DVDVR Message Board

Possibly because WWE didn't want to get sued by whoever owned the rights to Nirvana?

Wouldn't fly - the "Jimmy Hart Version" would be in public domain. I think that's partially the reason why they didn't use a lot of WCW themes (other than the main reason, which is likely "they are WCW themes.")

I think it's still a situation of the Jimmy Hart Version being too close. Even WCW altered/replaced it in their video games:

They change Raven's WCW theme for the Network as well. They use the WWE version with the cawing at the beginning but without the lyrics.

Well yeah, but most of us could have had excellent matches with Benoit in 97/98.

I've been watching those '97 Nitro's on WWEN lately, and it's amazing how over he is despite not being heavily pushed. I mean, the same could be said for others too. I know it's not like he was in super serious angles, but the crowd was definitely digging him. I wonder how his career/life would've panned out had he done more than feud with Sullivan, Raven, Bo7 with Booker T and tag with Dean.

Well yeah, but most of us could have had excellent matches with Benoit in 97/98.

I've been watching those '97 Nitro's on WWEN lately, and it's amazing how over he is despite not being heavily pushed. I mean, the same could be said for others too. I know it's not like he was in super serious angles, but the crowd was definitely digging him. I wonder how his career/life would've panned out had he done more than feud with Sullivan, Raven, Bo7 with Booker T and tag with Dean.

Yeah, I don't think people remember how over guys like Benoit and Malenko were in WCW.  Malenko taking off the Ciclope mask was about as big of a pop as you can get.  I was a bigger fan of WCWs midcard than their main event for most of their big run. 

Page was a huge deal, he was arguably the #2 babyface in the business during the biggest money making period of American wrestling.  The Diamond Cutter was a phenomenon.  I remember when a couple of people on the high school soccer team got suspended for hitting each other with Diamond Cutters during practice.  It was every bit as big as the RKO from nowhere thing, but without YouTube to push it into the main stream.  He is actually someone who could have been bigger if WCW wasn't ass backwards. 

Page's emergence came during the NWO angle. He was one of the first guys to turn them down and then feuded with NWO era Savage. I remember when he turned down joining the NWO. It was a pretty big deal because they openly courted him. When he turned Hall and Nash down that was the moment he went from lower midcard guy to Upper Midcard and eventually the Savage feud. The Savage feud gave him the cred to be US champ (even though it was a short reign). No guy worked their way from the bottom to Main Event quite the way DDP did.

James 

I think people would be shocked how many that are considered good/great workers actually script their matches beforehand. 

Calling it in the ring, much like die-cast construction, is becoming a lost art.  I wonder how many in WWE right now can actually do it outside of basic spot sequences.

(Also, don't pan guys that call it in the back so badly - believe me, that shit's hard, especially if you don't have a great memory to begin with.  The one major singles match I did in ECCW was completely worked out beforehand, and my brain almost exploded trying to keep it all straight - and that match only went about six minutes.)

DDP and HHH strike me as very similar when I think about their careers. They got put in positions they probably didn't deserve based on their political maneuverings yet they eventually did well in those spots.

Imagine WCW never collapses and Bischoff remains in charge. DDP winds up in a position of power for as long as he likes.

Page didn't get anything he didn't deserve. He was friends with Bischoff in '94 when he was jobbing and easy sudden the cats. He got in better shape, got better in the ring, established the Diamond Cutter, and got over. Then he got one big angle and ran with it and got massively over.

And he still didn't get the belt until way later than he probably should have.

Of course, I also think Triple H belonged in the main event, so...

That's glossing over a lot of the politics in WCW and other people who were more over or more talented not getting those same chances. Page had his in because of Bischoff and because of Hall & Nash. There were a bunch of guys who were incredibly over in the midcard who the top guys simply refused to even do programs with.

How can you really determine if he "deserved" it or not? Politics is part of any business and Page played them well, just like HHH did.

His opportunities weren't purely merit based but they rarely are in wrestling. Like I mentioned, he did well once he got them but I'm sure if you go back and look at the various stages of his ascension, you'll find guys at his level who are more over and better performers who didn't get the same opportunity.

Remember that he went from feuding with Eddy over the silly BattleBowl ring to Hall and Nash giving him the rub when the nWo was burying everyone.

It was Savage that essentially saw tht Page was "Kegit" He was the on who tld Bischoff that he was willing to let Page get that HUGE PPV win, in a match people assumed Savage was going to win. That was his major "rub". If Randy Savage says you got the fuckin goods then you got the fuckin goods and welcome ot the big time!

James

Here's a challenge to all the DDP doubters. 

Watch ANY 1997 Nitro, they're all on the Network and then come back and tell me that DDP wasn't one of the most over people on the roster. 

Once DDP got good in the ring (which was around 95 or so), he was one of those guys where you never really saw a bad match of his. He might have a boring match or an average one but you never saw an out and out trainwreck no matter who he was in the ring with. He was extremely competent in the ring and I mean that as a compliment.

Yeah, that is a fair assesment. DDP was a guy that was not impressive but then around 95, he started puttign everything together. It was actually the feud with Eddy over the BattleBowl ring where it really started to come out and then by 97 the Savage feud brought out his full potential. In 2 yers, he went from carryable to a better than solid worker with flashes of brilliance. That and the crowd connected with him because of his common man vibe. I mean listen to the pop he gets after the La Parka incident. It's like Dusty in Tampa HUGE!

James

Here's a challenge to all the DDP doubters. 

Watch ANY 1997 Nitro, they're all on the Network and then come back and tell me that DDP wasn't one of the most over people on the roster. 

I don't think anyone is doubting that.

It seemed like you were. Which wrestlers were you referring to that were more over that didn't receive a push?