DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 1/3 - 1/9/2024 - The Show Must Joe On

We have a NEW AEW CHAMPION!  

A man who overcame tons of adversities and has been wrestling since the 90's under the shadows of others.  A man who fought and overcame every obstacle put in front of him.  It's truly incredible to see how far he's come...  

Welcome, you're NEW AEW Champion!  [[Spoilered for those who haven't seen World's End yet!]]

Spoiler

zn3d9efyxqcb1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 11

Perhaps we'll find out more about Joe's first challenger tonight. My gut is telling me it will be a 'lets heat up Kane again I guess'-guy, like Lance Archer or Brian Cage. I could also see them getting right to Wardlow/Joe as a sort of agreed-upon payment for the help of the then-unknown devil/goons weeks ago, but unless there's a shock Wardlow W (which I don't want, Joe deserves a real reign) I don't dig the timing.

Plus, the Wardlow/Hobbs/Joe stuff for the TNT title in '21 kinda screwed up all three and the belt for a minute there - Id like to put that further in the rearview before revisiting Joe/Wardlow singally

Edit: what do you guys think about this over the next few months?

Joe -> Hangman -> Swerve

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Perhaps we'll find out more about Joe's first challenger tonight. My gut is telling me it will be a 'lets heat up Kane again I guess'-guy, like Lance Archer or Brian Cage. I could also see them getting right to Wardlow/Joe as a sort of agreed-upon payment for the help of the then-unknown devil/goons weeks ago, but unless there's a shock Wardlow W (which I don't want, Joe deserves a real reign) I don't dig the timing.

Plus, the Wardlow/Hobbs/Joe stuff for the TNT title in '21 kinda screwed up all three and the belt for a minute there - Id like to put that further in the rearview before revisiting Joe/Wardlow singally

Edit: what do you guys think about this over the next few months?

Joe -> Hangman -> Swerve

Brian Cage would be a great way to bring in Swerve to the title picture as it'd keep Nana and Mogul Embassy in focus.

That being said, ugh Brian Cage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, porksweats said:

Brian Cage would be a great way to bring in Swerve to the title picture as it'd keep Nana and Mogul Embassy in focus.

That being said, ugh Brian Cage.

I've got a soft spot for Cage because of the early Team Taz days, so I can't co-sign the second point, but I heavy agree on the first. Don't act like the Hangman matches during COVID weren't killer 🙂

The only thing giving me pause is that I feel like there was a concerted effort to get Swerve away from the main event scene by revisiting the Keith Lee stuff (before the match was called off, obviously). I just worry they're going to keep Swerve in a holding pattern for Lee (or a replacement, not necessarily saying Dustin, but I could see them trying to slot like Shane Taylor or OC or someone in there) when it's obvious from the CC that the people are ready for him to go to the next level.

Actually, I kinda stumbled on that one: I guess I wouldn't hate Swerve as an OC INT title challenger?

Edit: to expand on that, I think it'd be even better to wait until Chuck is back from injury, because I bet you could get a lot of great TV out of he and Nana interacting, plus lots of great trios/tags in the build as well

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 2

Doesn't look like a Big Ratings Episode, but very much into OC v Dante. I sense Dante is still figuring things out since his return, but he seems to have gained some confidence. It also seems like he has a more grounded base attack than his spectacular pre-injury high flying act. I sense the flying may return as he goes along. I guess we'll see where that's at tonight. Swerve v Garcia is also an intriguing match-up. I don't quite get Garcia dropping a fall after his victory Sunday. And obviously Swerve shouldn't be losing to anyone. Christian, Cole and Joe promo segments all have enough purpose and should all lead to their next or returning challenges. Tho I've only seen highlights, no matches, I am perhaps mostly here for the debut of Mariah May. She's shown terrific charisma and comic ability thus far. I'm only juding from the highlight packages, but I sense she could be a major boost for the Division. Just hoping post-CC we don't get a rash of shitty interference finishes tonight. Perhaps this would be a good night for a debut (Ali, Nick Nemeth, Benjamin) or return (Bucks, Deeb). 

• Like 2

Just now, HarryArchieGus said:

Perhaps this would be a good night for a debut (Ali, Nick Nemeth, Benjamin) or return (Bucks, Deeb). 

Yeah, I get the vibe that there's going to be something else. Maybe a big angle kickoff?

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Log said:

Yeah, I get the vibe that there's going to be something else. Maybe a big angle kickoff?

I suspect Cole's group will be paid a visit from some of their victims. Hanger-Wardy might be something to consider. And if the Roddy three could save the Trios Championship. Further, if they could shelve Assy and help the Acclaimed get a fresh third, working alongside A Page. Well, that sounds like a heckuva deal too. I just really wish they'd let Billy be an excellent cornerman, and save his abilities as a nostalgia pop wrestler for where it truly works or is needed. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

On tap tonight, a rare Queen Aminata appearance!

I was looking through her socials and she was out injured and also possibly on grievance until recently. So I think she’ll be an ROH regular and AEW jobber for a while.

• Sad 1

Tonight: Trent Baretta vs Brian Cage vs Bryan Keith vs Hijo Del Vikingo for a shot at the Triple Crown on Collision.

Things I Remember from This Week's Episode of AEW Dynamite:

Adam Cole is one wheelchair away from overdosing on 1997 Bret Hart vibes. Night 1 of Adam Cole as a heel went reasonably well. There's multiple people mad at him that aren't MJF which should at least keep everybody busy since the main feud is a no-go until two different people recover. Presumably Jay White and Friends are only faces when going up against Adam Cole's group.

