DVDVR Message Board

The Batman: Arkham series.

3.8 gig day one patch on xbone

Patches on the very first day of release like DLC and day one withheld DLC. I remember the days when you got everything on disc when you handed money over. Idealist!

How can they already have a 3.8 gig path on the first day of release?   What the hell is this nonsense?

Just completed the first Riddler course.

Wow. I'm pretty sure there's no way I'm going to be able to finish all of these. That was presumably the easiest one, and I was on the verge of some property damage.

I'm watching a video of all the glitches in the PC version and realized Jonathan Banks voices Commissioner Gordon.  That is fucking awesome.

He's 100x better than the generic person they had play Gordon in Origins. Man, I did not like that game. As a whole, the voice acting is superb so far.

Another great thing that they clearly learned from previous iterations: AR Challenges are integrated so much better into story mode. They earn you Wayne Industry points which you use to unlock attacks/gadget/batmobile/suit upgrades. And they're located within the game world too. I never touched the challenges previously but now that they're integrated have an impact on your campaign, fuck yes. And they're pretty damn fun too.

I feel Ligerbusa's pain on that initial batmobile on the rooftop mission. They could have made it clearer that you're supposed to use the winch to get across the gulf. I must've dropped 3 times before even getting there and then I tried just making the jump the old fashioned way about 4 or 5 times. Still, it helped me get used to the car controls, as pressing square/x for brake wasn't something I'm used to. The mapping makes sense in the end because using the shoulder buttons for battle mode is way more sensible.

Just completed the first Riddler course.

Wow. I'm pretty sure there's no way I'm going to be able to finish all of these. That was presumably the easiest one, and I was on the verge of some property damage.

I went from being stuck on the last lap for a good while to completing the AR challenge at 40 seconds pretty quickly. I feel like there's a frustrating learning curve but once you get over it, it's not too bad.

Yet another nice touch: all of the challenges have leaderboards, so you can see how much better 90% of your friends are than you at this game.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

The "One Warrior Nation Man Army" challenge is a jerk and I don't like its face. I can't get more than 6800 points after about 30 attempts. How do you string together criticals in the batmobile? Is it just using the vulcan gun and aiming for the li'l purple lights on the tank drones?

PC launch has been a complete mess. Really doesn't seem optimized for PC hardware at all at this time. Even people with high end systems complaining about dropping framerates and stutter.

That's unfortunate, given that I don't recall the other games in the series having these problems. Hopefully it's fixed within a week or two.

I've found a lot of current gen ports to PC have been disappointing in one way or another. And that Rocksteady didn't work on the PC port isn't surprising as that's been a thing studios do as of late.

I played about 60% of AA, really liked it but my save got corrupted (what year is this?) and I never went back to it. Also never played Arkham City. Is this a linear trilogy like Gears of War or Halo or is Arkham Knight a standalone where I could pick it up and not feel like I'm out of place by not finishing AA or playing AC?

I played about 60% of AA, really liked it but my save got corrupted (what year is this?) and I never went back to it. Also never played Arkham City. Is this a linear trilogy like Gears of War or Halo or is Arkham Knight a standalone where I could pick it up and not feel like I'm out of place by not finishing AA or playing AC?

You gotta get caught up first. If you don't have time to play the games, then watch these. They're long, but not as long as playing the games:

PC launch has been a complete mess. Really doesn't seem optimized for PC hardware at all at this time. Even people with high end systems complaining about dropping framerates and stutter.

That's unfortunate, given that I don't recall the other games in the series having these problems. Hopefully it's fixed within a week or two.

There isn't even an option for high or ultra textures. Right now, everything but smoke from the Batmobile is superior on PS4 but even the smoke is an NVidia thing and not working properly.

At least now with the new Steam refund policy, if people choose not to wait for fixes they at least have an option and developers can't just hold people's money hostage, so overall it's not like it's crying time really. These are the golden days.

Thing is, a lot of people (myself included) purchased the game from Green Man Gaming because they had a VIP sale which was the game and season pass for 40% off. You can't get a refund if you buy third party.

So about the PC port.

Some sleuths out there have uncovered information that suggests that the devs porting it to PC only had about a month and a half.

To quickly break it down, what you're looking at is steam's back end information as to what packages on all steam servers include access to Batman Arkham Knight. The ones with the globes are available to the store, and the others are for backend use (think press copies). From that, you can see that Warner Bros and Rocksteady have access to the steam build starting April 2014. Iron Galaxy (a studio known mainly for working on games that are "coming in hot" to their releases) only gets access on May 1st, 2015. This is a pretty good answer to "how did this happen," and it shows some really unfortunate planning as well as a superhuman effort on Iron Galaxy's behalf showing how close they came anyways.

Anyways. I hate these games so this'll be my only post in here, so I might as well say that under a friend's advisement I checked out the ending on youtube and this thread is going to be awesome in two to three weeks. It's a kind of ending that I would've wrote (regardless of my feelings on batman). I'm genuinely excited for you guys to see it.

I picked up my PS4 copy from Best Buy yesterday. It's already the best looking game I've ever seen.

Although I sorta think the M rating is a bit of a misnomer. It's no more violent thus far than Arkham City.

I still want to Platinum Arkham Asylum, City, Origins and Blackgate Vita & PS3 before this though. Yes I'm nuts.

The gaming website I tend to use the most, GameCentral has finally put their Batman: Arkham Knight review up today. The review is very criticial of the story and the Batmobile is overused. "Awful" boss battles and "the worst of the Arkham titles". The game scored 7/10. I believe Arkham Asylum got 8/10, I do know Arkham City got 9/10 and Arkham Origins 7/10. Expected them not to like the Batmobile but never thought they would say its the weakest Arkham game.