DVDVR Message Board

Basically DVDVR LiveJournal

I'm borrowing @CSC's comment at the start of the last thread.  Anyway, general life stuff here. 

I'll actually start since I wanted to vent anyway...

My partner Alex and I are trying to buy a vacation cabin/home up in the Catskill Mountains. Have been hunting and searching for just the right place at the right price because, frankly there are some real deals up there. 

So we happen to find a lovely spot in a town we really like called Smallwood, which happens to be about a 5-10 minute drive from the site of the original Woodstock. After a bit of (seemingly unnecessarily) contentious negotiating, we end up agreeing at a price that's slightly under asking (365 vs 375).  We run our inspections and turns out the house needs more or less $40k in work (New roof, big electric fixes, plumbing stuff, some contracting stuff, some landscaping stuff).  All of this is apparently news to the seller and more importantly, his realtor, who he'd told that the house was clean and would pass any inspection without issue.

So, we itemize everything, and say, please give us about 15k in credit.  His reply was to stall for about a week and a half before coming back with a 5k reduction in price.   Annoying.  Very annoying. 

We give a best and final offer of 10k in credit or reduction.  Just to get him to yes, because if he declines all those problems we listed.... they will remain his.  The reply from his realtor:

"He says he's not going to reduce another $5."

So we walked. 

Such a shame, but onward. I *almost* want to share the results of the inspection we had done, just so he knows that whomever ends up with the house (whether it remains his, or another buyer) is gonna have some capital-W work on their hands.  

We'll find a spot, but buying a place is an inherently and necessarily annoying process. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I'm borrowing @CSC's comment at the start of the last thread.  Anyway, general life stuff here. 

My partner Alex and I are trying to buy a vacation cabin/home up in the Catskill Mountains. Have been hunting and searching for just the right place at the right price because, frankly there are some real deals up there. 

So we happen to find a lovely spot in a town we really like called Smallwood, which happens to be about a 5-10 minute drive from the site of the original Woodstock. After a bit of (seemingly unnecessarily) contentious negotiating, we end up agreeing at a price that's slightly under asking (365 vs 375).  We run our inspections and turns out the house needs more or less $40k in work (New roof, big electric fixes, plumbing stuff, some contracting stuff, some landscaping stuff).  All of this is apparently news to the seller and more importantly, his realtor, who he'd told that the house was clean and would pass any inspection without issue.

So, we itemize everything, and say, please give us about 15k in credit.  His reply was to stall for about a week and a half before coming back with a 5k reduction in price.   Annoying.  Very annoying. 

We give a best and final offer of 10k in credit or reduction.  Just to get him to yes, because if he declines all those problems we listed.... they will remain his.  The reply from his realtor:

So we walked. 

Such a shame, but onward. I *almost* want to share the results of the inspection we had done, just so he knows that whomever ends up with the house (whether it remains his, or another buyer) is gonna have some capital-W work on their hands.  

We'll find a spot, but buying a place is an inherently and necessarily annoying process. 

Oh man, I feel you.  I've been through the home buying process twice in my life and it's a pain.  The idea of this guy giving up a sale because you want what amounts to a 1-2% reduction is insane.  Cutting off his nose to spite his face, penny wise and pound foolish, whatever your preferred idiom is.  Yeah, I assume he's banking on it being a seller's market and hoping the next inspector isn't as good as yours obviously was.  What an ass.  Good luck to you guys!

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So we walked. 

Hope you and Alex, cool getting your partner's name get the right place, right time ASAP!

