DVDVR Message Board

MAY WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

Some baseball fans have a goal of visiting every MLB park.  Is there anything like that for wrestling?  Like has someone ever put together a list of the most famous wrestling venue or landmark in, let's say, each of the 50 states?

Here is my list.  

1. The Silverdome in Michigan

2. The ECW Arena in Philly

3. The Silverdome in New Orleans

4. The Chase in St. Louis

5. The Omni in Atlanta

6. The Hammerstein Ballroom in New York, also that little place called MSG

7. Rosemont Horizon/All State Arena in Chicago

8. Cow Palace in San Francisco

i like this list but i feel like a project like this is hurt due to so many historic arenas being torn down. Most notably, the Sportatorium (Dallas), Boston Garden, Olympic Arena (LA) and Mid-South Colliseum (Memphis).

Vinny Mac lost $357 million today, with WWE stock plunging just about 50% because of the TV rights negotiations and staying on USA. Smackdown might go live, finally.

QUICK~! ANTACULAR! COME TALK ABOUT THIS!

• Like 1

I know it no longer exists, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Sportatorium. Same thing with the Mid South Coliseum.

Other than the post four or five posts above? ;)

I believe the Irish MCNeil Boys Club in Shreveport no longer exists either. Same with Maple Leaf Gardens.

For an out of the box suggestion, i'd say one of the reservations on the Tony Condello death Toursin northern canada.

• Like 1

Vinny Mac lost $357 million today, with WWE stock plunging just about 50% because of the TV rights negotiations and staying on USA. Smackdown might go live, finally.

WTF? Why? Why the fuck would you need to troll out Antacular on this?

I know it no longer exists, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Sportatorium. Same thing with the Mid South Coliseum. 

Is there a similar venue in Charlotte?  Grady Cole Center?  Memorial Stadium?  Charlotte Coliseum Independence Arena Bojangles Coliseum

WTF? Why? Why the fuck would you need to troll out Antacular on this?

WWE Black Friday.  I hope they don't over react.  They could probably save/make some money y doing the following.  Close the performance center.  Sell the rings.  Cut the NXT roseter.  Restructure JTG's contract to a 10 year deal.  Put the title back on Cena.  No more fat guys on TV.  Everyone must be 6'4" or above.  Sell Brock's contract to the UFC.  Cancel production on the Marine 5.  Charge $69.98 a month for the Network.  

AMC greenlights Billy Corgan's wrestling reality show.

http://www.stereogum.com/1682092/amc-greenlights-billy-corgans-wrestling-show/news/

“Corgan will take us behind the scenes of this fascinating world, from creating storylines to choreographing fights to managing intense post-match locker room arguments, and will reveal that the most dramatic stories often take place outside of the ring.”

They really must be on the ropes with no Breaking Bad or Mad Men.

EDIT: Agh, no pun intended.

Lemelson Capital Announces Stake In World Wrestling Entertainment And Calls On Board To Pursue New Management Or Ownership

Marlborough, MA, May 16, 2014 -- Lemelson Capital, LLC, a private investment management firm, today announced that they had taken a stake in shares of World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) and called on the Board of Directors to replace the executive management team of the company following a period of consistent losses, execution issues and material misstatements.

Despite the stock's roughly 63% correction since Lemelson Capital's original short call less than two months ago (from $30.37 on March 17 to $11.33 as of publication of this release), the firm today also reiterated that fair value of WWE's common stock is between $8.25 and $11.88.

Lemelson Capital's original short thesis can be found here:

"WWE has affirmed that even with one million subscribers for its WWE network, the company stands to lose between $45 million and $52 million in FY 2014, which validates the original short thesis," said Emmanuel Lemelson, Chief Investment Officer of Lemelson Capital Management. "This follows what we believe to be material misrepresentations by the company about both the performance and operating profit model of its WWE network, which the company has wrongly labeled 'a homerun'," said Lemelson.

Lemelson Capital today also called on WWE's Board of Directors to promptly replace the company's executive management team, or explore the sale of the business, and said that such changes are a necessary component of any successful strategy going forward. "For example, promoting the WWE direct network's value to shareholders without a fair and accurate discussion of the implications to a traditional network revenue circumvented management's fiduciary responsibility as stewards of investor's capital, and is part of what has emerged as a pattern over recent years. Further, there are no pending operational developments in the pipeline to offset these significant losses," Lemelson added.

Lemelson Capital and its clients are long shares of WWE.

As I understand, they can't really force a sale, because Vince has too much stock (and his stock has higher voting rights than common stock) but theoretically, from what I've been told/read, the board could vote to remove Vince, and that could be what they are aiming for.

They bought low and are trying to manipulate a hostile takeover by virtue of that, period. This is how the game is played.

Sure, but it's hard to see how that's supposed to work when Vince is still the majority owner, and the family on a whole even more so.

Step 1: Buy WWE stock

Step 2: Watch as outside investors who have no idea how the wrestling industry operates flood the company with money because of a few articles on a new tv deal/a Netflix like service.

Step 3: Watch those outside investors flee when they realize they bought WWE, not Netflix

Step 4: Accuse WWE of some kind of wrongdoing

Step 5: Profit

• Like 5

They bought low and are trying to manipulate a hostile takeover by virtue of that, period. This is how the game is played.

Sure, but it's hard to see how that's supposed to work when Vince is still the majority owner, and the family on a whole even more so.

If they can kick the McMahons completely out of the executive loop, they can do things like issue new stock, diluting the family's share to a minority status.

I can't imagine losing $350 million in a day.

Vince, lying on his couch watching a Diagnosis:Murder rerun, casually goes to check the figures on his iphone. "Wow, I lost $350 million today???" *thinks about it for a couple of seconds* "Meh, I'm still incredibly rich, regardless." *goes back to eating potato chips.*

• Like 1