DVDVR Message Board

Oscars 2014

The Natural

http://shine.yahoo.com/fashion/detective-hired-investigate-oscar-snub-192200755.html

One songwriter who didn't get nominated has hired a PI to look into the situation.

The thing with Alone Yet Not Alone is shady as fuck, but this seems like a slight over-reaction. 

Quite fascinating, apparently AYNA doesn't actually meet the qualifications for an Academy Award nominee, though when it was brought to the Academy they basically went "Eh...close enough!"  Also, I did not know that the guy who did the song (Bruce Broughton), used to be a member of the Academy's board of governors!).  I think someone who got snubbed this year should make a movie about this whole thing and see if they can guilt the Academy into nominating it or else promise it'll be advertised as "The movie the Academy doesn't want you to see!" 

I can understand why people are pissed. It's no secret the Academy is full of cronyism and politicking, but even by their low standards, this Alone Yet Not Alone nomination is ludicrous.   

Not sure what's worse: that they did it, or were arrogant enough to think they could do it without raising any eyebrows.

I can understand why people are pissed. It's no secret the Academy is full of cronyism and politicking, but even by their low standards, this Alone Yet Not Alone nomination is ludicrous.   

Not sure what's worse: that they did it, or were arrogant enough to think they could do it without raising any eyebrows.

And, it's been dropped!

The Academy will not be replacing the nomination, instead the category will have just 4 nominees.

Now it’s out of the race completely as the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences rules that its composer, a former governor of the music branch and current member of its executive committee, took advantage of his leadership position to improperly lobby fellow members of the branch.

In an interview with Entertainment Weekly’s Clark Collis after the nominations, Bruce Broughton acknowledged that he urged the members of his branch to consider the song, but insisted he had done nothing wrong.

“What happens is that the music branch of the Academy puts all the songs on a disc and I was concerned that this song would be really easy to overlook. So, yeah, I wrote some people and said, ‘Could you just take a look.’ That was literally the extent of the campaigning. I received in the mail songs from other films that were pressed and recorded CDs. We didn’t do anything like that at all.”

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences didn’t think his actions were so innocent. In a meeting of its Governors Board on Tuesday night, the panel voted to rescind the Original Song nod for Alone Yet Not Alone — one of the few times in history the Oscars organization has yanked one of its nominations.

• 4 weeks later...

This takes place Sunday. My predictions from early on in the topic:

Guesses as of right now:

Best Picture: 12 Years a Slave. Gravity and American Hustle closest challengers.

Best Actor: Chiwetel Ejiofor (12 Years a Slave)

Best Actress: Cate Blanchett (12 Years a Slave) Amy Adams in American Hustle might have a slim chance having missed out a couple of times before, but then again Peter O'Toole never won one. Wouldn't count out Sandra Bullock for Gravity.

Best Supporting Actor: Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club).

Best Supporting Actress: Jennifer Lawrence (American Hustle).

Best Director: Alfonso Cuaron. Think it's a two horse race between Cuaron and Steve McQueen.

I was considering changing Best Actor for Matthew McConaughey.

McConaughey should win the Oscar for True Detective.

Which makes little sense, I know, but still.

I actually saw a site that figured 'True Detective' is basically gonna win him the Oscar and Emmy.

My predix:

BP: 12 Years a Slave

Director: Alfonso Cuaron

Actor: McConaughey

Actress: Blanchett

S.Actor: Leto

S.Actress: L.Nyong'o

Matthem McConaughey SHOULD win the Oscar, but I can see the Academy saying, "We're sorry for screwing you all those other times and not even nominating you last year, so here's your Oscar" to DiCaprio.  Like how Denzel Washington SHOULD have won for Malcolm X, but they gave it to him for Training Day. But I also think Leo gave an Oscar worthy performance, so as far as I'm concerned, it's a two man race for Best Actor. Chiwetel Ejiofor wins easily any other year.

Best Suppporting Actress should be no debate.  Lupita Nyong'o should win this award easily.

I don't think that's a great example because Denzel really did give the best performance that year and made Training Day WAY better than it had any right to be.  Al Pacino winning for Scent of a Woman (and screwing over Denzel that year) was right there.

I just watched Wolf of Wall Street last night and I'd have no qualms if DiCaprio or Hill won (which they won't), but I thought both their performances were outstanding.

I think caley's predictions are spot on.  Jennifer Lawrence probably would have won if she hadn't already won last year.

I don't think that's a great example because Denzel really did give the best performance that year and made Training Day WAY better than it had any right to be.  Al Pacino winning for Scent of a Woman (and screwing over Denzel that year) was right there.

I'd have given Best Actor to Clint Eastwood for Unforgiven that year but I'm a big fan of him and that film.

McConaughey should have won for Killer Joe.  The term "revelation" is such a cliche when it comes to reviewing an actor's performance but it was apt here.

It was like, not only can this guy act, but he's actually tremendously unsettling when he wants to be.

Leo should definitely win for Wolf, but as a whole, it was about a half hour too long. They also never really bothered to explain what, exactly, they were doing that was so illegal (Leo started, and then just as soon as he began, decided to audience wasn't interested in it, so summed it up by saying they were selling shit stocks, which is neither illegal nor the reason why Jordan was brought down, but whatever.) Of course, I haven't seen ANY of the other nominated films, so what do I know.