DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 1/31 - 2/6/2024 - Ranking in the Dark

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Yesterday, I was  trying to catch up on everything I'd missed in the last few weeks. The match where Mogul Embassy lost the ROH Six Man titles, it really showed how Kaun has taken some major steps in terms of his ring work over the last few months. Or possibly he was always good but never showed it.

Kaun/Toa had a run in the NJPW tag league late last year. It seemed to help them greatly. They seem more in the right position and confident than before. This match tonight with Hanger feels pretty huge for Toa. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Log said:

If Hangman did/does choose RVD, I don't really get it in a kayfabe sense.

I figure if you're choosing your hated rival's opponent, you'd want someone super scary or badass. I know RVD is presented as a legend and all that, but he'd be way down on the list of guys I'd pick to mess up someone I hated. Why not Mox or Lance Archer or Big Bill or something?

Yeah, I'd been meaning to post something similar. Swerve picking one of his own minions works well enough, but RVD would be a real head-scratcher. Best I can come up with is that, in story, they had to get the okay of the person they chose. That would limit Hangman's options somewhat. It would almost certainly rule out Mox, who seems like the obvious choice - a violent psychopath who wins almost all his matches and beat Swerve recently in the Continental Classic.

3 hours ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

Today I learned that you aren't hyped for Denver vs. Oklahoma City!

Shai Gilgeous Alexander is the best wrestling name ever. Now we just have to do something about him being Canadian.

• Like 1

Things I remember from tonight's edition of AEW Dynamite:

Welcome to 2024, when Jeff Hardy and RVD work extended TV matches on cable TV. Did they respond to the Hardys complaining by deciding to give them more TV time?

Moxley fights with Luchadors in suits

Swerve gets Toa a pretty good TV match

The end of that Wardlow/Komander match was pretty sloppy

Ricky Starks throws a drink in Darby's face after they yell at each other in a gymnasium

Sorry Kyle Fletcher, you're not allowed to beat Jericho on TV as we're apparently back to a Jericho/Callis feud. Gnarly turnbuckle spot

The Bang Bang Scissor Gang loves each other

More Toni/Deonna stuff

I didn't actually check enough of the Internet to know RVD was working vs Swerve tonight

Hey, what's a Hardcore match in a promotion that rarely DQs wrestlers in matches?

They're loading up next week's show in Phoenix, aren't they? Tony Khan has a big announcement, Sting/Darby for the titles, Swerve/Hangman 3

• Like 1

I just got home in time for Swerve/RVD. I liked it! I especially liked that they used a logical way to get RVD sitting in the chair so Swerve could knee him off the apron as opposed to just pushing him in and expecting him to sit and sit.

Also, Hook was wearing a D12 shirt and I saw a Twiztid shirt in the crowd. Is horrorcore popular amongst the kids these days?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jenalysis said:

Swerve/Hangman needs a stip where the loser is banned from AEW for 45 days.

"look, you have to prove that this masked man called "The Hangman" is actually Hangman Adam Page"

3 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

We're at the point in AEW where extended squashes are the main event?  😕

they were in the Big Easy... but yeah.. I forget if last week was officially a banger, I know next week is expected to be a banger, and it seems like AEW goes hard at least every other week, and this was not them going hard

I think they announced a Ricky Starks match for Rampage during the Toni match.. right? so he's working a match of some sort in his hometown

and yeah.. I think they're at UNO.. so they had that sitdown interview in one of their basketball gyms.. which is certainly a backdrop

14 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Things I remember from tonight's edition of AEW Dynamite:

More Toni/Deonna stuff

Who would give her wrist beads? 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Dynamite: The Statement from Boston, MA two weeks after Revolution to be announced next week.

Or an HBO MAX deal.

Or TK is announcing Season 2 of All Access.

WHO KNOWS.

- There was nothing outwardly wrong with Moxley vs. Jeff but it was just kinda boring. Really in the middle of all wrestling; I guess because the main was gonna be a hardcore match Mox kept the blade in his locker. I'da rather than then the screwdriver through the earhole, which is a little lame honestly. Twist your own ear lobe. It doesn't hurt that bad. Now think about if it had a big hole in it and the loose skin was hanging farther away from your face and getting twisted. Kinda weak sauce, huh? Jeff is disillusioned. Is that going anywhere? Is he gonna turn into Brother Nero or something, paint his face and wear a bondage suit like Dustin in TNA? 

- For much of the match I thought Toa Leona (AKA Samoa Jones) was Tanga Loa (AKA Camacho in WWE) and eventually figured it out, reading more than watching the match. He looked more like Tanga's daddy though, and wrestled like him too. I'm with Matt, Hangman should have ate this one. Woulda given Swerve a position to mock him from too. 

- One of the Buck middle names is "Braun-John"? 

- Wardlow/Komander follows this show's pattern of everything kind of being a competitive squash. Wardlow fucks up the finish because of his knee or something and yells "FUCK" after the pin. Roddy looks like a cop in training. 

- Darby's angry voice is EXACTLY like a character from a movie and it's killing me because I can't identify it. Somebody help, please.

- Fletcher about put his foot through Jericho's throat and clavicle. The color tone on his pants was strangely disturbing. He took a Codebreaker like Van Dam took RKOs. 

- Toni is hilarious with the face-pulling and the camera going B&W and referencing Anton LaVey and Gordon Solie. Match was typically fine. It struck me that in her facial structure, body type, hair color and clothing that Taya really looks like a living cartoon character. It's a good image for her profession. 

- Despite what I said earlier I don't think any match where the winner gets kicked as hard as Van Dam was giving out is a squash. Going ECW was the best idea for this match because Swerve can't not succeed in that environment. Everything looked very hurty. Did RVD get his bell rung or were commentary talking out of their ass? Hook runs out like "YOU LEAVE MY UNCLE ALONE!" I guess Match #3 is gonna be No Interference or something? 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

"look, you have to prove that this masked man called "The Hangman" is actually Hangman Adam Page"

Maybe TK is going to sign Bruce Pobanz??

#HANGINTHERE

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Who would give her wrist beads? 😀

Goes with "I was gonna tell Taya to keep her tits out but it looks like she already heard me"

EDIT: Oh yeah one more thing. Moxley didn't just run into the CMLL guys; he also ribbed them by pulling out that wacky submission on Jeff, that he clearly would never have done otherwise. I can see him and Dragon rolling in the back, figuring it out and cracking up.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 3

I liked that Swerve and RVD started their match with a counter-argument to the old argument "When RVD throws a chair at you, don't catch it".

As Swerve so considerately demonstrated, if you don't catch the chair, you just get a steel chair bouncing off your face. You haven't really improved your position.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3