DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2024 Wrestling Talk

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Where I am in my rewatch, they're debuting all these guys at a breakneck speed but none of them are making any sort of waves. Hakushi is the only one, but he's been miscast as a heel. However, you have old HOG, Aldo Montoya, Kama, Bundy, Man Mountain Rock, MANTAUR!, the Blu Brothers. There are probably one or two I am forgetting. However, it's like get someone over and then bring in the next guy. 

Road Dogg technically came in in late 94 as well. Apart from that, I think Tekno Team 2000 and Jean-Pierre Laffite are probably debuting soon in your rewatch.

Man Mountain Rock is a weird case. He has a great look, is a legit amateur wrestling All American and had a gimmick that was (I think) not complete bullshit. Yet, he completely suck in the the couple of squashes I have seen from that timeframe. I know he was involved in the Cactus Jack vs. Nasty Boys feud (though I vaguely remember him dangerously, recklessly even, blowing stuff in the Clash match that set up the Superbrawl match), was he any good besides that in WCW?

Edited by Robert S

Maxx Payne is a fun garbage brawler, but you're not getting anything more out of him than you'd get out of post-prime Rocco Rock, IMO. 

Good guy to have on the roster, though. 

• Like 1

Yes, I cannot wait until we get to the jacket thievery. This goes especially after this past weekend where at the UFC 298 post presser, Merab Dvalishvilli threatened to steal Sean O'Malley's new prized jacket having already stolen another jacket. Maybe the country of Georgia had a history of pirates no one knew about.

Anyway, yeah, I have seen like three Man Mountain Rock squashes and they all suck. Vince even dropped his real name Daryl Peterson on commentary when talking about his amateur wrestling background, which was really surprising. The previous week or maybe the same week, they tell everyone Diesel's real name is Kevin Nash. Wild times.

He probably should be in ECW cause the only time he was acceptable was in violent ass brawls. When you've seen the Steiners execute suplexes more creatively and having better delivery, then what he does comes off as lackluster. Scott was dragon suplexing people on their head as a transition move. Unless he's doing that, it won't get a response from the crowd. The attire he is wearing is also awful and tacky by WWF standards. It looks like they got him from Indy Wrestlers R Us.

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The Dominator was the best move nobody ever uses (along with the shoulderbreaker [Edge did it though recently!] and Scott Steiner's backflip fallaway slam) so this ties back into wrestling, neato

If you follow the Dinosaur Dracula page on Facebook you will see so many goddamn forgotten foods of the '80s and '90s. I think the dude collects McDonald's styrofoam containers and Chef Boyardee cans, ffs. 

The Discontinued Foods account on Twitter and Bluesky is a wrestling fan, especially 80s and 90s WWF.

• Like 1

Maxx Payne's gear in WCW, he looked like he was wearing a "Wrestling attire" version of his regular clothes. When he showed up in WWF, he was dressing like a fake metalhead. Like if Vince had somehow never heard of heavy metal, but had it explained to him by someone who knew, only Vince zoned out after hearing "Well, it started with the hippies in the 60s".

I think everyone in wrestling decided to not do the Dominator any more after Giant Singh killed that guy while attempting it.

19 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

Legit scary midcard WCW stables were always a thing

So I had no idea who Blackblood was and checked the YT comments and learned, but also learned that there are a handful of VERY passionate Kenny Kendall fans (and that's not including a number of comments that seem to be deleted praising him!)

15 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

To be fair, I would add the caveat of Men on a Mission started out over when they came in and then progressively got not as over. Then their "solution" was just phase out the sole purpose of why they are over in the first place. It doesn't help Oscar can only do G rated raps while Max Caster can talk about literally anything unless it's too controversial. They can't change it up and more importantly, WWF never took the steps to change it up other than to fire Oscar.

Bret Hart Oscar/MOM stories from his book. So very Bret ("New rap sound")

"One of [Owen's] latesst victims was Oscar, the fat rapper manager of a new black tag team called Men On a Mission,or M.O.M. Three hunderd pound Mo was cool and mellow with a dyed-white buzz cut and carried the team. Mabel was a 450-pound mass with a white mohawks, who didn't do much but stand there in hideous, baggy purple silk pants. But their gimmick capitalized on the new rap sound,and when Oscar came out shouting on the live mic,"Get your hands up in the air!" he really pumped up the crowd. Owen egged on the 1-2-3 Kid until he tried to seize the heavy, out-of-shape Oscar in close quarters. Kid expected to manhandl Oscar and jumped right on his back but Oscar panicked, charged back and forth into the walls and knocking Kid silly!"

and

"After the show that night, I asked one of the locals where there was a good rock 'n' roll bar and he suggested a place called Lizard Lounge. I told Oscar, the manager from Men On a Mission, to meet me there, but when I showed up with Kid, my faithful sidekick of late, it turned out ot be a heavy metal hangout with neo-Nazi skinheads guarding the door.

Then Oscar strolled through the front doors, oblivious to the slack jaws and scowls of the doormen. When he said "Wassup Bret?" I told him to stay real close. Only then did he check out the place and realize he might as well have come to a Klan rally. But Oscar was a man, and he wasn't going anywhere. So we had a few beers and Oscar confided that he was afraid that something was going to off between him and Shawn, Razor, and Diesel, who'd made it clear that they didn't like M.O.M. I told Oscar it it got serious to tell me and I'd keep an eye on things. Then Oscar shuffled out, nodding politely to the skinheads at the door, who nodded back dumb-founded, no doubt wondering whether he had brass balls or no brains!"

