DVDVR Message Board

Ring of Honor - 2024

I... didn't pay a lot of attention tonight. I hate when I do that (especially when Nico goes to the trouble of streaming) but I was busy dicking around on Facebook and stuff. The most I watched in full was the main. It was a good match! Not a classic, but there are reasons. For one, Eddie needs a different kind of motivation. Face vs. Face just does not work for him in this circumstance. The crowd seemed tired. The blood was actually unnecessary and/or didn't have the effect it could/should have. But man, I really don't want to shit on it, because they did fine work and it was such a great moment for Mark. If you didn't at least get a little misty you're lame. (I could have just been out of it tonight too. DEAN~!!! kind of made me spend my wrestling load last night and anything is gonna feel lesser. And I mean, it took me almost til the chorus to recognize "Gimme Back My Bullets", gotta be something wrong with me.)

• Like 1

Just came back from the ppv. The main was fantastic, and the right guy absolutely won. Shida/Athena was awesome. The ladies of Stardom looked great. But the ending of Starkz/Animata was gross. And completely pointless and unnecessary. You'd think TK would learn not to do this shit anymore. Animata did impress me though.

• Like 2

I am not sure what will be my best match of WM weekend but I damn well know what is on my top of worst list.  that is the Fight Without Honor match.  a really lame attempt to make a traditional violent match come off like a goofy WWE comedy match

While I love that Billie learned all the tricks of the leader and used it to get the title, it made Queen Aminata look like the dumbest fuck in the world.  At the worse time 

• Like 2

I don't know Eddie and would not speak for him so I'll bury this here on DVDVR where it's safe:

It has to be super special at this point of Eddie's career to not just get the things he deserved and that he's worked for but to be able to give back in this manner. No one else in the world had the honor of doing this this honor for Mark, only him. Because he had worked to get to the position where he was able to do so.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, hammerva said:

While I love that Billie learned all the tricks of the leader and used it to get the title, it made Queen Aminata look like the dumbest fuck in the world.  At the worse time 

12 hours ago, mystman said:

But the ending of Starkz/Animata was gross. And completely pointless and unnecessary. You'd think TK would learn not to do this shit anymore. Animata did impress me though.

I know the kneejerk is to get hot about the exploitation of a legit injury, but this was done so perfectly that I couldn't help but LOVE being duped. I was buying the injury, so it's hard for me to think Aminata looked dumb. This finish was the best heel cheat finish I've seen in ages. Further, the match was so good before that. Aminata has become a legit bad ass. She was so awesome here. No wrestler on this card had stronger looking offense. Early on, Starks looked really soft in comparison, but Billie brought plenty in the latter half. This was easily my match of the show. Further, the injury portion was the best executed angle seen in TKROH. 

12 hours ago, hammerva said:

I am not sure what will be my best match of WM weekend but I damn well know what is on my top of worst list.  that is the Fight Without Honor match.  a really lame attempt to make a traditional violent match come off like a goofy WWE comedy match

Amen. Shameful. The complete opposite of the greatness of the DEAN show. Both Dalton and Johnny oughtta take a long hiatus after this. This should also be a wake-up call to the struggling ROH creative. 

12 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I... didn't pay a lot of attention tonight. I hate when I do that (especially when Nico goes to the trouble of streaming) but I was busy dicking around on Facebook and stuff. The most I watched in full was the main. It was a good match! Not a classic, but there are reasons. For one, Eddie needs a different kind of motivation. Face vs. Face just does not work for him in this circumstance. The crowd seemed tired. The blood was actually unnecessary and/or didn't have the effect it could/should have. But man, I really don't want to shit on it, because they did fine work and it was such a great moment for Mark. If you didn't at least get a little misty you're lame. (I could have just been out of it tonight too. DEAN~!!! kind of made me spend my wrestling load last night and anything is gonna feel lesser. And I mean, it took me almost til the chorus to recognize "Gimme Back My Bullets", gotta be something wrong with me.)

Well said. I was kinda taken out at points too. The crowd for the Main seemed understandably exhausted. But the worst part was Riccaboni overselling the backstory and emotion. He also talked all over the incredible Skynyrd entrance. We also had Caprice's religious rant. It's great having Nigel on this show, but he can only do so much. Somebody needs to reel Ian in on the overselling dramatics. It makes for an unpleasant aural experience. It'd be perfect for a children's wrestling show, but I sense the audience is over 12. That said, Riccaboni's play by play is generally very good. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I know the kneejerk is to get hot about the exploitation of a legit injury, but this was done so perfectly that I couldn't help but LOVE being duped. I was buying the injury, so it's hard for me to think Aminata looked dumb. This finish was the best heel cheat finish I've seen in ages. Further, the match was so good before that. Aminata has become a legit bad ass. She was so awesome here. No wrestler on this card had stronger looking offense. Early on, Starks looked really soft in comparison, but Billie brought plenty in the latter half. This was easily my match of the show. Further, the injury portion was the best executed angle seen in TKROH. 

I have to respectfully disagree. It made no sense to me. Why would Billy fake an injury after hitting her finisher? Why didn't she just pin her? 

