DVDVR Message Board

August 2023 Wrestling Discussion

What a perfect example of Dusty-ism, right up there with "he got him a bicycle", "there's a woman in the men's tawlet"/"she had to stop off and get some relief", "Jives", "he laid his ol' tired ass out", etc.

Plus you gotta love Sarge getting listed as just... "leprechaun". 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

yeah there's another Braun match on YouTube but as a general rule, Dusty should have called every Braun The Leprechaun match, even if the matches happened on shows he didn't work on, he should just show up suddenly to commentate for the jacked up on Mountain Dew Leprechaun

Kevin Sullivan having a Leprechaun is certainly an idea they did a few times

He had more than one leprechaun? Where? 

Considering he was so Bawston Irish I can see it being a dumb-ass WCW idea, but him being so acid-fried I can also just see it being a Sullivan idea. 

EDIT: Considering he was the booker it was both, actually

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

A lot of the time, WCW announcers talking about main event angles during C Shows was a bit much but this time, they were right, the NWO never tried to beat down Braun the Leprechaun

I love the crowd chanting "Rock'n'Roll" at Todd Morton.

I am seeing plenty Todd Morton in my 1994 rewatch journey. He's Ricky Morton's cousin, but in 1994 his wrestling gear is basically Lane era Midnight Express Bobby Eaton. He also has the Bobby Eaton semi mullet. It's confusing as shit if they shoot him from behind. This had to be some inside joke/rib.

looking around into which other heels were in WCW in August 1993 (in regards to replacing Pillman), I found this interesting substitution:

WCW @ Atlanta, GA – Omni – August 15, 1993 (1,500 paid)
Bobby Eaton (sub. for Jerry Saggs) & Brian Knobbs defeated Keith & Kent Cole

Bobby Eaton and Brian Knobbs is certainly a team. Not sure if the vignettes of the Nasty's trying to make Bobby Eaton nasty would have been near as much fun as the Bobby Eaton Bluebloods vignettes.

Of course when you consider one of the Nasty's signature spots and Bobby Eaton's reputation for having a weak stomach..

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I am seeing plenty Todd Morton in my 1994 rewatch journey. He's Ricky Morton's cousin, but in 1994 his wrestling gear is basically Lane era Midnight Express Bobby Eaton. He also has the Bobby Eaton semi mullet. It's confusing as shit if they shoot him from behind. This had to be some inside joke/rib.

Didn't Joey Maggs wear the same gear, just as trunks, during that time too? Heck, didn't they team a few times?

4 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

Didn't Joey Maggs wear the same gear, just as trunks, during that time too? Heck, didn't they team a few times?

You would be 100% correct. The last week I watched (8/6/1994 WCW SN) had Joey Maggs/Todd Morton tag against Pretty Wonderful. Why they're dressed like the Midnight Express...I have no idea. Keep in mind, I think Steve Keirn (with the most horrendous dye job ever) and Bobby Eaton are doing the Bad Attitude thing. So you got one half of the Fabs tagging with Bobby Eaton dressed like a heel version of the Fantastics. 

This pre Nitro era WCW tag team division is weird as hell. Sullivan and Cactus Jack are still technically tagging, but Cactus is working in ECW and about to depart WCW after Fall Brawl so the split is coming sooner than later. Harlem Heat are still Kole and Kane, but they're clearly ready to be a premier tag team at this point. It's just so much mish mash in front of them.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Making Steven Seagal shit his pants inside the ring and out!

Off topic but if anyone wants a good laugh at Steven Seagal's expense look up a youtube channel called Space Ice.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

You would be 100% correct. The last week I watched (8/6/1994 WCW SN) had Joey Maggs/Todd Morton tag against Pretty Wonderful. Why they're dressed like the Midnight Express...I have no idea. Keep in mind, I think Steve Keirn (with the most horrendous dye job ever) and Bobby Eaton are doing the Bad Attitude thing. So you got one half of the Fabs tagging with Bobby Eaton dressed like a heel version of the Fantastics. 

So I remember reading in Pro Wrestling Illustrated that Keirn and Eaton had named their team "the Fabulous Express", which made me as a kid go "wait what?", because I remember them being Bad Attitude. It made no sense. Once I learned about the advance taping schedule of Worldwide, I figured it must have been their original name and it was changed later on to Bad Attitude.

Then I got a chance to be around Bobby while I was doing some commentary gigs on indies, and one day I decided to ask if the team's name was actually the Fabulous Express and it got changed to Bad Attitude later. Bobby looks confused for a moment, thinks it over, then shrugs and said "they could've called me whatever they wanted as long as I was working", which didn't really answer my question but it made me like Bobby more than I already did (which was a heck of a lot).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

having seen some 1993 WCW recently, i'm working under the premise that it's more fun the less you know about what they taped 4 months in advance in Orlando

When you do notice something, it's absolutely distracting.

