DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

I caught Jacob's Ladder last night for the first time in many, many years. Do not wish that experience on anybody but the one time. It will destroy you, mark my words.

I watched it for the DVDVRMC a long time ago. I do not remember it having a huge affect on me, but it was in a period where I watched a lot of that ilk.

I probably should revisit it.

One thing that struck me was the similarity to Angel Heart, an equally brilliant film that I never got around to when I was a kid but finally saw last year. Except, this is way more powerful, less literal, and just plain devastating. 

I watched Premium Rush last night and I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by how enjoyable it was. I remember the previews for it and at the time I thought it was just a modern day Quicksilver. I think it's better than Quicksilver, but it's not like the bar was set very high or anything. Even still, it was good. JGL did a more than serviceable job and Michael Shannon is awesome. He's really channeling Willem Dafoe at times. Anyway, if I had to stick a rating on it, I'd give it 7/10.

I'd say Premium Rush is one of the most enjoyable racist/sexist movies I've seen made in the last few years. The whole time me and my wife were going "That's fucked up but this is weirdly fun." I think Michael Shannon just going for broke on everything saved the day. The ending reminded me of Hackers(One of my favorite films!) but with bikes instead of computers.

http://www.rogerebert.com/mzs/grim-and-endless-night-sweet-prince-of-darkness-hr-giger

I almost put it in the Giger thread but think it goes better here. Having bought Topps' Fright Flicks cards as a kid (WITH THE ALIEN SCENES IN THEM!!!) his comment about the Alien cards being a "wholly inappropriate product" made me laugh so hard. Hell, I still have some of those stashed away in my closet. The warping of a young mind...

I'd say Premium Rush is one of the most enjoyable racist/sexist movies I've seen made in the last few years. The whole time me and my wife were going "That's fucked up but this is weirdly fun." I think Michael Shannon just going for broke on everything saved the day. The ending reminded me of Hackers(One of my favorite films!) but with bikes instead of computers.

I really wanted to slug Nima for being an idiot, the writers for making Nima a ridiculous ethnic sterotype, and Jamie Chung for having the worst Chinese accent for an actress of actual Chinese descent.

Movie was saved by Michael Shannon being awesome and Dania Ramirez being hot.

I caught Jacob's Ladder last night for the first time in many, many years. Do not wish that experience on anybody but the one time. It will destroy you, mark my words.

I saw Jacob's Ladder in college with a friend and we walked out of the theater having no idea what we'd just seen.  We talked about it the whole way home and never did conclude anything.

I need to watch it again.

I saw Jacob's Ladder in college with a friend and we walked out of the theater having no idea what we'd just seen.  We talked about it the whole way home and never did conclude anything.

I need to watch it again.

I saw it in the theater and my friends and I went from going "Heh...LaLush, man...it's fuckin' Nuke Lalush...Heh hehe."  To going...

...dude...

um...did that nurse just..

dudeOHMYFUCKINGGOD!!!!!!!!!

But I also came out of it thinking...yeah, that all sucked for him, but I think I'd go through all that just for that moment when I'm laying in bed with Elizabeth Pena.

Finally got around to seeing Bad Milo.  It was my favourite movie about an ass demon ever!  But yeah, it was silly fun with a great cast: Ken Marino, Patrick 'Puddy' Warburton, Peter Stormare, Gillian Jacobs and Erik Charles 'Garrett from Community' Nielsen, Mary Kay Place, Kumail Nanjiani and Toby Huss.

In the interest of complete contrast, tonight as I'm still trying to heal my busted knees, I went from Night of the Hunter (missed the underwater burial scene goddammit), to Dead Calm (awesome, and the curly red hair makes skinny-minny Nicole Kidman actually attractive to me), to TNA (see Pro Wres main thread), to Friday. If Friday hasn't been a pick for the film club, it needs to be

Just watched Project A2

Jackie Chan is probably the best performer of my life time. He and his films are probably not the most influential on my as a human or artist, but there's not really anyone who makes me stare in awe at what he's doing like he does. He's funny, athletic, cuddly cute, and fearless - pretty much the dream male. He's the final evolution of Buster, Lloyd & Chaplin. I don't think anyone goes beyond what he's done on film.

