DVDVR Message Board

MAY WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

In unimportant wrestling news, thinking about making a thread to determine the best matches of "not-so-great" wrestlers like Khali, Warlord, etc.

This is mostly inspired by me watching some Powers of Pain matches yesterday and thinking that there must be at least one great Warlord singles match out there somewhere.  Someone must have bumped their ass off and made him look like a million bucks.

I've heard good things about a Warlord-Sam Houston Texas death match from '86.  Never actually seen it, though.

And I nominate the shockingly good Nathan Jones-Scott Steiner match from one of those WWA PPV's in '02.

No doubt that's Nathan Jones' best match.

Steiner seems to have that ability to have a good match with a limited guy if they agree to beat the crap out of each other.

My memory of Warlord/Bulldog from watching it as a kid is about 8 minutes of bearhugs. 

I'd have Paulie manage me to a Championship and then dump him for Cornette. Basically, use Paulie for his skill to get you to the top, but then switch to a guy who'll always be loyal, has his own money, and is rich enough to hire the best lawyers to negate any deal I had with Paulie who couldn't afford the legal fight .

You've just brought the wrath of Brock upon yourself. Good luck with that.

It'll get old soon. 

Just bring back more manager talk.

For example, if I think Zeb or the Rusev broad should start adding dudes to the fold. I'm not one for this stupid Russia angle, but I'd totally get behind Lana promising Zack Ryder more RAW matches if he pledges allegiance to Russia. Just grab a couple under card dudes that you can make a tag team - like Zack and ...I dunno..Curt Hawkins still a person? JTG? And have them be Rusev's man servants and Russian sympathizers. He abuses them during warm ups before matches to make them stronger.

I just want more manager stables. 

This would be another weak stable though.  Before they add someone to Lana's crew, they need someone people care about for his patriotic bonafides to turn traitor.  None of those guys you named matters and they would just be The Real Russians and that is death.

Maybe Santino?  People love him and he can play mean shoot-guy.  They could build him up a bit as a real babyface contender to the US title or whatever and then turn him.  It would at least make some children cry and learn the hard way of the evil witchcraft of the eastern hemisphere.

But he'd need a new moveset.  I assume he has a bunch of heel stuff that he never uses now.

Cornette eventually rolled over on Yoko for Vader, didn't he? or was it the other way around?

Other way around. Corny tried to make peace between them, but Yoko cut him loose. Once that was done, Cornette sic'ed his new monster on his former one, but you can't really call that a betrayal on his part.

• Like 1

It'll get old soon.

For example, if I think Zeb or the Rusev broad should start adding dudes to the fold. I'm not one for this stupid Russia angle, but I'd totally get behind Lana promising Zack Ryder more RAW matches if he pledges allegiance to Russia. Just grab a couple under card dudes that you can make a tag team - like Zack and ...I dunno..Curt Hawkins still a person? JTG? And have them be Rusev's man servants and Russian sympathizers. He abuses them during warm ups before matches to make them stronger.

This would be another weak stable though. Before they add someone to Lana's crew, they need someone people care about for his patriotic bonafides to turn traitor. None of those guys you named matters and they would just be The Real Russians and that is death.

Maybe Santino? People love him and he can play mean shoot-guy. They could build him up a bit as a real babyface contender to the US title or whatever and then turn him. It would at least make some children cry and learn the hard way of the evil witchcraft of the eastern hemisphere.

But he'd need a new moveset. I assume he has a bunch of heel stuff that he never uses now.

I love this. Plus, it is Santino, so all you need is to give him amnesia after getting pummeled by Rusev, and he starts to think his name is Boris Alexiev, Russian Grappler.

Bonus points, as it gets him away from Emma.

In unimportant wrestling news, thinking about making a thread to determine the best matches of "not-so-great" wrestlers like Khali, Warlord, etc.

This is mostly inspired by me watching some Powers of Pain matches yesterday and thinking that there must be at least one great Warlord singles match out there somewhere. Someone must have bumped their ass off and made him look like a million bucks.

I remember really liking The Warlord/Tito Santana match from Summerslam '90. It's been quite a while since I've watched it, so I don't know how well it holds up. I enjoyed The Warlord's singles run w/ Slick. As an added bonus, it was because of Slick that I'm fond of Kangol hats, fedoras, and the page boy cap.

WWE has a video on YouTube from a few years ago of the Uso's barbecuing and they mentioned cooking out for Barbarian, Haku and other family members all the time. That has no be Barney Stinson Legendary !

It'll get old soon. 

They need to sign Kozlov and make him and Rusev a team. 

You would need to get the Road Warriors circa late 88 to stop them. 

Watch a Bulldog/Warlord match on Youtube.  Really only one brief bearhug.  It was a pretty good showcase for Davey Boy because whenever he'd get on offense, he was so fast for a guy his size.  Warlord was fine. 

Found a Bret/Warlord match that was even shorter but fun.  Bret resorts to all sorts of cheating to try and level the playing field with the massive Warlord.  Also, Slick was there for this one which helped.  I'm not going to press my luck and watch more than 2 Warlord matches.

It'll get old soon. 

They need to sign Kozlov and make him and Rusev a team. 

You would need to get the Road Warriors circa late 88 to stop them. 

Did Sylvester Terkay ever have a foreigner gimmick or just marketed as a shooty type guy?  He'd fit in such a stable.