DVDVR Message Board

MARCH WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Out of all the stuff within the show that they're doing wrong, and the occasional misstep of trying to push an "outsider" or part-timer like Batista to generate mainstream coverage, there is a lot that they are subtly doing right nowadays.  They are way more savvy about how to get a fluffy, safe image of the corporate name out there and of how to insinuate it into pop culture.

The new policy of giving replica belts to sports guys when they win something is amazingly effective.  David Ortiz or LeBron goofing around with them.  It's like they've almost silently snuck in and DDT'ed Wheaties and Disneyland for that World Series/Superbowl/Stanley Cup spot.  It hits closest to where that crossover audience might be.  20 something athletes and their 5-15 year old fans.

And as morally suspect as it is, the Komen stuff is brilliant.  It is basically a "charity that exists to produce corporate commercial synergy.  And in this case to give a "mainstream" seal of approval to something like WWE.

TOTAL DIVAS is another example.  Who here would have thought that an E! show about the women would work on any level?  But it is another way that they have snuck themselves into the weekly current of "just regular pop culture junk."

• Like 1

Total Divas was a brilliant idea. Women like it and guys watch it with their girlfriends/wives because "hey, wrestlers and hot chicks!"

Adding Summer Rae was a smart move though I know women who did like JoJo so we'll see how that works out. I think next.. maybe they should add Paige. I feel like that would bring in a new demographic.

I want them to have someone run into Brock and just have Brock be Brock on reality tv.

Of everyone in the company, Brock is the one guy that I think could not be turned into a goofy, self-aware Joel McHale E! person. 

That stuff just isn't in him.  It's even in Henry.  I'm sure he'd be cuddly as all get-out on, like, The Soup.  Brock would be exactly the same amount of terrifying there as he is everywhere else.

Sadly, A Brock show would be the greatest reality show ever, but they'd have to film it with tiny cameras that he was unaware of, like filming gorillas in the wild.

It would be so risky for the technicians...Jesus, like serious life/death risk to work on those cameras.  But it would also work because even if the show was a hit, he would be unaware of it because he doesn't watch television and anyone who might try to inform him about it would probably be beaten pretty badly before they got to the point.

• Like 2

I'm not even sure that Brock knows he's on television now. 

Also, I think if we need to get Brock to do anything TV related, it's being a panelist on Chelsea Lately. Imagine the looks of abject fear on the faces of everyone else right before he throws the little person through Chelsea Handler's torso. 

Brock on @Midnight would be the best.  Just imagine how quickly he would target and rip the head off of Brian Posehn just because he was the largest other animal in that space:

Hardwick:  And Brock, what do you think of Keyboard cat...oh

brock.jpg

Soo...you answer is the slaughter and display of Brian Posehn's head as a totem to ward off all other challenges. 

Judges?????  judges???? anyone??????

• Like 7

Brock on @Midnight would be the best. Just imagine how quickly he would target and rip the head off of Brian Posehn just because he was the largest other animal in that space:

Hardwick: And Brock, what do you think of Keyboard cat...oh

brock.jpg

Soo...you answer is the slaughter and display of Brian Posehn's head as a totem to ward off all other challenges.

Judges????? judges???? anyone??????

Points.

• Like 1

Here's a strange question for everyone: has wrestling changed over the last three years or so?

I was watching some random PPVs from the past few years on the Network and it seems like the style of wrestling in the WWE feels different and more strike-heavy than it ever has been. Also the match formula for WWE matches have been refined and perfected.

I dunno, and I can't exactly explain it as well as I want to, but mainstream wrestling feels a lot different than it did in the recent past.

Brock on @Midnight would be the best. Just imagine how quickly he would target and rip the head off of Brian Posehn just because he was the largest other animal in that space:

Hardwick: And Brock, what do you think of Keyboard cat...oh

brock.jpg

Judges????? judges???? anyone??????

Fuck, I hope not. Then we wouldn't get any more of his current (awesome) run on Deadpool!!

...unless Brock writes it...

In the current Observer Meltzer suggests "Mystic-O." Seems like that'd be a wee bit too close, though.

Not after L.A. ParK.

As someone who knows exactly piss-all about how the stock market works, I'd like someone to explain to me how the WWE's biggest show of the year looks completely skippable (except for Taker/Lesnar) and yet WWE's stocks are at $31.01 (aka the highest they've been since the initial IPO). Why can't JBL be a lurker here?

Because the stock has fuck-all to do with booking. It's overvaluated due to the anticipation for a TV deal that isn't coming.

In the current Observer Meltzer suggests "Mystic-O." Seems like that'd be a wee bit too close, though.

Not after L.A. ParK.

As someone who knows exactly piss-all about how the stock market works, I'd like someone to explain to me how the WWE's biggest show of the year looks completely skippable (except for Taker/Lesnar) and yet WWE's stocks are at $31.01 (aka the highest they've been since the initial IPO). Why can't JBL be a lurker here?

Because the stock has fuck-all to do with booking. It's overvaluated due to the anticipation for a TV deal that isn't coming.

You know it isn't coming how?

So, I watched a few minutes of ROH TV last night, but didn't really have the sound on.  Who was the Bruiser Brody-looking guy wrestling against Tommaso Ciampa?!  I liked him.  Tried to google this and all I could find was people talking about Cole-Hero (Which I did not enjoy).