DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 7/19 - 7/24/2023

Dolfan in NYC

49 minutes ago, Matt D said:

For Dynamite:

• Cassidy vs AR Fox (We knew this)
  • Pac vs Gravity

I had to turn to Google to confirm that "Gravity" was the name of a wrestler and they weren't just throwing Pac off a high place.

• Haha 6

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

This and in such a short space of time. Call an audible and keep this going.

One way to buy some time with an audible is to have Roddy be the one to cost them the match so that neither one turns on the other for the finish. From there they can have MJF accusing Cole of having Roddy cost them the match (referencing all of the segments that MJF “was never going to watch”) and either have Cole be the one to turn, admitting it was a setup, or have MJF attack Cole believing it was a setup. 

That’s after a couple of weeks where they patch things up and get along, of course, to keep giving fans these segments and making them think that everything is fine. 

Edited by RefMattyD570
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Go2Sleep said:

They have to do an interview segment where Renee asks Gravity how he feels about making his AEW debut against Pac, and he says "Who?"

Then, Renee makes the obvious Jim Neidhart joke.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

The Royal Rampage was fun, but there was a real lack of star power this year. That, combined with their explicitly saying it was for a PPV title match and not for some random weekly show, meant that Darby was pretty much the only plausible winner. (I suppose Swerve could have won if we assume some babyface is taking the title from Luchasaurus before September.)

• Like 1

Yeah that was Caster shit was rough. Boston wouldn't even go for it! The irony is right after this playing on TNT is the Rich and Shameless about Hogan's sex tape, haha. 

This was more fun than Smackdown's entire two hours IMO. The battle royale reminded me of A LOT of guys that I forgot worked for them, like even Gates of Agony. And the main with Stat and Shafir felt brief but was just fine, crowd even responded to some of the stiffness beyond the ladies just grunted and hollering. You wonder the full layout of these shows and what goes where sometimes, this was one. Like, do they put different matches different places, even between the two shows on the shooting? 

• Like 1

Stat vs Shafir was stiff and nasty and awesome, and it was the main event! Great stuff! Stat's power offence looked amazing, too.

I enjoyed everything about the RANBO except for the perhaps unavoidable "lots of eliminations during pitcher in pick sure" situation. Nick Wayne and Gates of Agony both got over without going over, which I always love to see. Darby and Swerve being first in, last out worked great. 

I had to look up who the TNT champion is. (It's Bad Dinosaur). The announcers kept saying the winner (Darby) would fight for the title at the PPV, but I didn't catch them naming Luchasaurus, so now I wonder if the title will change hands before then, or maybe Swerve or someone will get added to the match. According to Wikipedia, Darby is both the youngest and the least heavy person to ever hold the TNT title. 

I was surprised to hear QT worked a death match in Tijuana! (Edit: thanks to Curt for posting the video)!

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Boy howdy did I wish he was! We need some of those dudes running around. Anti-Gravity would be a better name for a flyer.

Gordi, if you didn't catch it, they had Darby and Swerve working each other next week. I dunno when the plan is for Dinoman to fight Darby so that is the question mark I have. Maybe it's a "last two dudes from the match fight to see who fights the champ" deal?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

That he never lost the belt, he had to relinquish it due to injury. It's not much of a claim, but plenty of wrestlers have gotten title shots with less.

Edit: It's also good to see the Cole/MJF merch flying off the tables, because wasn't that one of the main drivers in memory-holing Billy Gunn's short-lived family reunion before sticking him with the Acclaimed for good?

But he lost the unification match to MOX…

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, zendragon said:

But he lost the unification match to MOX…

Yeah, and then beat Mox at the ppv for the undisputed belt. The least memorable thing he did at that show, sure, but it did happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rampage started strong and feel off a bit. Loved daddy magic having to face GOA, reminded me of one of my favorite rumble spots ; Scotty 2 Hotty coming to the ring to face The Brothers of Destruction with a look of absolute terror on his face. 

Shame The Acclaimed has decended in to a mid card shtick act

I keep expecting Marina to be sent on a secret mission to find Trench and Parker every match she has one or two spots where she seems completely lost 

So gravity is a real wrestler and not a Feugo Dos situation

17 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Does Pac's Intro still mention being "the man gravity forgot" or similar? 

I don't think so. He's "The Bastard" now.

Although they could tie both nicknames together by saying Gravity is the deadbeat dad he never knew.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Here's the QT/Penta Jr. ambulance match

Had no idea Triplemania even happened. 

Wow, can’t wait to not watch two of the wrestlers I can’t stand wrestle each other.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

That was the fillerest of filler Rampages for me.

Royal Rampage was fine even if it was the battle of the JTTS and lower midcard plus Darby. I watched but just never really cared until the end, and TBH I would’ve been more interested in Darby v Nick Wayne.

I forgot that a side effect of the terrible Harley Cameron angle would be Caster dropping misogynistic bars. Match was interesting in the sense that they had a brief showcase for Bowens, but good lord I really don’t want to see any member of QTV on my TV ever again. Why are they intentionally cooling one of their hottest acts?

I’m gonna be honest, I am probably too drunk to properly comment on the Stat-Shafir match. My thoughts are that is was both Shafir’s best match while also still being pretty bad. New music was also just fucking awful. Stat is not being given an opportunity to showcase her talents so far.

I think a lot of hardcore fans were actually watching ROH PPV tonight and I kind of wish I had, but trying to save money for the big move.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

I’m gonna be honest, I am probably too drunk to properly comment on the Stat-Shafir match. My thoughts are that is was both Shafir’s best match while also still being pretty bad. New music was also just fucking awful. Stat is not being given an opportunity to showcase her talents so far.

Since she’s using the standing figure four give her Disco’s old gimmick of using written instructions 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JLowe said:

I think a lot of hardcore fans were actually watching ROH PPV tonight and I kind of wish I had, but trying to save money for the big move.

My Hope is Stat is going to Face Shida at Wembley or All Out. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, tbarrie said:

I had to turn to Google to confirm that "Gravity" was the name of a wrestler and they weren't just throwing Pac off a high place.

I thought it was a joke since PAC's old moniker was "the man that gravity forgot."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hail Sabin said:

My Hope is Stat is going to Face Shida at Wembley or All Out. 

A win over Shida would be huge for Stat and I think that's the match-up best for All Out.

• Like 3