DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2014 - Spring Training!

Dolfan in NYC

I was looking over the list of non-roster invitees for the Mariners this year and saw the name Burt Reynolds. Imagine my disappointment when I found out it was some guy from the Dominican Republic and not THE Burt Reynolds.

I was looking over the list of non-roster invitees for the Mariners this year and saw the name Burt Reynolds. Imagine my disappointment when I found out it was some guy from the Dominican Republic and not THE Burt Reynolds.

Oh yeah!  Totally forgot about him.  Rippa and I were totally confused about him years ago because:

1) he is from the Dominican with that name

and

2) he is Robinson Cano's cousin.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24379156/the-ms-signed-robinson-canos-cousin-and-his-name-is-burt-reynolds

Dr. Frank Jobe - the man who invented Tommy John surgery - passed away at the age of 88

Y'all should go watch the 30 For 30 short on John and Jobe.

I know it was mentioned in the TV thread, but i love David Samson being the first person voted off on Survivor.

If only someone had said they voted him off because they were from Montreal and he helped kill the Expos.

It really is amazing. Javy Baez is making nearly everyone on the main roster look stupid. It sucks that Theo is going to keep Javy in AAA until he dominates the pitching there, but I get it. Hopefully he beats AAA into submission.

And I've been paying a lot of attention to the Cubs in Spring Training this year and I'm starting to think that they had a sneaky good offseason. We'll see, but their starting pitching still isn't good or consistent enough to get the team over the .500 hump for this season.

Cubs Park holds 13,000, which is more than every park in Florida. Today's game is the one over the next two weeks that *may* not be immediately sold out for lawn seats, so we're pushing out luck since the rest of the schedule today is... not good.

And yeah Craig, it's supposed to be gorgeous... but it's brand new, and it's the Cubs, so getting in takes an act of god. I'm terrified about the hipsters and bros that are probably going to be populating the place.

FWIW, I've been to five parks out here now (six games in total), and I'd argue that all are better across the board than their Florida counterparts. Cheap/free parking? Cheap/free tickets? Tons of craft beer options? (mostly). Unique concessions? It's like night and day compared to the Grapefruit League.