DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV (Week of July 24, 2023)

RIPPA

That was... not a good show. The best match was Darby/Strickland and when you got me saying a Strickland match is the best one on the show, well... 

There was a bit of unintentional humor though which always counts. Gravity's dumbass space-stomp or whatever (sorry Shartnado, we know you aren't Gravity but rather the Finnish Pac. The abs don't lie!). Not only the women's division sign but the length it was stared at by the camera. Britt using Dude Love's Sweet Shin Music and Taya performing the most business-exposing "ground and pound" ever, which turned the crowd vocally against the match. The goober in the front row that was so loud he blew out the announcing even MORE than usual. Jerry Lynn coming out to defend ECW and WRESTLE?! And was Trent suffering from a bout of rosacea on his face or something? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SirFozzie said:

That spot where Darby did a roll over the ring steps, and Swerve ran up it and hit Darby with a kick... *chefs kiss* Perfect spot of that style.

And darby, please.. I want to still be wrestling in 2025.. aw forget it, that superplex/brainbuster on the apron? OW.

Those were definitely the spots of the night. I made the joke on the Discord that Austin, Nash, and Bret should be strapped down and forced to watch that match just for the fun of it. I could see Nash saying "The kid does know it's a work, right?"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There was another really cool spot, that being the parkour thingamabob where AR Fox ran up the post and did a backflip. For a glorified acrobatics display of a match that was a neat bit. 

I see absolutely no reason to add fucking Penta to Trent/Mox. They got their title shot or whatever, let them run with that. We are of course getting Best Friends vs. BCC in a six-man tag somepoint soon and there's no need for a third wheel... again. 

• Like 3

I don’t think that 3 way tag match was for a tag title shot, right? Unless AEW is just going nuts with lining up people for tag title shots - this tournament that just happened, and now the thing on Rampage with all the teams.

33 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Orange vs Moxley will have the stip that the match can't end until Jim Cornette strokes out

That'll make Moxley the modern day Freddie Blassie when old ladies in Japan were having heart attacks because of the visual of Blassie drinking Rikidozans blood like a vampire 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

the Dynamite read made it sound like it would be Jack Perry and Jerry Lynn face to face... which somehow differs from what they did tonight

It didn’t sound like it would be a face to face - it was explicitly advertised as such. Verbatim on the graphic.

11 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

There was another really cool spot, that being the parkour thingamabob where AR Fox ran up the post and did a backflip. For a glorified acrobatics display of a match that was a neat bit. 

I see absolutely no reason to add fucking Penta to Trent/Mox. They got their title shot or whatever, let them run with that. We are of course getting Best Friends vs. BCC in a six-man tag somepoint soon and there's no need for a third wheel... again. 

First time I saw AR Fox do that parkour run up the ring post flip back flip spot I jumped off the couch yelling “holy shit”. He also did some new (to me) innovative spot off the top rope in the corner late in the match.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Eivion said:

So should I just watch Darby/Swerve and OC/Fox?

I enjoyed them both quite a bit, definitely two parts to the same story and it's nice to watch two bang-bang high spot matches like that come together to serve a cohesive narrative purpose.

• Like 5

That was as weak as I expected coming into the show.  Darby/Swerve was good, everything else was just there, and Britt was exceptionally bad.

They need to just give up on Britt, yeah I know she's never going WWE but she's regressing and pretty soon the fans are going to turn on her hard. 

• Like 2

I had really been looking forward to Pac/Gravity but it was just kinda there. Darby/Swerve was good though. The upcoming feud between Swerve/Fox and Darby/Wayne is going to turn someone's spine into dust.

The highlights of the night was Excalibur making a Steamed Hams reference after Darby's match and Daddy Magic exclaiming "figureitout" during an otherwise lame Jericho segment.

• Like 1

Trent’s pin not being counted because he wasn’t the ‘legal man’ felt like a slap in the face after sitting thru that logic hole of a main event. Far too many three and four ways lately. This wasn’t entirely a bad Dynamite tho. The OC-AR and Swerve-Darby matches were terrific fun. So too one of MJF’s best promos. AR Fox’s post OC match snap was beautifully executed and a big highlight. I love AR joining with Swerve and Nana. Also, Mox clobbering OC was exciting. Some of the bad this week was kinda, sorta, so bad it was good - see the completely rotten Jericho townhall skit, Dax pretending he didn’t hear MJFs promo yet alluding to it, and that expectedly poor Baker-Taya bout. Also, what the fuck was that Hook promo?  Best to keep he mic out of Mr JLs hands. Is he good for a match, or does a face to face indicate a quick beating? Jack’s promo was fun. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Someone in the crowd had a 'steamed hams' sign at the start of the show too. What is that even referring to? 

Damn, Britt vs Taya failed to live up to my very low expectations. I think that might have been the worst match in Dynamite history. Slow and awkward. I legit hope they are both OK because they did NOT look OK in there. Remainded me of Ibushi in B and G. Swerve vs Darby and Anger/Regret Fox vs Orange were both really fun, with innovative spots and interrelated storytelling. Ishii vs Kingston was GREAT. Everything I wanted it to be. Two guys I love to watch just going 100%. Reminded me in many ways of Bryan vs MiSu, and I have no higher praise to give. Cobb vs Zack and (surprisingly, to me) Finlay vs Tonga were also really good. Still enjoying the hell out of Fight Forever. Possibly sinking too much time into it. Made Shinsuke, Okada, and Cobb CAWS. None of them are note perfect, but they are all fun to play with. Nice random-ass Rampage coming up in two days. I am stoked for Shida vs Nyla! Enjoyed Hook's "training" video. Chuck should team with Allin. The Kentucky Darby.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2