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

I remember Cornette saying for some reason he ended up driving with Mo, and Mo said very little the entire time they were in car.

I mean he's fat, Jim. Just bring up Wendy's or any related fast food and there is your common ground right here. I mean you can kill three hours talking about who has the best fries alone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Secret Jewish person Michael Hayes debuts and trades in the stars and bars for the Star of David. It writes itself.

I forget if the story about Michael Hayes asking Brian Gerwitz if Jews celebrate Thanksgiving was known before Brian's book.. but yeah, Michael appears to be one of the non-Jewish Seitz's out there

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

"Fuck it...just ask Vince. He came up with all this shit."

The problem is, Vince is the one telling Pettingill (my least favorite announcer of all time) to say that shit through the headphones. 

I hope somebody is paying you to watch this stuff because watching it for pleasure seems like a seriously dangerous descent into masochism.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Maxx Payne's gear in WCW, he looked like he was wearing a "Wrestling attire" version of his regular clothes. When he showed up in WWF, he was dressing like a fake metalhead. Like if Vince had somehow never heard of heavy metal, but had it explained to him by someone who knew, only Vince zoned out after hearing "Well, it started with the hippies in the 60s".

I think everyone in wrestling decided to not do the Dominator any more after Giant Singh killed that guy while attempting it.

They tried too hard to do the fat guy coverup, which is hilarious cause Bundy is walking around like a giant unpeeled potato. What they cover him up in is way too slobbish.

9 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

The problem is, Vince is the one telling Pettingill (my least favorite announcer of all time) to say that shit through the headphones. 

I hope somebody is paying you to watch this stuff because watching it for pleasure seems like a seriously dangerous descent into masochism.

With it being recorded in Stamford, it's likely that Bruce producing them both. Pettengill's whole entire schtick was just to be more wacky.

• Haha 1

Turkey was the Gates BBQ meal choice for one of my friends who happens to be Jewish, so I'm pretty confident in stating that at the very least, the turkey part of Thanksgiving is probably fine with Jewish people (although I guess you have to follow some rules for slaughtering a turkey)

It's a little less complex than the time I had a roommate from Jeddah, Saudi Arabia in college and I think his pizza order was putting in an effort to avoid pork for obvious reasons

I would like think that Michael Hayes, despite traveling the world over, didn't run into a Jewish person until his 40s and then had a list of questions ready just in case.

• Haha 4

Trying to explain the Kol Nidre to Michael Hayes would likely make my head explode

I can't fathom him comprehending the Yom Kippur War and why Egypt should've attacked during Rosh Hashanah

James

I’ve been thinking about Billy Jack and his situation is right up there with Chris Benoit. He freaking shot his wife. Maybe it wasn’t as much of a shock to hear about this coming from him and maybe he has a whole other shit list of things, which makes it seem like less of a deal but is there much else really that comes close? The answer is yes I know but that also doesn’t make this any less of a tragedy IMO. Also this list of what else isn’t that long. I feel sorry for the guy and I always have for similar reasons that I felt sorry for Chris Benoit. I’m not necessarily excusing him either which is a discussion we’ve had about many tragedies but I thought I would go ahead and say that before he dies and it sounds like I’m looking back with rose colored glasses. He can’t have long himself. 

5 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Bigger surprise NJPW dojo alum: Darryl Peterson or Brian Adams? 

Is that also question for “worst Gaijin NJPW dojo alum?” 

I am not sure I would be surprised at any name given that there isn't like this exclusive list of people who train anywhere. That and both guys kinda fit what they would be looking for. Peterson would have the amateur wrestling credentials especially as a Super Heavyweight. Adams would have the size. It's just that both guys didn't turn into these amazing workers.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I would like think that Michael Hayes, despite traveling the world over, didn't run into a Jewish person until his 40s and then had a list of questions ready just in case.

guess they didn't have a Dok Hendrix/Barry Horowitz interview where they go in-depth into the Torah

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

guess they didn't have a Dok Hendrix/Barry Horowitz interview where they go in-depth into the Torah

Instead of trying to teach him the ways of America, Barry converting Hakushi from Buddhism to Judaism would have been the angle of the year for 1995. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

35 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Instead of trying to teach him the ways of America, Barry converting Hakushi from Buddhism to Judaism would have been the angle of the year for 1995. 

This is reminding me of the time that they had Bradshaw teaching Taka Michinoku how to drive like he was from a third-world country instead of JAPAN.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

This is reminding me of the time that they had Bradshaw teaching Taka Michinoku how to drive like he was from a third-world country instead of JAPAN.

But the thing is they have plenty of cars in developing nations. It would be like if Taka came from the early 19th century prior to the invention of automobiles.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Bringing a new meaning to “Choppy Chopy his Pee Pee” 

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

But the thing is they have plenty of cars in developing nations. It would be like if Taka came from the early 19th century prior to the invention of automobiles.

Maybe if you’re teaching him to drive on the “other side” of the road. Which you also could have had skits with Bradshaw teaching some young British guy too.