DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 10/10 - 10/17/2023 - Tuesday Night Wars

The Natural

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

So relieved to find out the Timeless Toni sketch was a PiP thing. I sawr the whole thing on the International feed and wished for ratings death. I say that as a big fan of Toni. As a PiP thing, wha'ever.

See it was funny, it went straight to PnP and it felt like "is this a fuckup?" Then it cut for just straight commercials until the show came back on. Later on, the show cut out for PnP and THE MOVIE CAME BACK ON IN PnP and nobody said ANYTHING about it. It was totally unacknowledged. Really funny.

• Like 1

Looking forward to Christian Cage vs. Bryan Danielson for Cage's TNT Championship. Too early to take it of Cage but Danielson could build the belt up taking on new talent and losing it to the right one. We're never going to get Bryan Danielson as AEW World Champion and that makes me very sad. Bryan is so selfless. With hindsight on injuries and the work Orange Cassidy did establishing the AEW International Championship, he should have retained against Jon Moxley at AEW All Out. Cassidy deserved a year long reign with it. I like Hikaru Shida but I was hoping Timeless Toni Storm was going to beat Saraya for the AEW Women's World Championship.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Great show, something was always happening.

A couple of things to point out:

It was really nice of Hook to give Tony some birthday chips
Eddie vs. Murder Grandpa was everything we wanted it to be. I'm surprised it didn't go on longer
Susan gets the distinction of being the first to accidentally call him Edge
Why is Eddie mad at RJ?
Orange looking trepadatious, was a very interesting detail
Wardlow's hair was described as a "muffin top", although I said he looked like a used car salesman

I know we talk about time traveling what ifs, but the thought of going back to 2010 and telling wrestling fans that Christian is going to wrestle Daniel Bryan for a championship, Paige and Edge will have matches later on, and it's not in WWE is just amazing
Jay White is just the worst, he's so boring and I don't get his appeal at all.
Also, they just unlocked PTSD MJF

Tonight's episode a great time to talk about the philosophy of champions vs chasers vs not needing a belt to get over. Tonight I explained to my wife, Orange is the perfect champion, for seeing which new challenger he can overcome (and elevate) next. MJF was a great chaser. Toni is the perfect example of someone that doesn't need a belt to get over, she's easily and obviously done that. The women's division needs new people involved, I'm tired of Saraya and Shida being pushed, they need to be away from the title and TV, for a while. My wife asked who should be on instead, and then they showed the graphic for Skye Blue vs. Emi, and I just pointed.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Just remembered how boring I found Edge vs AJ Styles from WM38. Edge/Finn also stunk a year later. So maybe i'm not gonna be a high voter for TAFKA Edge and I shouldn't be so cruel to a match that wasn't likely to be good. But that was not a good match.

The horrible long Edge vs. Randy Orton Last Man Standing match at WrestleMania XXXVI lasting 36:35. Only one who liked that was The Count from Sesame Street. 