• Like 1

I feel sorry for Jackie, all the american directors he worked with were such "fans" that they just wanted to recreate his best bits, instead-of working with him to create new stuff.  Imagine what he could have done with the Rush Hour 3 budget on his own.

A lot of that is due to union/insurance restrictions on western productions. There's a featurette on the Rush Hour DVD where Jackie talks about just doing a jump over a wall required him to use wires and a pad to fall on.

Also Jackie had pretty poor management for a lot of years got stuck into contracts where he was stuck making schlock like The Spy Next Door.

Jackie given a big budget and total autonomy doesn't necessarily equal greatness - CZ12 (Chinese Zodiac) isn't that great. And since he fired his manager there is no one to tell Jackie to shut up so he has made bad publicity for himself the past few years.

Just watched Project A2

Jackie Chan is probably the best performer of my life time. He and his films are probably not the most influential on my as a human or artist, but there's not really anyone who makes me stare in awe at what he's doing like he does. He's funny, athletic, cuddly cute, and fearless - pretty much the dream male. He's the final evolution of Buster, Lloyd & Chaplin. I don't think anyone goes beyond what he's done on film.

Based on FIRST STRIKE, his ass was better than Buster, Lloyd, and probably Chaplin.

In the late 80s to early 90s, Jackie Chan's movies were like this thing whispered about.  This thing that everyone else in the world knew about but no on in m little corner of St. Louis had ever seen.  When I finally tracked some down, at the Vietnamese video store down on South Grand Ave. in St. Louis and, it was magic.  I, like, pulled the shades down like I was about to watch some elicit smuggled video nasty.  They were subbed into Vietnamese with subtitles in like three different languages pasted over the original English subs from the Hong Kong print.

It was the thing that made me like movies again.  I was in that cynical phase of hating everything, and to see that sheer level of dedication and absurd joy in the physical exercise of making something astounding happen with almost no money..with nothing but sweat and skill and improvised innovation.  And with all that against you, to produce films that, In the greatest tradition of acrobats and dancers, redefine what is and is not possible!

But the more I watched, the more I realized that on top of the action set pieces both he and Sammo Hung and a few others from that scene were genuinely great film-makers in a really old-fashioned Hollywood way.  They made action comedies that were both insane and at times bizarre but also had this Capra-esque heart and storytelling compared to the dour roided-up American Big-shot bodycount movies.

He was also my introduction into one of the most magical eras in film history: Hong Kong from say 1981 to 1998 or so and through that into a much deeper appreciation of martial arts films as a genre.

They were my main cultural obsession for about six years or so leading up to my rediscovering pro wrestling, which may in some way have been prepped by my having developed an appreciation for choreography and stunt work as a form as amazing skill and expression.

• Like 2

And let's not forget that he sang one of the greatest 80s BossEPIC power songs of all time:

You know what...I'm pretty sure we did this on one of the old versions but fuck it...

I CALL HONG KONG MOVIE SOUNDTRACK POP SONG BATTLE MOTHERFUCJIERS!!!!!

COME GET SOME!

Do you live in the city or in the burbs such as Chesterfield or St. Chuck? I lived in Creve Coeur until about six years ago when I moved across the river.

When I was a little kid we lived in Creve Couer.  Man, back then there was nothing there.  There was literally a field behind our house with, like an old abandoned one-room schoolhouse in it.  The first time I ever got, like "lost" and got in big trouble was when I was hanging out in there.  It's amazing to think of that much empty space being there now.

After 1st grade we moved out to Manchester Rd, a little north of Fenton, right at what was back then the edge of all the burbs.  Past us was nothing.  Now when I go back there, my folks house in the middle of this fucking snarled overdeveloped suburban hellscape.  The "edge" of nothing has moved another 10 miles miles or so west I guess.

Goddammit.  Do I have to do this whole thing: