FedExForum and the Pyramid is being made over by Bass Pro.

That's nothing.  TNA has empty arenas all across the country.

• Like 2

RE: Stock prices.

Definitely Vince exaggerated, but come on, a minimal amount of research, or even subscribing to the observer for a month (or getting an underling to do it if you're too busy), would have easily made it clear how much BS it was that they would quadruple their rights fees.

Bear in mind I know virtually nothing about stocks/Wall street, but don't people like to, you know, LOOK INTO the stuff they invest millions in?

It's just very odd that literally thousands of people on message boards and whatnot knew there was no way they were getting all the cash they said, but people whose job it is to know this stuff had no clue.

Exaggerating is promising at the next PPV a match that'll rank up there with Flair/Steamboat and delivering HHH/Kane. Saying you're going to get between 200-300% increase in fees and only delivering 30%, delivering only 10% of what the CEO said was a "Sure thing" is pretty close to flat out and out lying as you can get. And it's not as if Vince is some wacky old founder who still has a minor role with the company, he's the CEO! And to top it all off, WWE said that the target number of subscribers to turn a profit on the network was no longer 800K-1M, but now between 1.3-1.5M. So they initially undershot their initial target by close to 50%. It doesn't get much more incompetent than that. You simply can't go around making misleading statements of that magnitude and not expect shareholders to get pissed.

At the same time, of course you're right that Wall Street analysts should've done their own research on the matter. Fuck all I used to figure out the TV fees/Network subscriber targets were complete bullshit was the calculator on my 3 year old Blackberry, so surely someone with decades of experience would have been able to call bullshit early on. I'm the last one to argue for the competency of Wall Street, but to be fair, most of their analysis were based on the assumptions that WWE management was being somewhat honest with them. Clearly that's not what was going on.

I have no idea what was being said on other message boards, but from what I recalls years ago when this was only 1 of many IWC sites I frequented, this one was always amongst the most informed. And even here, a lot of people were parrotting the "Live sportz = DVR proof! NASCAR money!" line that management was feeding everyone.

If the stock falls below $8, I should get mod powerz.

It'll get old soon. 

Just bring back more manager talk.

For example, if I think Zeb or the Rusev broad should start adding dudes to the fold. I'm not one for this stupid Russia angle, but I'd totally get behind Lana promising Zack Ryder more RAW matches if he pledges allegiance to Russia. Just grab a couple under card dudes that you can make a tag team - like Zack and ...I dunno..Curt Hawkins still a person? JTG? And have them be Rusev's man servants and Russian sympathizers. He abuses them during warm ups before matches to make them stronger.

I just want more manager stables. 

• Like 3

In unimportant wrestling news, thinking about making a thread to determine the best matches of "not-so-great" wrestlers like Khali, Warlord, etc.

This is mostly inspired by me watching some Powers of Pain matches yesterday and thinking that there must be at least one great Warlord singles match out there somewhere.  Someone must have bumped their ass off and made him look like a million bucks.

Khali's best match is against Triple H. Some like the Cena one, but the Trips match doesn't have Cena - so it's superior.

I'll have to go back and watch Warlord/Bulldog because that was my fucking dream match as a kid. SO MUCH MUSCLES. Like watching two Incredible Hulks play mercy.