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Loved Kingston v Suzuki in the pre-show. Especially loved that post match with the chops, and Eddie playing with his pals. Excellent (of course) Christian promo to begin. Really enjoyed Danielson v Swerve. They built to something nice there. I also liked the fans booing the Hangman interference. Yeah, let's keep it clean. Dug the Joe promo, but liked it better last week. Jericho v Hobbs seem to prove once again that Powerhouse still has a lot to figure out. What a fucking snooze, and not the fault of the Lionheart. More Jimmy Jacobs comedy skits, yay! A giraffe - is that teen comedy? Missed some of OC v Fenix, but was thoroughly impressed with what I did see. The OC win unfortunately felt like they hotshotted passed a far more meaningful title chase for OC, but I don't wanna complain. Another Wardlow squash to which I hope equals ratings fucking death! It was a mistake watching this show live. Hangman v Jay White was as tremendous as expected. Bryce demanding the Bullet Club sit down made my head hurt. Mindbogglingly stoopid. At one point while Bryce is checking on the wrestlers on the floor idiot Juice kicks at him. And you can bet he got a Stern warning for that one. No reason to kick him out tho. Nope. Another excellent example of how far the officiating has degenerated. Well, I guess it's really always been this bad. Bring back JR. No, I'm kidding. The House of Torture plays in every goddamn segment is slowly turning me against this company. MJF-Bullet Club talk segment was mindnumbingly awful. Another Battle Royal on the horizon! One of the best reasons they could offer to not watch live next week. MJF looked like a complete chump out there tonight. Not at all what I wanted to see. Seems like a good way to kill the golden goose. I didn't see it all, but from what I caught, that Saraya v Shida bout looked pretty stellar. Easily the best we've seen from Saraya. Christy-Ian Cage promo was standard excellence. Edge v Luchasarus worked well down the finish, but until that stretch I felt exhausted watching Lucha plot around with his blah offense - I am still fighting back from a flu, so maybe I'm just grumpy. I realized tonight that I might hate Luchasaurus? Not to say I was ever a big fan, but watching this tonight, I was hoping I might never see him ever again. I really wish they'd saved a tombstone on Neck Strong Edge for a worthwhile angle rather than an early 2 count in this sorta forgettable match. Tho, I guess it suggests his neck is good and he's in it for the long haul. The highlight of this match, prior to the fairly strong closing stretch, was Christian's interactions with his beautiful bad boy son Nicholas. I thought COPE had some nice sporadic offense. That spear from the apron felt a bit dangerous. I didn't care for the forgettable Schmoze at the end. A lot of annoying garbage on this show, but also a lot of really good wrestling. Looking forward to having a second look at Saraya-Shida and OC-Fenix. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

See it was funny, it went straight to PnP and it felt like "is this a fuckup?" Then it cut for just straight commercials until the show came back on. Later on, the show cut out for PnP and THE MOVIE CAME BACK ON IN PnP and nobody said ANYTHING about it. It was totally unacknowledged. Really funny.

Part of me wants to seek out the TBS version to see this proper, but I can't sit thru that barf again. Your description makes me think it worked well as PiP fodder.

A... successful episode? There's this anxiety that pervades when you're more worried about the ongoing propaganda war than what's actually happening in front of you, and I felt a lot of that from both the social media stream + crowds I was witnessing during both shows.

This was a blueprint episode. Everybody involved were frequently-featured, over acts having good matches that advanced storylines. No Ring of Honor titles or international stars introduced sans video package. They played it straightforward if not entirely safe, but their calls to make Hobbes/Jericho a long squash and run the Shida x3 Title Change were more than fine by me. The continuing saga of Cole x Roddy was kinda weak & the fact that we'd had 1h45m of matches with mostly uncertain outcomes followed by the most obvious result on the card go on last (Sydal had a better chance than Luchasaurus) didn't sit right and almost begged me to switch the channel to Bron v Carmelo. But having long Danielson and Jay White matches cure all ills from where I stand.

It also seemed like online engagement greatly favored AEW over NXT, on Reddit and news aggregator comment sections and stuff. I don't expect that to bridge the gap over NXT's home court advantage but it's an interesting takeaway.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 5

I thought this was a pretty good episode of Dynamite. I ended up watching 97% of it only flipping to the other show a couple of times.

The preshow with Eddie vs. Suzuki was fun. Just a good old chopping match. I guess they are dead set on doing Eddie vs. Jay Lethal. To be honest, I'd rather see Jarrett go for the ROH Title. That would be way more fun.

Bryan vs. Swerve was a good match. They were kinda backed into a corner with this one. Bryan had to win because I can't imagine them doing heel vs. heel in Swerve vs. Christian. 

Hobbs looked strong in squashing Jericho. Hobbs being the muscle of the Don Callis family works perfectly and he's just gonna destroy people.

I blinked and missed Wardlow's match. I guess they're trying to reboot him. Poor Matt Sydal.

