DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 8/9 - 8/15/2023

Dolfan in NYC

On 8/13/2023 at 2:09 PM, Octopus said:

I really like that the theme or various stories of Collision revolve around relationships with Punk. It can be tough to pull off, but when there is interconnected rivalries and dramas, it can lead to compelling television. Joe and Punk have a long history together where Joe was more dominant, but a recent roll up loss and he wants war while Punk is battling other fronts. Ricky Starks seemed to have turned a new leaf when CMFTR had his back, but arrogance and disrespect won out and now they have beef. Of course the Elite tension is felt, alongside a Young Bucks against FTR match coming up. CM Punk feels he never rightfully lost the title that MJF holds, and that will eventually be a big deal. All roads point to Punk.

Well put.

I used to be a huge Punk fan but I never wanted a promotion booked around him like he's Lawler in Memphis or Dusty at his worst.  Probably why I'm already losing interest in the CM Punk Show.  Also doesn't help that it's the island of misfit toys with a bunch of guys who can be difficult, so Miro is siloed here, Black is over there etc.

Punk is like a band you used to really dig, and they're still doing their thing, but it's not quite the same and it's not for you anymore.  Still some occasional bangers you'll check out via the internet, but you're not buying albums and going to concerts.  That's a reference he'll understand.

I also fully expect this to blow up in Tony's face, again.  Why?  There's like endless combinations of shit that could go wrong here, not the least of which is Phil just taking his ball and going home.  Not rooting for it of course, I want a GD Kenny v. Punk match at some point....

• Like 2

Catching up on things, I'm loving the Mercedes/Diamante team. Great fit together. The powerbomb over the top double team ruled. Glad to see them pick up the win.

Toni Storm is killing it on the promos. Thought the main event was a super fun trios. Loved the Punk/Malakai sitdown/faceoff. 

Hyped for The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Deathmatch!

• Like 2

This thread was a good read.  People really do get fired up over Punk, both ways.  I feel like Mr. Blonde walking in on Mr. White and Mr. Pink with a soda in my hand.

Speaking of movies.  I agree that Collision is the best wrestling show on TV (with the caveat that I don't watch RAW/SD/NXT) but that doesn't mean I have to watch it every week, or ever.  There's lots of movies in the theater at any given time, doesn't mean I have to go see them when I can just stay home and watch Repo Man for the thousandth time.  Top Gun:  Maverick may have been the best, most popular movie in the theaters for a minute but that didn't mean I felt compelled to go see it.  I actually have a "No Tom Cruise" rule, which conflicts with my "Yes Jon Hamm" rule.

I don't have a "No CM Punk" rule and he's far, far from Tom Cruise level of personal dislike, but I'm not really interested in seeing CM Punk in a starring role these days.  Completely personal preference and inarguable from my perspective, but it really is fun to see how much discord and chaos one man can cause.....

• Like 2

He seemingly can create The Chaos without actually doing much of anything. Like a minor hangman jab post show where he flubbed the punch line is enough to set the Reddit crowd on fire. Wrestling fans are so unhinged. Any backstage crumb or bit of drama is blown 10x out of proportion. These dudes are getting so mad that it’s not enough that they don’t enjoy Punk they would prefer that you don’t enjoy him either.

Honestly not liking Punk is one thing, but it seems a bit crazy to both blame Punk for every person getting tossed out of Collision (probably true) and also give him no credit for the, in my mind, amazing on screen product we are getting every week. To act like if Punk left the company tomorrow Collision would still be this great show that is different from everything else doesn’t track at all. It would be Rampage version 2 inside of 3 months.

Part of the reason Collision is working so well is because prior to it Tony had underutilized Starks, White, Samoa Joe, HoB and FTR on Dynamite in a truly head scratching way. How did we go so long without an AEW tag title defense?  Why was there no consistent story provided for the HoB outside of the throwaway bits before Hart turned?

I guess the answer is Tony is an inconsistent booker, but could it also be that some of those guys aren’t super close with the EVPs? I don’t know. If that 2nd part is true though and holds enough weight to effect the on screen product to such a degree then this company needs Punk more than I realized a few months ago! 

Edited by Jrag
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@Jrag that’s why I get so conflicted about Punk. I personally find the Collision show superior. If the BCC guys, Hanger, and Sting were on Collision I wouldn’t have to watch Dynamite anymore. I like Punk’s apparent philosophies on how wrestling should be presented. I just find pretentiousness to be one of the worst qualities a person can have. That’s probably also why I despise the Jacksons and adam Cole. They come off super pretentious to me. Anyway, Collision is the shit. If Philson is responsible for that, then more power to him.

• Like 1

I swear to god, I'm going to make a word filter that changes "Phil Brooks" to "CM Punk"  

Spoiler

And another that changes "CM Punk" to "Phil Brooks"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 11

1 minute ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I swear to god, I'm going to make a word filter that changes "Phil Brooks" to "CM Punk"  

Hide contents

And another that changes "CM Punk" to "Phil Brooks"

Bring back 'stuffing instead of potatoes' and 'manly beyond my wildest expectations' and you've got my full support

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Bring back 'stuffing instead of potatoes' and 'manly beyond my wildest expectations' and you've got my full support

This. I was just a lurker back then and I feel like I've never gotten the full DVDVR experience...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Clearly TK needs another wrestler who is a malcontent but also has a halfway decent head for booking so he can banish them to ROH to make that show watchable.

Sorta off topic: I've brought this up before, but if they just renamed the damn show 'AEW Ring of Honor' I find it a little hard to believe WBD wouldn't be willing to dump it on like, TruTV at 4 PM on a Thursday or something like when TNA was on FS1. They're taping these at Collision now so the production costs can't be that crazy, and I can't imagine it would do any worse than whatever Impractical Jokers rerun or 'Worlds Dumbest Criminal' show is airing in that slot currently.

Yes, I am crying about $10 a month; yes I need a better job; no, I don't have any usable skills outside of one niche aspect of my industry; yes, I've already asked, they have a booker.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

i just typed something about "the product" (or maybe "the AEW product"? i don't remember) a couple weeks back, and i hesitated. old habits die hard.

• Haha 2

Since this has come up regarding ratings of the Saturday show vs football, semp posted this today

With NCAA CFB starting soon, I had to see when Collision's first tough weekend is and it's September 9:  #11 Texas-#4 Alabama (ESPN) & #15 Oregon-Texas Tech (FOX) both on at 7 pm with SMU-#20 Oklahoma starting at 6 pm (ESPN+) & #19 Wisconsin-Washington  State (ABC) at 7:30 pm.

• Thanks 1