DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MARCH 2024

Shartnado

1 hour ago, Just Dave said:

Nah, it’s hilarious. I find FTR pretentious. Also Mox rules.

Funny. I've never thought of them as pretentious but man... they really are, when you look at it. Pretention can be obfuscated when the target is... aesthetically susceptible, I suppose. (Read: "Hey you know this is just MX cosplay." "Yeah... but it's really GOOD MX cosplay!")

• Like 3

I applaud them for being two dull mechanics who turned "being two dull mechanics" into their gimmick.  Some real 3D chess there.  Like, "we're not two boring, nondescript white guys whose only value is giving you a good 20 minutes!  We're old school wrestlers!"  Gotta respect that hustle.  It's like a con inside a con inside a con.  Con-ception.

It's like when Primus turned "Primus sucks" into a catchphrase, thus sidestepping legitimate criticism.

It's funny to realize guys like John Walters just had to take their "boring technician" gimmick a few more inches into 70s & 80s cosplay territory and they would have been something.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 5

This reminds me of that series of Achewood strips where Ray is prank calling various other comic strip characters and Beef is cheering him on.  Someone's going to be laughing in my ear and asking me to do Mike Bailey next.

05202003.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Yeah, people can be forgiving when you say you idolize/cosplay as the “right” people.

for most people… Bret sycophants are good and the ones for Shawn are bad. 

5 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Yeah, people can be forgiving when you say you idolize/cosplay as the “right” people.

for most people… Bret sycophants are good and the ones for Shawn are bad. 

I can't stand any idolize/cosplay gimmick if it's just pretty much 1:1.  I've already seen Bret, Shawn, Tully, Arn, etc. the first time.  In person, multiple times.  I need something more than "hey remember these guys!  You liked them, right?"  Hate the Bucks all you want but when they were doing Rockers cosplay while at the same time stealing the clique's gimmicks, they were trying to be annoying.  FTR is the Force Awakens of wrestling.

Edited by Technico Support

21 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Funny. I've never thought of them as pretentious but man... they really are, when you look at it. Pretention can be obfuscated when the target is... aesthetically susceptible, I suppose. (Read: "Hey you know this is just MX cosplay." "Yeah... but it's really GOOD MX cosplay!")

Right. I enjoy their matches a lot of the time, but nothing makes me roll my eyes harder than "look how great a match we're having!!!"

• Like 1

I don't know if pretentious is the right word but FTR put the dates of their matches with the Briscoes on their tights for the last match and I thought that was definitely corny. Of course, Ospreay got a wrong attendance number tattooed on his body so it's not just them, other people in AEW are very proud of themselves

Either way, FTR are still considered a top AEW tag team and they got trounced right before they're in a tag title tournament and the guys who beat them just disappeared. It's the booking or lack thereof I have an issue with

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I applaud them for being two dull mechanics who turned "being two dull mechanics" into their gimmick.  Some real 3D chess there.  Like, "we're not two boring, nondescript white guys whose only value is giving you a good 20 minutes!  We're old school wrestlers!"  Gotta respect that hustle.  It's like a con inside a con inside a con.  Con-ception.

It works, too. I love FTR and have no real interest in all the dull mechanics in AEW who are just dull mechanics.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just to keep things straight, I have absolutely no problem with imitators. If you imitate something I like and do it well, I'm all about it. My record collection full of Discharge soundalikes salutes you. 

Pretentious - attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

The arguable best tag team in wrestling seem less fitting than…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

It's funny to realize guys like John Walters just had to take their "boring technician" gimmick a few more inches into 70s & 80s cosplay territory and they would have been something.

I read this as "John Waters" and was highly confused for a minute. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Bayley on Mercedes Mone:

She's the best. I wouldn't be here without her. She's done so much for me, even after she was done with WWE, she's been there for me in my big moments. So I know I need to be there for her continuously throughout the years.

It was incredible. I'm just happy that she was on a Wednesday where I'm like, 'Alright, I can actually make a Wednesday, that's one of our few days off.'

It was really special to see her celebrate that with her family and her friends and people she started wrestling with and see her welcomed by a new family.

It's bittersweet, but I'm very, very, very proud of her and just so grateful we got to be there.

• Like 3

On 3/22/2024 at 11:44 AM, Technico Support said:

It's like when Primus turned "Primus sucks" into a catchphrase, thus sidestepping legitimate criticism.

Legitimate criticism of Primus? The most commom criticism of Primus I see is usually that Les Claypool's playing is too out there and his style wouldn't have fit Metallica.

I was always a fan of John Walters. I really like his Fight Without Honor against Xavier at Final Battle '03. Walters got to show off some of his personality after he joined The Embassy. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 3

Criticism of either Primus constitutes blasphemy and should be avoided.

Of course, it's possible you guys are discussing some third "Primus" who isn't a robot god at all. In which case - carry on.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I'm only offended that I can't seem to segue this thread into a discussion of robot gods in pop culture.

Buckethead is kind of a robot guitar god, and he played with Les Claypool in the supergroup, Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains, so it all ties together. 

11 hours ago, Godfrey said:

Either way, FTR are still considered a top AEW tag team and they got trounced right before they're in a tag title tournament and the guys who beat them just disappeared. It's the booking or lack thereof I have an issue with

My guess is FTR wins and Mox & Claudio return from their world tour to challenge having previously bested them. If done right could be a very interesting story. If not, darn.