Orange Cassidy and Dante Martin do things for awhile. Then Private Party returns from wherever they had been for awhile to put a bunch of teams on notice.

Mariah May went for awhile, and then we got Deonna. I guess we're now into year 2 of "Mercedes Mone will debut on AEW TV this week" rumors. Guess she'll debut as a member of the Hart Foundation next week.

Nick Wayne's mom might be the second best micworker in the Christian cult group.

Takeshita just beat the fuck out of Darby for awhile and pinned him. This is the part of the show when I noticed the commentary table was at ringside.

Not sure how the lineup of 4 top contenders for the Eddie Crown make the belt look in the echelon of AEW title belts. Then Trent wins the title shot vs Eddie in a few days.

Hangman Adam Page is angry.

We got a danceoff in the main event. We got Daniel Garcia putting sharpshooter on the table and falling off the table in the process. Only took until 9pm (central) for me to check about a scheduled overrun. Boy are they trying to sell that Charlotte show (which looks baaad on wrestletix). Daniel Garcia gets some kickouts before Swerve wins the match. They pretty clearly seem to be testing the limits of how heelish Swerve can be while still being cheered.

I guess after a break of a month, we're back to a Hangman/Swerve feud.

Well, for having a chunk of the roster in Tokyo this week, the show wasn't too limited. Sort of interesting to only have Joe on the show in a promo filmed on Saturday.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Not sure about going back to Hangman/Swerve already. It will rule but what’s left on the bone after that last match? A “first one to shoot the other dude in cold blood” match? 

yeah, you either got "Swerve goes 3 for 3" or Swerve losing and experiencing a setback on his way to the fireworks factory world title

I'm getting the sense that either the booking is being blindsided by Swerve getting cheered or they're in denial about Swerve getting cheered

- Re: Adam Cole (and what Matt D wrote about him on Segunda) -- there's an old adage that every great heel believes he is right. And Cole nailed that tonight. I don't care for his look, his wrestling, or his catchphrases (or his friends) but that was pretty good mic work. 

- Toni going to Manhattan to raise Stephen Sondheim in a seance was fantastic. 

- Mariah May looks like she stepped out of an NXT skit... let's say, beauty contest? And then she dropkicks the living shit out of you just to show "yeah I was in Stardom". She got the piss slapped out of her too. 

- Christian was kinda weak sauce tonight except for finally breaking and telling the fans to shut up, and "Now and Forever" (TM WWE)

- Darby? He dead. 

- Trent is probably the best guy to face Eddie out of that group. Then again, I had to be reminded that he was a base in Chikara so the Vikingo match might've been pretty good, albeit odd (to me). 

- I was really hoping for the Hangman run-in BEFORE a pinfall but to no avail. Hey, at least the Swerve stomp looked good this time. Insert joke about "a Sharpshooter on a table hurts more".

Not a bad start to the new year.

• Like 6

Swerve is up 2-0 on Hangman and he said that this is far from over. With the Acclaimed and BBG going after Cole's group Hangman needs... something so I'm okay with getting round 3 already. 

Cole really hit that "heel making solid points" promo given Max's history. Don't know if I want a retread of UE now UK holding all the belts but this is a pretty cool faction with some great matches lined up.

DEONNA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Swerve was part of a fucked up submission on the table spot. Saraya gets to say it's her house again.

Darby/Takeshita was... holy smokes, AEW rules.

• Like 6

I guess Jericho not being on the show tonight isn't anything too unusual since the team he's feuding with doesn't regularly appear on Dynamite anyways, but we'll be able to figure out by Saturday if something is up there

That show was fresh and full of energy, felt like a reboot of sorts although I just saw the mention of lots of guys in Japan. Still...

Dante and OC have a great match with Dante showing much more than just high flying while still doing a move that made Tony Schiavone just laugh in amazement.

Mariah May (requiring SO much settling down) and Aminata have a competitive, stiff match and then the “surprise” debut of Deonna Purrazzo. So many possibilities to go with the current talent (and a returning Hayter).

Takeshita just ragdolling Darby all over the Garden State. Good lord, such violence. The knee strike on the tope looked vicious, then just yoinking Darby from the apron to the edge of the ramp, and THEN THE DOUBLE ROLL DOWN THE RAMP INTO A GNARLY ROLLING GERMAN SUPLEX. Bah gawd almighty he broke him in half! Push Takeshita to the fucking moon.

A showcase 4-way with (the probably not actually unsigned) Bryan Keith, Hijo del Vikingo, the perpetually underrated Trent Baretta, and also meh Brian Cage. At least Cage will bump and sell for Vikingo and Keith.

Swerve and Garcia have a great match with some nasty shots, the possibly not a bitched sharpshooter on the announcers table, and Garcia being the master of kicking out at 2.999999. Once I saw Hangman walk in backstage angry I knew it would end with him going after Swerve, but the fact that Swerve was laughing like “yeah fine, let’s go again” ruled.

And basically all the in-ring and backstage segments hit!

My friends, AEW RULES THE MUTHAFUCKING WORLD~!

• Like 14

I really wasn't expecting Deonna to show. As DEAN would say, "BIG MEAN WIMMENS!" With two fresh female faces on the roster there is a hope and a fervent PRAYER* that we get at least a couple more women's matches this year... but probably not. 

* We still miss you, Bill.

• Like 1