I thought the ADAM Cole and Roddy skit was funny. But I can't imagine them doing another one. What else is left to do at that house with no cell service or tv?

OC/Fenix was good. Again makes you wonder if Moxley didn't get hurt, would this have been their rematch? Of course I don't think OC should have lost to begin with. He could have survived Moxley. 

Shida vs. Saraya was good as well. I get a little nervous watching Saraya take even basic bumps, but she looked good out there. I was shocked to see her lose because I figured she would at least hold it till the next PPV. But I love Shida so I'm not mad.

Adam Copeland vs. Luchasarus was pretty good for your standard Copeland match. I thought Sting was gonna make the save when he was getting beat up at the end, but it worked having the BCC come out. Bryan vs. Christian is going to be so much fun on Saturday.

Overall a pretty good show in my view.

Also can't wait to see the Toni Storm film on youtube where it will be uncut from commercials. 

EDIT: Saw the Toni Storm video on AEW's twitter. It was all right. Went too long though. Also forgot about Hangman vs. Jay White. I thought it was a good match. The post match seems to be what everyone is talking about. Lots of people on Twitter are upset about the quarters. I didn't think it was nearly as bad as people are making it out to be. Personally I would have preferred he didn't show the roll but rather save it for the eventual match. A roll of dimes or quarters in this case is an old school gimmick so it would have worked as a shock. Now we'll probably see MJF grab the roll and use it himself.

Edited by Phantom Lord
  • Like 3

Edge/Luchasaurus is gonna be a test of "can you put literally anything on the overrun and have the ratings go up during it". If you're Shawn Michaels, you gotta feel like Carmelo/Bron is pretty much the best main event they could have with NXT regulars. On the other hand, TK going with Danielson first was a solid choice.

We're all old enough to have been around in 2001, but head to head wrestling could be the Verzuz of shows. Okay, a bunch of the people reading don't know what Verzuz is. ("Verzuz is an American webcast series created by record producers Timbaland and Swizz Beatz, that airs on Verzuz TV. The series invites two musicians, predominantly R&B and hip hop, such as Mario and Omarion to highlight their discographies in two 10-song rounds during a three-hour session")

Until the ratings come out, both sides are pretending they didn't just have a war tonight.

Having Cassidy go instead of Moxley was probably a net improvement although Cassidy/Fenix seemed to fly-by compared to the norm.

I don't know how you weight a show that had some pretty good matches, I think Danielson/Swerve was my favorite, but also had Edge/Luchasaurus for 15 minutes in the main event and that's a relative weakpoint for the show.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

I was only kind of watching. But did Juice Robinson really insult MJF by reminding him of how quarters were thrown at Max by anti-Semitic bullies just a few days after what the hell is happening in the Middle East? 

Yo…

As I noted in my post... at least Jay White started holding the belt hostage before the news happened last weekend?

For real, there would be so much outrage about the quarters stuff if that happened in the WWE. That is so fucked up. My son and wife are Jewish. These past few days have been really difficult. Absolutely time deaf and not cool at all. 

• Like 4

I don't believe for one second that MJF didn't personally approve of, or quite possibly proposed that part of the angle himself. He has been playing edgelord and using uncomfortable references to his Jewish identity since well before his AEW debut. For every one time it reads as the legitimate life story of a man who encountered emotionally traumatizing prejudice and abuse, twice it reads as MJF using his real experiences to get weird heat and/or the wrong kind of sympathy. For what it's worth I've watched almost every episode of Dynamite with my Jewish partner and it hasn't required a ton of effort to realize her fluctuating opinions of MJF's use of religion/ethnicity/culture. Sometimes it's refreshing, empowering and compelling. Sometimes it's cringe and tasteless. 

