DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2023 PLAYOFFS

RIPPA

As much as I don't like the Phillies and think their fans are nuts, I will give them some credit - they are some confident people. I remember two years ago when the Braves played the Astros in the WS and after each loss the Astros fans were full of doom and gloom, they can't do shit right, we deserve to lose, etc. Not Phillies fans. Go to their fan sites and its all "Braves got lucky" "we own them" "just wait until they are in Philly". I much prefer that than the debbie downer fanbases. I still hope they lose horribly but I like the confidence.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

"Baltimore will be back" feels like a sentiment that various Orioles fans might not have reason to believe so easily

Considering last time they hit the ALDS they cratered right after yeah it can be hard to believe.  But for me it has nothing to do with the team and it's more worry about how John Angelos will fuck the team over.  He might have agreed to staying for another 30 years kicking and screaming but I can already sense who's not staying for next year and am pretty annoyed about it.  There's no need to rebuild when it took so long to just have the gradual progression they've had the past couple seasons.  Keep the star players, try and hold onto the other great ones you can and if possible add somebody to get them over the hump.  It feels pretty simple to me but with Angelos it's not.  But I'm hoping with them still at Camden it'll give extra motivation and pressure to not do that.

10 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

As much as I don't like the Phillies and think their fans are nuts, I will give them some credit - they are some confident people. I remember two years ago when the Braves played the Astros in the WS and after each loss the Astros fans were full of doom and gloom, they can't do shit right, we deserve to lose, etc. Not Phillies fans. Go to their fan sites and its all "Braves got lucky" "we own them" "just wait until they are in Philly". I much prefer that than the debbie downer fanbases. I still hope they lose horribly but I like the confidence.

I felt like the only one around my family and friends that day who was positive from game 2 on.  It was especially annoying hearing them all trash the O's when I'm thinking the fact they got this far when they were a joke not long ago is impressive.  There's a lot of debbie downers around here and I would just wish they had the confidence in the O's like Phillies fans have for their team.  It actually can make a huge difference.

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

that Bryce homer was great if you like massive dongs

One could interpret this sentence as you calling Bryce Harper a massive dong which, evidence would suggest, is not incorrect.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Maybe shit talking Bryce Harper wasn't the way to go

I still remember there was this one time during Harper's rookie season when Cole Hamels decided he need to "teach him some respect" and drilled him in the back. I think it's the same incident where Hamels pretty openly admitted to throwing at him intentionally and got a suspension.  Anyway the point is Harper responded to this intentional HBP by basically stealing his way around the bases. Yes, home included (albeit not a straight steal).

Harper is Not The One when it comes to that sort of thing.  There isn't a chip on his shoulder, there's a whole bag of doritos up there, and it's pretty fun to watch what happens when someone decides to tear that bag open.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tabe said:

One could interpret this sentence as you calling Bryce Harper a massive dong which, evidence would suggest, is not incorrect.

Harper comes the closest, overall, to reminding me of Bonds

57 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

I still remember there was this one time during Harper's rookie season when Cole Hamels decided he need to "teach him some respect" and drilled him in the back. I think it's the same incident where Hamels pretty openly admitted to throwing at him intentionally and got a suspension.  Anyway the point is Harper responded to this intentional HBP by basically stealing his way around the bases. Yes, home included (albeit not a straight steal).

Harper is Not The One when it comes to that sort of thing.  There isn't a chip on his shoulder, there's a whole bag of doritos up there, and it's pretty fun to watch what happens when someone decides to tear that bag open.

As I recall, the reaction to Hamels doing that was pretty much universal condemnation.  Harper hadn't really done anything to "deserve" being "put in his place".

• Like 1

Last night's game in Philadelphia was worth every penny that I paid, and then some. And I'm glad that I wear earplugs, because the noise app on my watch registered 108 dB.

• Like 3

I had a soft spot for a while for Philly and remember rooting for them last postseason.  But there's something about them that just feels untouchable right now.  I know Houston's on a showdown with the Rangers but from what I saw I don't see the Astros making it.

Cheapest ticket I saw for CBP today was just under $400. I am tempted to skip a monthly deposit to my kid’s college fund if they make it to the next round.

Philly is DIFFERENT if you did not know by now. It’s like every game is what Wrigley or Fenway was like when the Cubs and Sox were on the verge of breaking their curses. It’s just been since 2008 here.

No joke — pretty much every school with kids between 4th grade and sophomores in high school has at least one kid named Chase or Cole. My wife is a teacher and there are eight Chase’s in her school. 

It is going to be double that for Bryce’s and Harper’s.

Bryce is the best athlete Philly has had since I started living here. It was probably Iverson until then but Bryce is undeniable. He also goes out of his way to pander his pro-Philly stance and that goes a long way here, on top of playing like a lunatic. 

• Like 2

Also I am bad with technology and have no idea how I can share the picture I have of the Phillies tattoo I had placed on my shoulder two weeks ago. The guy at the tattoo parlor I went to said probably 25 percent of this business comes from Philly sports tattoos.