Edited by The Natural

I'm feeling better on the 50mg Trazodone. I met with some friends on Thursday for the first time in ages, Alyson Friday and went to my Mum on Sunday to bring her Easter Egg on. When you have severe depression, the history of self-harm and suicidal thoughts very few know about, just getting out of bed is challenging. In addition to the Cerebral Palsy making my body work four times harder doing the same as those without. I ache and tire so quickly. Been in constant pain ever since I was born to 39.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 5

My parents finally -- after 13 years -- moved out of Broadlands, a small town outside of Champaign-Urbana (so small that it has no stoplight) and we got a house in town again. Two stories, enormous carpeted basement with bathroom (which was to be my den of iniquity). However! There were solar panels attached to the side of the house that the former owner had in hock to the bank, that we wouldn't pay for, that he wouldn't pay for, and the bank wasn't gonna pay for. So it was a short-sell and we lost the house after about a month. Thankfully we got a new place that was way better and just switched the money over to it. No stairs and I'm not living underground, minutes away from work/gas/food/hospital/civilization. The main problem was packing and moving TWICE. Thankfully my vinyl collection wasn't destroyed from going up and down stairs as well.

I have some news. There's Peer Support Training at The Cellar Trust but the price was too much. A few weeks ago I got a call about this but I said the price was an issue, well it's currently free for me paid by the Hope team. It's an intensive course which I finished today. I'm now a Peer Support Worker which means I'll be helping those with mental health issues as The Cellar Trust is a mental health charity. I rarely give myself credit/a pat on the back but will here.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 13

33 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I have some news. There's Peer Support Training at The Cellar Trust but the price was too much. A few weeks ago I got a call about this but I said the price was an issue, well it's currently free for me paid by the Hope team. It's an intensive course which I finished today. I'm now a Peer Support Worker which means I'll be helping those with mental health issues as The Cellar Trust is a mental health charity. I rarely give myself credit/a pat on the back but will here.

That’s awesome! If you’re half as considerate and kind in real life as you are here, then I have no doubt you’ll be amazing at that. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, The Natural said:

God damn, here's to you, man.  That's awesome.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Way to go! That's wonderful news!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

36 minutes ago, Log said:

That’s awesome! If you’re half as considerate and kind in real life as you are here, then I have no doubt you’ll be amazing at that. 

26 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

God damn, here's to you, man.  That's awesome.

19 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Way to go! That's wonderful news!

Thank you so much. Means a lot.

Reached 90 days the day before last. Not bad I guess. 

Unfortunately I went to my group session today and go figure, one of the newbies in the class is an old friend and bandmate who skipped town after raping his girlfriend*. He's back (walked up a couple weeks ago at the place with this absurd handle-bar mustache like it was a fucking disguise) because his dad has cancer, and I guess he's trying to clean up his act. We already did the reintroduction thing so I'm just gonna keep my distance and hope he gets the message. At the very least he lost the mustache...

We also just started on the faith portion of this precious little journey and I don't know how long it lasts. Let's just hope they don't ask for any more inspirational songs for musical therapy or I'm gonna tell her to play Nunslaughter. 

* This would be Friend #3, if anyone's counting

• Like 6

One of the weird things I've discovered I like on Tiktok is there are home inspectors that will show you all the insane bullshit people will try and get by inspections, and also how some inspectors really don't give a shit as long as they get paid. There's a lot of new construction going on that is just fucking ridiculously bad too. It's a real jungle out there.

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

We also just started on the faith portion of this precious little journey and I don't know how long it lasts. Let's just hope they don't ask for any more inspirational songs for musical therapy or I'm gonna tell her to play Nunslaughter. 

Hit them with da business https://youtu.be/wCTrcXckovg?si=J_AftauYfEYrjRpK

• Like 1

On my way to the DEAN show. Flight to Philadelphia was supposed to leave at 11 am. Customs line was the shortest I've ever seen it, and I'm at the departure gate by 8:30 am. Unfortunately the flight has been delayed to 2 pm. So I woke up at 6 am to spend 5.5 hours sitting at my departure gate.

(I could have put this in the DEAN thread, but it's not the "Complain about your flights" thread)

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

On my way to the DEAN show. Flight to Philadelphia was supposed to leave at 11 am. Customs line was the shortest I've ever seen it, and I'm at the departure gate by 8:30 am. Unfortunately the flight has been delayed to 2 pm. So I woke up at 6 am to spend 5.5 hours sitting at my departure gate.

(I could have put this in the DEAN thread, but it's not the "Complain about your flights" thread)

Now delayed to 3 pm. The agony continues

• Sad 3