DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

It's sort of shocking that Cruise doesn't have one already, considering the number of films he has been in that have had a billion nominations. 

That's an interesting question: Which actors have been in the most films with nominations (total nominations, not just acting nods) that haven't won an academy award? DiCaprio and Cruise both have to be way up there. 

I don't think he had the most,(that's probably Leo), but Peter O'toole is probably the most glaring. . . 

Random thought about a film:

I remember back when I was in grad school, a bunch of us in my program went to see "Sixth Sense" in the theater. Blown away at the end. Amazed. Had the director pegged for ongoing greatness to come.

Fast forward the following Tuesday: We're still talking about the film, when one of the other students, name was Mike, one of those guys that puts himself above everyone else, initiates quixotic crusades for justice for the department & the students, pseudo-intellectual ... whole nine ... pipes up, "Yeah, I guessed the ending before even halfway through."

And I went ballistic. I called bullshit, and told him there was no way in hell, blah blah blah, and looking back I think I was even pretty close to telling Mike to meet me outside in the parking lot.

Dunno what made me think of that situation, but I had to get that off my mind, for work's sake. Fuck Mike.

I said to my buddy during the restaurant scene "Dood. I think he's dead." because Bruce sat down without having to pull the chair out. By that scene there was the weirdness with the door handle and some other stuff with his wife, so it just kind of added up at the time. But we were both surprised when it was actually revealed.

Either way, that movie is still good. I don't give a shit how bad M. Night has gotten. 

In his defense, if you watch a movie knowing there's a twist ending coming and you keep looking for it, you'll probably figure it out.  I would guess you went into it as watching a scary movie and not expecting anything more and got the proper punch in the gut as a result.  I'll throw myself into the former, because I kinda had an idea that's where it was going, but that was after weeks and weeks of "shocking TWIST ending!!!"

I would bet that it's probably about 1 in 20 people who actually saw the twist coming vs those who claim they did. 

I think we all know a dude like nate's Mike.  And we all wanna tell the guy to meet us in the parking lot.

My wife saw it on video, and every fucking person was like "GUESS YOU CAN'T GUESS~!" So she's sitting there trying to figure out the trick and says "Oh he's dead." Her whole family was like "No. No he's not." So when the reveal came she was all "What the fuck, you guys?" If people keep challenging that you'll never guess, chances are you'll guess it. It's especially obvious since Bruce gets shot in the first 5 minutes.

This really became the curse of Shyamalan because every movie after you just sit trying to guess the trick he's going to pull. Well not any more. Now a real twist would be him making a good movie again.

I think if someone knew ahead of time there was a super big giant twist!!!, the most logical thing that would give it away would just be the expected outcome of the opening scene.

Bruce Willis totally acted like a guy dying and his wound seemed really dire.  It was such a weird prelude to the story to not trigger some big warning flags.  I M. Knight credit for not being sneaky and making the gunshot seem like no big deal.  He really looked like he was dying right there.

My wife saw it on video, and every fucking person was like "GUESS YOU CAN'T GUESS~!" So she's sitting there trying to figure out the trick and says "Oh he's dead." Her whole family was like "No. No he's not." So when the reveal came she was all "What the fuck, you guys?" If people keep challenging that you'll never guess, chances are you'll guess it. It's especially obvious since Bruce gets shot in the first 5 minutes.

This really became the curse of Shyamalan because every movie after you just sit trying to guess the trick he's going to pull. Well not any more. Now a real twist would be him making a good movie again.

To add to a previous point you made, yeah, I don't care how awful M. Night is, I still LOVE Unbreakable and Signs. Man do I love both of those movies. And in each, there isn't really that much of a twist. I remember the trailers for Unbreakable and my friends and I couldn't figure out what the movie was about. Cut to sitting in the theater and there's the opening blurb about comic books and my friends and I have a real "What the fuck?" moment, but in a good way. And the twist, if you want to even call it that, should have been something you could figure out as the movie plays out. Signs scared the shit out of me in the theater. I thought it was a very interesting portrayal of what life would be like as a possible alien invasion plays out. The twist, again, if you want to call it that, was that there was no twist. 

I love quite a few of his movies. Unbreakable is probably my favorite with Lady in the Water in second place. The Village was a really good movie until the last 15 minutes or so. 

It's a shame he's become a joke, because I think he clearly has good ideas.

Fuck The Village.  Holy shit that movie was fucking terrible.  I haven't watched a single thing he did since that fucking piece of shit, and I'm still legitimately angry that I spent money to see that movie in the theater.  Hell, that movie makes me retroactively dislike his earlier work.  Fucking horrible fucking movie.

• Like 1

Fuck The Village. 

The trailer was so good.  I was shaking it was so good. 

How good could if have been if there was no twist.  If it just was what the trailer was.  There's a monster in the woods.  BOO!

That's all you need to do, people.  Monsters are scary.  Woods are scary.  Judy Greer is hot.  /Movie

• Like 2

Man I wanted it all to be real so fucking bad. What's worse, is that I'm pretty sure everyone and their mother saw the trailer and went "I bet they're not really in olden days." - Because that's what me and everyone I knew thought. When it happened I'm pretty sure the entire theatre heard me go "Gaaaaaawddddammmit no."

Man I wanted it all to be real so fucking bad. What's worse, is that I'm pretty sure everyone and their mother saw the trailer and went "I bet they're not really in olden days." - Because that's what me and everyone I knew thought. When it happened I'm pretty sure the entire theatre heard me go "Gaaaaaawddddammmit no."

Yep, that's pretty much how my theater went.  Man, I so wanted to love that movie and it just...burned me.  Grrr.  Unbreakable, Sixth Sense, and Signs are all really good though.  Haven't seen anything since The Village, which is probably not a coincidence.

I have such a dysfunctional relationship with M. Night and his work. 

--I LOVED Sixth Sense.  Just a well told story.

--LOVED Unbreakable.  Went into it completely blind, having no idea what it was about, and to this day it's one of my favorite movies and definitely my favorite of his.

--I LOVED Signs.  Yes, even with the huge plot hold of aliens whose weakness is water invading a planet that is mostly.....water.  I loved it because I love the idea of how an alien invasion affects one single family in a confined space as opposed to what we've seen, how it affects the whole country or world. Not to mention, Mel Gibson and Joaquin Phoeniz both absolutely hit home runs with their performances. 

--I'm one of the few people alive that loved The Village, even with the twist.  Can't entirely explain it, but I really liked it.

Then our relationship changed. 

--I remember seeing trailers for Lady In The Water and being excited. A mystical creature?  Paul Giamatti?  hell yes! But then when I saw it......it just felt so flat and unfocused and dull.  So disappointing to me.  But hey, anyone can stumble once, right? 

--The Happening.  Oh man.  Just......yeah.  But hey, he's done some good stuff.  I won't lose faith in him.  Everything will be OK!

--Never saw The Last Airbender.  Just didn't appeal to me at all.

--Devil.  OK.  Story idea by Shyamalan, also produced by him.  And it turned out......OK.  I didn't hate or love it.  Didn't regret watching it.  So there's hope!  I didn't hate it!  He can still make me happy!

--After Earth.  Well, fuck.  I wasn't even impressed by the trailers, but saw it anyway, because hey, my dude M Night will come through for me, right?  Goddamn, what an awful movie. 

I just keep going back, even though he hasn't really treated me right for years now. 

To add on to my first post on "Sense:"

Me and the classmates saw the film during its first weekend. And I don't really remember seeing too much hype about "SUPER SPECIAL TWIST ENDERNS" so this meant that Asshole Mike had seen it the same weekend, within the same insular bubble of BFVA.

And I, too, really enjoyed Unbreakable and (to an admittedly lesser degree) Signs. I was skeptical of the Village, and when I sought out spoilers prior to seeing it, I was right. Never have looked at Night's work with any enthusiasm since.