DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

I haven't watched Simpsons in over a decade but I'll be damned if I haven't been watching this marathon for the better part of 3 straight days. They're still hilarious and there are a lot more heartwarming moments than I remembered, the end of Bart and Lisa playing hockey, and the story of Maggie's birth, etc are really well done.

I was disappointed to hear that Tori, Grant, and (sob) Kari are leaving Myth Busters. Its definitely an end of an era.

They said they were taking the show in a new direction which I'm wondering if it's code "We don't want to pay 5 people instead of 2" from Discovery.  I'm wondering if they are going to go slower with the myths per ep or going to make the show shorter.

And these early Simpsons eps are pretty addicting...

At 3pm ET today the "You Only Move Twice" episode is on.   Top 3 episode for me; maybe my favorite.

Also it might be generational thing, but I'm definitely a Simpsons guy.  I can't imagine watching this many episodes of South Path or Family Guy even during a marathon.

• Like 1

The simpsons might be the worst example of making a top 5 favorites list and then changing it again 5 minutes later.

How do you decide between Marge vs the Monorail vs Cape Feare vs Bobo vs The softball episode vs kamp krusty vs the germans vs the strike episode?

There must be at least one crazy motherfucker out there who is watching/dvring all of this and is going to unleash a complete ranking of all 552 episodes on a blog somewhere.

I feel confident in saying that probably exists somewhere on the internet already.

Am I the only one who forgot The Simpsons is the best show ever?

It's been SO LONG since I watched these episodes. They're absolutely untouchable.

Hank Scorpio's on now. In one episode, it's a cutting look at the future of corporate tech company towns (any defines the word prescient); a spoof of a James Bond/Phil Knight hybrid who takes over the world; and a touching look at how Homer's finally good at his job but has to give it up because his family hates where they now live. Like, what the hell can touch that?

I missed my favorite episodes: Troy McClure/Selma, Lemon Tree, The Simpsons Get A Pool, the censorship one, etc.

Poochie's on at 9. Can't wait.

I remembered how great the best episodes were (My anticipation last night for Lemon of Troy was absurd) but what I had forgotten was how consistently good the show was on a week to week basis for 10 or 12 years.  Almost every episode is, at a bare minimum, pretty good. 

That level of consistency is insane.  Plus throwing out 4 or 5 stone classics every season.

Randomly flipping to these over the course of the weekend has made me realize how many of the weird sayings I use on a daily basis came from the Simpsons, even though, in most cases, I have no recollection of them actually coming from there.

• Like 1