I don't watch Worldwide/Pro/Main Event every week, but when I do you can see some of the downside of taping so far in advance. For example, I did watch a match with Johnny B. Badd vs. Steve Austin from Main Event right around Bash at the Beach 1994. Austin facing Steamboat at the PPV, but something weirdly doesn't make sense about him wearing the Dragon Slayer trunks. The commentators basically start overexplaining why he is wearing these trunks, which kinda confirms it right there. In addition, Austin's facial hair does not line up with what he has on Saturday Night shows. Austin has a full on grizzled goatee on WCW SN, but on the other shows, it's neatly lined up and pencil thin.

It takes you out of the match. They needed a continuity person in WCW badly.

35 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

So I remember reading in Pro Wrestling Illustrated that Keirn and Eaton had named their team "the Fabulous Express", which made me as a kid go "wait what?", because I remember them being Bad Attitude. It made no sense. Once I learned about the advance taping schedule of Worldwide, I figured it must have been their original name and it was changed later on to Bad Attitude.

Then I got a chance to be around Bobby while I was doing some commentary gigs on indies, and one day I decided to ask if the team's name was actually the Fabulous Express and it got changed to Bad Attitude later. Bobby looks confused for a moment, thinks it over, then shrugs and said "they could've called me whatever they wanted as long as I was working", which didn't really answer my question but it made me like Bobby more than I already did (which was a heck of a lot).

On that note, they made an elaborate and nonsensical backstory for why Terra Ryzing (who spent a fair amount of time in his matches talking trash sounding American) is now Jean Paul Levesque and now French. Yes, the name is absolutely silly but there was nothing wrong with the presentation of Terra Ryzing outside the name and the lackluster Indian deathlock finisher. It comes off as very minor league even though WWF had a long history of just outright not acknowledging people's past gimmicks. Considering Levesque is not long for the company, it makes it even worse.

34 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

What was the deal with that team anyway? Wasn't Keirn only there for a few weeks?

He was there for minute and longer than I expected. IIRC Keirn shows up one week (I wanna say spring 1994), and they spent a fair amount of time building up him finding a tag team partner. Then, he picks Bobby Eaton. They have like one showcase match on Saturday Night and then they fall into the wasteland of the syndicated shows. They pop up every now and then and actually got a win recently where I am on the rewatch against Stars and Stripes. However, before that, they lost some matches in both single and tag matches. So after that initial buildup, they just become another team.

What's evident though is you cannot stick two glue guys together and call it tag team. First of all, the dye job just makes Keirn look so old. Second, Bobby Eaton has just been a guy since the Dangerous Alliance blew up. For the better part of two years, he's been an enhancement talent. As a result, NOBODY gives a single fuck that Keirn chose Bobby Eaton. Heenan tries his very best to save it during the "massive" reveal, but it's a fart in a church. In ring, it doesn't work because Eaton and Keirn have a lot of crossover of what they did for their past successful tag teams. It's like having three former star point guards in your starting lineup. Nothing flows well. They have zero chemistry unlike their other teams. It also feels like it's several years too late for this. Had they did this in 1990/1991, it MAYBE could have worked. In 1994, when tag team wrestling has been downgraded as not important on the other channel and the best tag matches in WCW that year were the absolute displays of brutality between the Nasty Boys and some combo of Cactus Jack/Maxx Payne/Kevin Sullivan, anything that Bad Attitude would be able to do is going to come off as antiquated. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

What a perfect example of Dusty-ism, right up there with "he got him a bicycle", "there's a woman in the men's tawlet"/"she had to stop off and get some relief", "Jives", "he laid his ol' tired ass out", etc.

Plus you gotta love Sarge getting listed as just... "leprechaun". 

"I tell you what, Tony Schiavone. When High Voltage goes to the pay-winduh tonight they're gonna have to show TWO FORMS of identification!"

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Casey said:

Boy the internet moved on pretty quickly from the Punk/Hangman drama last night and into the Asuka versus the entire Joshi scene Part 2 that’s currently on-going.

Trying to keep up. Something about pineapple pizza and the media?

18 minutes ago, Casey said:

Boy the internet moved on pretty quickly from the Punk/Hangman drama last night and into the Asuka versus the entire Joshi scene Part 2 that’s currently on-going.

Its no secret that Asuka is one of my favorite wrestlers but she's such a trip. Yes she's always been "anti-Joshi wrestling" but its just funny her saying that since she actively participated in all aspects of Joshi (from serious hard hitting matches, comedy matches, perv matches, etc) and booked her own Joshi shows that mostly had pretty normal Joshi matches on it. Yes, her Manifesto was about more than that but in her tweets she isn't expanding, just keeping it basic and mysterious. I still can't entirely tell with her if she's just really into the anti-Joshi gimmick and doesn't mean it (although her issues with Nanae are legit), or what is going on in her head so long after those issues should have been put to rest either way. Its amusing regardless.

• Like 1