Zero Hour was a lot of fun. This had a level of excitement sorely missing from the weekly show. Nese/Woods/Davari v Adam Priest/Titus/Deppen was fast paced and well executed. Great to see Priest on the show after the fantastic DEAN bout with Slim J. I hope they start booking Deppen again. He's a great hand. The perfect enhancement wrestler (if not more). Woods could use more to do. He's greatly improved. The Beast Mortos v Blake Christian was an exciting suprise! Two of my favorites, and gelling beautiful here. Beast Mortos is a fair name change. Glad he's back. Stoked for Mortos v Komander! Fletcher sitdown promo was good. Kyle's good on the mic. I skimmed passed much of Karter/Garrison v Serp/Angelico. Karter and Garrison are not interesting me. Maria interests me with her terrific heel act and red styles. Mariah May v Momo Khogo was a nice bonus. A nice opponent for May and a good showcase of her talents. The Toni cosplay's been fun, but looking forward to Mariah going back to her own pastels. Lee Johnson v Kyle Fletcher was challenging. Fletcher's most ridiculous display of killshots yet. Really, Lee Johnson isn't going down for a top rope whatever? I could not buy what was being sold to me. This seemed intent on killing so much heavy offense for the night ahead and for no reason. Who do they think is buying Johnson as a star after barely selling a bunch of killshot offense? Completely senseless. Mei Seira/Shirkawa/Maika v Nakano/Kamitani/Azm was sorta fun. I may have been expecting a bit too much. Great to see more of Mariah May. Champagne all around for Stardom in AEWROH! I skipped much of the Infantry v Kingdom. I just couldn't muster any interest, but I am pleased they did a straight tag match rather than another pointless scramble. Very, very thankful for NO scrambles on this card. I thoroughly loved Aminata v Billie. My match of the night. Aminata looked like a killer. I even liked the injury angle. Great, great job all around. And then an excellent Top Flight promo! Dante really worked on his mic game during the hiatus. Smart move. Darius sounded great here too. Now I'm kinda hoping they beat both FTR and the Bucks on the way to the titles. But are they ready for such a feat? Jay/Asses v Minoru/Zayne/Archer was a whole lotta fun. Very nice surprise. Austin buckling to Minoru's strike was a highlight of the show. The BCG stooged beautifully here. Some questionable offense from Lance/Zayne (like that chokeslam bullshit), but pretty strong bout nonetheless. Assclaimed looked like the idiots they've become known to be after the match. I'm feeling a bit sad for Bowens and Caster. Johnny v Dalton was awful. Everything about this feud was horrible. ROH should work to improve passed this complete creative failure. Athena v Shida was solid. Sometimes Shida's strikes take me momentarily out of the match. Athena's red paint looked ridiculous. Still, solid enough. Good win for Athena. I may have overhyped Briscoe v Kingston in my head, but it wasn't far off. As mentioned, found myself irritated by Riccaboni's overselling dramatics and talking completely over top of 'Gimme Back My Bullets.' I just realized I can watch this with the commentary off - Will definitely be doing an Encore of this one sans commentary. Definitely good enough for a second look. The post victory celebration was very emotional. I love Mark and Jay Briscoe. I also feel happy for Kingston helping to make this magical moment. Compassionate manly love on full display. Very beautiful. Complaints aside, there was a lot to like on this ROHPPV.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

Just now, mystman said:

I have to respectfully disagree. It made no sense to me. Why would Billy fake an injury after hitting her finisher? Why didn't she just pin her? 

The move was reversed, Aminata got the knees up. The story was Starks learned how to cheat from her mentor Athena. 

Rest of the show was whatever though it was cool to see Suzuki again live.  Enjoyed the joshi match and the guy next to me kindly gave me an education on the six involved which was great.

But no matter what this was a one-match show for me.  It was easy to see Mark was gonna win and thank fuck I was there live to see it.  And sure as shit the tears immediately were flowing.  I'm so fucking happy for the guy that it's almost hard to put into words.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

The move was reversed, Aminata got the knees up. The story was Starks learned how to cheat from her mentor Athena. 

Did she? I'll have to research the match.

• Like 1

Thanks to DreamBroken originally posting this in The Purge topic but relevant to here also:

Dax Harwood:

"Tony and I worked together on getting this song for Mark. It was so important for Tony to have this song on such a special night for Pugh family. Maybe I shouldn't share this, but Tony's exact words to me were... "This is the best $_____ I've ever spent." That's the kind of boss we work for."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I saw a clip of Billie showing the title belt to her mom, who disapproved of the way that she won (not with "honor"). Mom said Athena was a bad influence. Billie left in frustration and went to celebrate with Athena instead.

Edited by Gorman
  • Like 1

Only got until the introductions of the Stardom 6-woman tag, but the opener was just insane, and on the pre-show Blake Christian and The Artist Formerly Known as Black Taurus brought it as well! I also enjoyed the first match of the pre-show, but was also cooking at the same time, so I missed parts of it 

• Like 1

Anybody have a pic of Taurus in his new gear? All I could find was this photo of a man who very well may have the face of Roman Reigns: 

Spoiler

Black Taurus without his gear : r/SquaredCircle

Goddamn that's a big forehead.

Edited by Curt McGirt

Solid opener from Isiah/Andretti.  Surprised to see Christopher Daniels get the win over Cole Karter, but love to see it.  Lots of squashes elsewhere in a short 1 hour episode for the post-PPV week. 

9 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Anybody have a pic of Taurus in his new gear? 

GKcMWhkWMAEqsVU?format=jpg&name=small

THE BEAST MORTOS

(oh shit posting images directly works again?!? I'll take it!)

• Like 3

Lee Johnson/JD Drake was pretty good. Abadon squashing Allysin Kay was surprisingly quick, but Marti Belle looked good against Lady Frost

The Infantry over the Iron Savages, followed by a brawl with the Premiere Athletes leading to the save from Dalton Castle, Mark Briscoe, Bryan Keith, and Big Shotty made for an intriguing overall segment. 

Fun women's trios match. Love the face team of Kiera/Leyla/Adora, though I've been missing the Renegades lately. Coming off Battle of the Belts, I love Aminata going after Athena next as follow up to her loss to Billie. 

Nice little main event of Briscoe vs Griff Garrison. 

• Like 1