DVDVR Message Board

I don’t really care about D’Amore one way or the other, but for a company that finally seemed to be back on the right track and getting some positive buzz again, this seems very strange.

Seems like most there had really bought in to what he was doing, will be interesting to see who else follows him out the door. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

this is such a bummer. TNA has had good word-of-mouth for about the last 2 years, for the first time in YEARS AND YEARS. So much of that seems to largely be due to Scott D'Amore and his efforts to put on great shows. This TNA re-re-branding has gotten a lot of positive hype, and you couple that with the notoriety of Ospreay, Bailey, and Alexander, and you've got a pretty good promotional rep all of a sudden. They seem to be doing very well in attendance numbers as well. 

i'm torn on how i feel about this. Like, for TNA's sake, i really hope they had cause to get rid of D'Amore. Because otherwise this looks monumentally stupid. on the other hand, i really hope D'Amore doesn't have a bunch of allegations about to come out. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

It's being reported that the reason is Damore was constantly butting heads with the CEO because he wanted an increase in the budget to go after bigger stars and continue the growth.

If that's true straight up Fuck TNA. That man literally dragged your corpse out of the grave with his vision. He grew TNA back into being a talked about relevant brand for the first time since Anthem bought it.

The Man just drew the biggest gate and biggest buy rate in a decade. His vision was working you cheap fucks. Now they put in a stooge 2020s Jim Herd. And they will fall all the way back into that grave.

At least lolTNA will be a thing again.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Interested to see how this plays out. There's certainly plenty of room for this company to improve. The presentation/style under Dee'Amore, over the passed few years, has been incredibly stale and badly in need of a refresh. The TNA/Impact financials aren't clear enough to assume they're in the wrong for watching their budget. I'd be curious what some of these ex-Superstars with little to no draw (not all) are making here, and whether it actually benefits the product. Speaking in particular of guys like Rhino, Bully Ray, Heath, Marella, Dango etc. This TNA relaunch has been surprisingly solid, but very much looking forward to a new regime with a new presentation and new set of ideas. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus

You have a leader going from drawing you 250 at your PPV & TV tapings to 1400. From 1,000 PPV buys to 29,000. I don't care if the tv format is stale (and it may be you might be 100% right, I haven't watched recently to have an opinion for or against), regardless you don't send away the guy who was getting you real results like that.

Especially when the guy you're replacing him with has ZERO wrestling knowledge. It's Jim Herd all over again. Will TNA have better ideas than The Ding Dongs going forward? Doubt it.

How many of those 29000 buys got drawn in by constantly hearing about the industry changing signing that TNA had made only to find out it was Nick Nemeth. D'Amore has to know they need a lucrative TV deal to make any money and AXS TV isn't it. I don't know if he thought he could cut a TV rights deal if he owned it outright but he probably dodged a bullet there and now TNA is back to being a zombie wrestling company. Only now probably booked by Tommy Dreamer. Yuck

I have seen a few places mentioning that Scott is "independently wealthy" and essentially does the wrestling out of his love for the business. What is his business background outside of wrestling? More a curiosity question than anything.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, colonial said:

I have seen a few places mentioning that Scott is "independently wealthy" and essentially does the wrestling out of his love for the business. What is his business background outside of wrestling? More a curiosity question than anything.

I believe his family is in construction. 

And if you wonder why the wrestlers want Scott back in TNA among other issues, apparently Tommy Dreamer is going to the new head of creative. 

If true then I was wrong about the 2 steps back.  Actually it is closer to 5 steps back

Edited by hammerva
  • Haha 3

Not my first choice, but I’ll take Dreamer. A creative change is long overdue and very much welcomed. That said, not sure Dreamer’s input wasn’t already a big part of the stale product they’ve been carrying on with for however long now. D’amore’s creative ranged from rotten to passable. The shows have never been watchable, to me, without fast forward options and an ability to over look soooo much stupidity. It’s hard to imagine anybody who’s actually watched the product not being accepting of a booking change. Seems like a lot of the sullen feelings are coming from ppl who couldn’t be bothered to watch this easily forgettable promotion. Bring on the change. Tho, again, not banking on Tom Dreamer to hide the weaknesses and accentuate the positives. We’ll see. I’m more interested now than I was a few weeks ago.