DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2023-24 - CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIPS

Dolfan in NYC

14 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I have no idea how the first one wasn't a good decision. They even got the guy open.

I want to know why the Lions suddenly developed an inability to catch passes in the second half.

Being up 17 going into the 4th is huge, they could have forced SF to burn a ton of time in trying to make that up, worst case scenario your up 3 with a few minutes left in the game. 

first 4th down go for it can be second guessed because the FG potentially makes it a 3 score game.

The others  can be chalked up to That's What The Lions Do and you could argue not going for it on those would "send the wrong message to the team" or whatever.

Niners played pretty poorly in the first half, and played a lot better in the second half (including but not limited to Actually Stopping The Run Finally, geez you guys).

Lions all forgot how to catch, too.  That's a big part of it.

7 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Almost felt like actually going for the FG in the end of 1st half pissed himself off mentally much that he wasn't doing it anymore.  

We saw the same thing at the end of the Dallas game after the refs ripped off Detroit. Campbell just couldn't not go for the two. 

Those FG choices were brutal. Just brutal. And that's not in a "in hindsight" way, it seemed obvious in real time. I know that Campbell has an identity he is going for and wants to stick with it. And I respect it, I do. But there needs to be a time and place for it, you can be aggressive and still minimize the risk. its all about balance. I hope this was a learning lesson for him that he can be crazy and chaotic but sometimes its ok to take the safe route.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Those FG choices were brutal. Just brutal. And that's not in a "in hindsight" way, it seemed obvious in real time. I know that Campbell has an identity he is going for and wants to stick with it. And I respect it, I do. But there needs to be a time and place for it, you can be aggressive and still minimize the risk. its all about balance. I hope this was a learning lesson for him that he can be crazy and chaotic but sometimes its ok to take the safe route.

He showed in the first half that he could do exactly that.  You can be aggressive but, man, don't HELP the other team win.  Man, c'mon.

After having some time to calm back down.

Intellectually, I know the Lions just had their best season in literally decades, and are still a young team with a potentially bright future.

But it hurts. And I know it can go badly very easily in the future.

I think I would actually feel better if San Fran had just stomped them.

6 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

After having some time to calm back down.

Intellectually, I know the Lions just had their best season in literally decades, and are still a young team with a potentially bright future.

But it hurts. And I know it can go badly very easily in the future.

I think I would actually feel better if San Fran had just stomped them.

I absolutely would feel better if they'd gotten stomped.  To be up 17 at the half and just throw it all away?  That hurts way more.  And I know I've been blaming Dan Campbell for the second half quite a bit but a LOT of it has to rest on the shoulders of Aaron Glenn.  His "nah, we don't feel like tackling - or covering" style of defense showed up in the second half.  They gave up *27* points in the half.  That's inexcusable.  

For those that are complaining about the NFL being rigged, and all the people saying they won't be watching Chiefs/49ers for whatever the reason, it feels like an NFL version of IWC smarks complaining about WWE booking. Vince McMahon, like Uncle Roger Goodell (The Real Booker of the Year) is going to put over who he sees are the big stars (Cena, Roman/Chiefs, 49ers) instead of the darling du jour (Daniel Bryan, Sami Zayn/Detroit, Baltimore.) 

So Campbell makes the right decision late in the second quarter, and kicked the field goal to go up three scores. So midway through the third quarter, faced with the same scenario, he doesn't kick the field goal? Strange. Situational decision making is important. 

When he refused to attempt the tying field goal in the 4th quarter, all I could think of was Roy McAvoy dunking five balls in the water at the end of Tin Cup instead of doing the smart thing. I guess the spread covering touchdown is akin to holing out with the last ball in your golf bag to lose the U.S. Open. 

• Like 2