DVDVR Message Board

2013 NCAAF - Offseason

Dolfan in NYC

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, hey, college football thread.

Johnny Manziel's offseason meltdown is reaching absurd levels. August can't get here soon enough for Kevin Sumlin. I'll be interested to see if Manziel implodes this season, or if he's just one of those guys who can be a hard-partyin' knucklehead 6 days a week and still strap it on and play amazing on Saturday.

First Polls~!

Coaches 

1. Alabama

2. Ohio State

3. Oregon

4. Stanford

5. Georgia

Northwestern somehow weaseled their way in at 22.  Above Wisconsin & USC.  lol

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/polls/

Northwestern won ten games last year, including two over THE ALMIGHTY SEC, and returns nearly all their skill players. Also, NU was the highest ranked B1G team at the end of last season. This ain't the LOL JUST NORTHWESTERN of years ago.

I call bullshit. Someone jealous of the kid is attempting to screw him over. When you're from a rich family, one that openly admits that they give him all the money he wants so that he WON'T get into this kind of trouble, you don't work for cash.

My guess is, the NCAA leaked this to embarrass the family, as they have made a stink about the NCAA investigating everything Manziel buys, and his parents have responded to their enquiries with a, "We're rich, bitch."

It's hard to see why Manziel would do it.  Money isn't an issue for him.  He already has the funds to drive BMWs, sit front-row at rap concerts and NBA Finals games, and vacation in the Carribbean.  Unless they think the Manziels are lying about their oil fortune--which would be easy enough to prove--I'm not sure where this one is coming from.

"You know what's better than a million dollars? A billion dollars."

As we have learned most acutely in this country, being rich doesn't mean you stop wanting more. Having an extra $10,000 in your pocket will always be better than not having an extra $10,000 in your pocket. Throw in that you're dealing with an emotionally volatile, spoiled rich kid with entitlement issues and possibly a drinking problem, and yeah...On the right day, catching him in the right mood (or chemically altered state of mind), it's very plausible, regardless of how much sense it makes.

That's true--anything is possible. And since this happened during the BCS championship game, it's possible that they caught Manziel after he had knocked back a bottle of Jack Daniels.

One thing is for sure:  the guy is a trainwreck.  Sadly, I think the worst is yet to come for him.

I think he was in Miami, wanted some money for strippers and blow, and maybe the 'rents hadn't quite given him enough at the time.  I'm almost positive that he did this, the question is whether or not he'll get caught.  

I agree that he's going to melt down, I was just hoping that they'd manage to keep him contained through this season.  I sort of can't stand the guy, but would have liked to have seen him lead us to a title before failing miserably in the NFL.

Absolutely sickening. How dare Manziel sign autographs for $10,000 of pocket change- throw the book at him!

Much more noble for how that same OTL article talks about how Texas A+M sold the rights to sit with him and A+M's other Heisman winner at their kickoff dinner to six boosters for $20,000 a piece to the school, or how A+M has sold 142 of 144 of their new luxury boxes to boosters who pay the school $100K a piece. That's just good work for the colleges right there!

Johnny Manziel is a Tim Tebow like player with a Ryan Leaf like attitude. He better have a great season in order to make this offseason of trolling and selfish decisions worth it.

There is no argument that a guy charging $10,000 for signing autographs while the school makes $20,000 a person at a function is bullshit but that is the rules. And for a guy who can have daddy buy him everything he doesn't need to break the rules for some more change.   Once again it is selfishness because if the story is true it doesn't hurt him much while it damages the university.

Yeah, if there's one rule these guys should know, it's to not take money or gifts from anyone outside of their immediate family.  It's not fair, we all recognize that.  But until the rules are changed, they have to be followed.  It's just somewhat ironic that if true, Manziel doesn't even need the money,  At least the others can cry poverty to a point.  Manziel can't even get that benefit of the doubt.

The crazy thing is that if the autograph dealer kept all of the money there is no rule against it.  So the NCAA rule is that any and everyone can profit from a college athlete, but the college athlete.  Can we just get rid of these NCAA assholes already?  They claim they are protecting college athletes, except they seem to only worry about keeping them broke.  Let's get rid of them and let there be a free market like every other industry in the country.

Intresting qu

The crazy thing is that if the autograph dealer kept all of the money there is no rule against it.  So the NCAA rule is that any and everyone can profit from a college athlete, but the college athlete.  Can we just get rid of these NCAA assholes already?  They claim they are protecting college athletes, except they seem to only worry about keeping them broke.  Let's get rid of them and let there be a free market like every other industry in the country.

Interesting question if the NCAA finds he did brake a rule and he is suspended could Johnny sue for restraint of trade?

Players should at least make some royalties off anything sold by NCAA with their name and/or likeness.

If I were a top college athelete and people were making money off my name, you bet your sweet ass I'd do what I could to get royalties.