DVDVR Message Board

MAY WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

I know it no longer exists, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Sportatorium. Same thing with the Mid South Coliseum.

Other than the post four or five posts above? ;)

I believe the Irish MCNeil Boys Club in Shreveport no longer exists either. Same with Maple Leaf Gardens.

For an out of the box suggestion, i'd say one of the reservations on the Tony Condello death Toursin northern canada.

The Maple Leaf Gardens building still technically exists. It's just been renovated and is a Loblaws grocery store. 006.JPG

There's actually a hockey rink in the building as well above the grocery store that a local university plays in. ROH ran a show there last year and are returning in September.

It must be expensive to rent as they are charging 90 bucks for a ringside seat

Arnie Skaaland. Knows where every single one of the boss' bodies are buried and would be unobtrusive except for the one moment he wasn't. Would also keep you flush in ready cash if you bankroll his card games.

On the subject of managers, Bobby Heenan unfortunately had to cancel on SICW tonight due to his health issues, but Jim Cornette is scheduled to be there.  I await the inevitable verbal war between him and local manager Travis Cook.

SICW is a fun old-school indy promotion with Larry Matysik behind the scenes.  They've brought in a ton of old-school guys in the past for special guest appearances.  Should be a good time.

On the subject of managers, Bobby Heenan unfortunately had to cancel on SICW tonight due to his health issues, but Jim Cornette is scheduled to be there.  I await the inevitable verbal war between him and local manager Travis Cook.

SICW is a fun old-school indy promotion with Larry Matysik behind the scenes.  They've brought in a ton of old-school guys in the past for special guest appearances.  Should be a good time.

Travis is gonna slaughter that bitter fuck.

I was thinking about this, as to which manager I'd want, and I think I'd take Captain Lou. I feel like he'd be good enough to get me some business, but also anti-establishment enough that if I, during my IC title reign, was like "Fuck it lou, I'm moving to a cabin in the mountains to make pottery instead." he'd respond, "Let's do it, brotha I know some people in New York who love pottery."

• Like 4

Harley Race is the answer. Led two guys to the top. Stayed loyal to both. Apparently throws great barbecues.

Fuck yeah. Everything you said.

And if need be, Harley would put up his own money to put a bounty on anyone perceived as a threat to your championship.

Ok so this is kind of terrible and I'm a horrible person but Diamond Exchange era DDP might be one of my top choices. You might not win all that much but you are definitely going to have disease-ridden fun.

Also, I'm sure most of you would want to be a part of this:

• Like 2

I grew up during the Hart, Heenan, Fuji and Slick days and I think back on it now and they had a particular flavor of guy they went for.  I always felt like Jimmy was the manager for weirdos with self delusions like The Mountie or Honky Tonk Man.  Heenan usually managed people that he wanted to be like Rude, Perfect and even Andre or people he could manipulate easily like Haku or The Barbarian.  Fuji gravitated towards sadists and finally Slick would take symbols of the white establishment like prison guards and subvert them to his black will.  

• Like 4

Harley still throws barbecues I think. I know I've read about other wrestlers talking about them; they're the stuff of legend. 

See this is the kinda stuff that should be on the network. Harley Race's BBQ. Just a few hours of guys talking and matches show in between.

I believe that the Mid-South Colliseum is still standing.

It is. I remember reading an article about it. Basically because the building is not up to the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) code, it can't be used for events. I think I saw something about Lawler trying to organize a group to get it renovated, but with the place The Grizzlies play there's no real need for a second arena down there for some people.

Ok so this is kind of terrible and I'm a horrible person but Diamond Exchange era DDP might be one of my top choices. You might not win all that much but you are definitely going to have disease-ridden fun.

Holy hairhoppers! That's not a hairdo on Mr. DDP - that's a hairMUST!! That would give Hugo Savinovitch and Nikki Sixx a run for their follicles.

I am agog.

bang indeed,

RAF