I think the intended story was supposed to be - Juice Robinson is a punchin' heel who has occasionally used a roll of quarters to enhance his performance in that regard, and he was supposed to intend nothing more than a threat to MJF's jawbone (yes, I think this is terribly misguided). And MJF, upon witnessing said quarters, was reminded of his storyline-established trauma and finally SAW RED, was hit in his most sensitive point, and now wants to rip Juice's head off like a conquering babyface dragged down to an emotional level he doesn't usually occupy due to the actions of the offending heel. I do not think AEW is stupid enough to intentionally add antisemitism to Juice's current heel shtick.

Problem is Juice is so smarmy and MJF uses this particular device so often that it seems like intentional racial provocation, which happens a lot with MJF storylines and is happening again at yeah-maybe-the-wrong-fuckin-time. But this is a long standing Max problem. I'd make a small bet, more like a hope, that they course correct soon, possibly on Collision pre-tapes but probably right before the actual match.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Looking forward to Christian Cage vs. Bryan Danielson for Cage's TNT Championship. Too early to take it of Cage but Danielson could build the belt up taking on new talent and losing it to the right one. We're never going to get Bryan Danielson as AEW World Champion and that makes me very sad. Bryan is so selfless.

We’re cruising toward NotEdge vs Christian which probably doesn’t need a belt and then eventually a NotE&C reunion. I’m somewhat bullish on the possibility of Danielson winning some gold here. 

• Like 1

Very enjoyable show overall. Packed a lot in that first commercial free section. Thought Bryan/Swerve was excellent, Hobbs looked killer dominating Jericho like that. Loved Hangman/Jay, was reminded of their 2018 singles matches in NJPW which I was a big fan of.  Orange/Fenix was super fast paced and ended quick in under 5 mins, but great to see Orange regain the championship almost exactly 1 year to the beginning of his first reign. Hopefully Fenix can heal up some now. Great to see another big win for Shida getting the title back relatively quick as well, though I wouldn't have minded a longer Saraya reign.

the MJF/Caster stuff is hilariously random on TV but I loved Billy calling him out on it. Also laughed at the idea that Cole's been stuck at Roderick's house for a whole week+. Thought the main event was fine and the post-match chaos was a lot of fun. 

• Like 1

It feels to me like AEW wants to thread a needle and have Juice taunt Max for being bullied for being Jewish without actually saying that he was bullied for being Jewish. That’s what it is. 

Like — this is not an attempt at subtlety here. And who cares if Max signed off on it or not? It’s just so messed up to do anything even remotely close touching on anti-Semitism right now. Even under the best of circumstances MJF leaning into that stuff (real experiences or not) is walking a very dangerous line considering wrestlers don’t have the acting chops to pull of subtlety and wrestling fans live in a bubble. 

Like… how is it even this far into a thread before anyone even pointed this out? Why go anywhere close to anything right now considering there are absolute horror stories and a massive war breaking out and who knows what lunatics are just waiting for any reason to spray up a synagogue (again) here? 

It is so completely gross. Repulsive. TK does not get a pass for something like this because Bryan Danielson and Swerve had a really good match.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

It feels to me like AEW wants to thread a needle and have Juice taunt Max for being bullied for being Jewish without actually saying that he was bullied for being Jewish. That’s what it is. 

Like — this is not an attempt at subtlety here. And who cares if Max signed off on it or not? It’s just so messed up to do anything even remotely close touching on anti-Semitism right now. Even under the best of circumstances MJF leaning into that stuff (real experiences or not) is walking a very dangerous line considering wrestlers don’t have the acting chops to pull of subtlety and wrestling fans live in a bubble. 

Like… how is it even this far into a thread before anyone even pointed this out? Why go anywhere close to anything right now considering there are absolute horror stories and a massive war breaking out and who knows what lunatics are just waiting for any reason to spray up a synagogue (again) here? 

It is so completely gross. Repulsive. TK does not get a pass for something like this because Bryan Danielson and Swerve had a really good match.

Be nice if you acknowledged other religions that are also suffering here rather than just making it about only one.

The entire main event was pretty anti-Christian.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 15