DVDVR Message Board

The Big Game v.48

Dolfan in NYC

For my money, he's clearly behind Montana (everyone is clearly behind Montana) and he's right there with Brady, Unitas, Graham, and Elway.

But this the second time we've gotten the "If (read: when) he wins this super bowl, he will be the unquestioned best of all-time" narrative.  And if him beating the Saints in 2009, or the Seahawks today, would have made him #1, what does him losing and playing poorly mean?

I respect the hell out of him,  Amazing football player.  But I enjoy rooting against him, because it's fun and more often than not, you get great moments like tonight if you stick with it.

Also, just for the record, the Lions suck.  There, saved you some time.

*sigh*

I just wanted Peyton to win so jerks like Brian Fowler, whose team hasn't won anything since before most of our parents were born, would shut up.

I just can't stand the whole PEYTON AIN'T SHIT, FUCK HIM IN THE ASS WITH A CHAINSAW meme. I can appreciate not liking a certain player or not thinking he's the best. But the narrative surrounding Peyton is fucked up. In my Colts fan opinion, of course.

To be honest, there are two narratives about Peyton:

One is the current (well, before tonight) HE'S THE GOAT. BEST WHO EVER DID IT. HIS VARIOUS LOSSES IN THE PLAYOFFS AREN'T ALL HIS FAULT, FOOTBALL'S A TEAM SPORT, HE WON ONE, NUMBERS DON'T LIE.

The other is the soon to be current narrative, which is the previous narrative, which is that he's an utterly overrated choker.

Neither is actually correct, it's all somewhere in the middle. He's very, very good. First ballot HOF. He has occasionally played well in February. He is absolutely not however the GOAT. He's somewhere around 5 or 6 all time.

Exactly this, holy shit.

*sigh*

I just wanted Peyton to win so jerks like Brian Fowler, whose team hasn't won anything since before most of our parents were born, would shut up.

I just can't stand the whole PEYTON AIN'T SHIT, FUCK HIM IN THE ASS WITH A CHAINSAW meme. I can appreciate not liking a certain player or not thinking he's the best. But the narrative surrounding Peyton is fucked up. In my Colts fan opinion, of course.

Its a direct reaction to your terrible OH PEYTON IS SO GREAT HE IS THE GREATEST gibberish. When was he drafted, 98? One year out with neck surgery so 15 years in the league and he's 1-2 in the Superbowl. Brady is 3-2. That's greatness.

Brady is 3 and 2 instead of 1 and 4 directly because of Adam Vinatieri's foot.

Also, just for the record, the Lions suck.  There, saved you some time.

You know what makes the Lions so bad?  They wasted Barry Sanders' career.  And they'll waste Calvin Johnson's.  All because they can't get out of their own way.  To have players that special and not do everything it takes to help them win is a cardinal sin in team sports.

It's disappointing and just plain sad.  The Lions franchise didn't deserve Barry and they don't deserve Megatron.  The fans do, but not the franchise.

Not even joking on that.

*sigh*

Its a direct reaction to your terrible OH PEYTON IS SO GREAT HE IS THE GREATEST gibberish. When was he drafted, 98? One year out with neck surgery so 15 years in the league and he's 1-2 in the Superbowl. Brady is 3-2. That's greatness.

Brady is 3 and 2 instead of 1 and 4 directly because of Adam Vinatieri's foot.

If we're doing that, one of those is more because of John Kasay's foot...

le sigh

• Like 1