DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2023 - 2ND HALF

RIPPA

19 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Tampa Bay is trading for Aaron Civale.   Cleveland receives 1B Kyle Manzardo in return

Strange to see Cleveland trade its only healthy veteran pitcher, despite being a .500 team, because they are just a smidgen behind Minnesota. Maybe they figure: we can make this trade for a prospect and still win this lousy division!

To be fair - Manzardo - by all reports - is really really good

So it might considered more viable to set themselves up for longer term success

... and the division is really shitty they can still be in it

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Mets sure did quickly go from "SPEND LOTS OF MONEY" to "AH WE SUCK, SELL EVERYONE."  You hate to see it.

Yeah, we should be like the teams whose owners suck up revenue sharing money, refuse to spend any of it and stuff it right in their pockets. That's to be admired, not trying to win.

Hey, it worked for Wayne Huzeinga and Jeff Loria!  

Back to the news:

SF picks up AJ Pollock and Mark Mathias from Seattle.

CHC gets Jeimer Candelario from the Nats

Arizona took Jace Peterson off Oakland's hands

Atlanta traded for Brad Hand

San Diego traded for Rich Hill & Ji Man Choi

Toronto gets Paul DeJong from the Cards. 

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

Yeah, we should be like the teams whose owners suck up revenue sharing money, refuse to spend any of it and stuff it right in their pockets. That's to be admired, not trying to win.

That's not my team either so I find no offense to that, but the idea probably shouldn't be 'spends lots of money and if it doesn't work within three months, give up and sell everyone'. Probably some happy middle ground somewhere.

• Like 2

Jeebus...

The Mets are paying Houston (!) around $54m if Verlander's option (for $35m) vests.  

So between Verlander and Scherzer, the Mets will pay about $90m to watch them pitch for someone else. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Pete said:

The Mets are selling at the trade deadline and the Cubs are buying. THE CUBS. Welcome to Bizarro World.

Dude, I know. This is wild. It almost reminds me of all of the recent years before the last year or so where the Padres just refused to trade anyone thinking they had a shot at the division or the wild card and they would fall flat. At the very least, the NL Central is a dumpster fire and there's no team like the Dodgers that the Padres had to contend with.

I try to push away or push down any sort of cynicism, but the cynical side of me that creeps out just thinks this is the Ricketts and Jed saying, "well, we tried! You wanted us to try and we did! Now enjoy a few more losing seasons before we look remotely like contenders again."

Max Scherzer did not think he would be traded. He was not, in his words, “itching to jump ship.” But he said he agreed to waive his no-trade clause when Mets owner Steve Cohen and general manager Billy Eppler informed him the team was taking a step back next season and building more for the future.

“I talked to Billy,” Scherzer told The Athletic. “I was like, ‘OK, are we reloading for 2024?’ He goes, ‘No, we’re not. Basically our vision now is for 2025-2026, ‘25 at the earliest, more like ‘26. We’re going to be making trades around that.’

Meanwhile,  the Yankees trade for 2 shitty pitchers and have punted on the season.  If Cashman and Boone survive the off-season,  it might be time to call the Empire fallen.

Alright, I think the Marlins are all in.

They've received Josh Bell from Cleveland for Jean Segura.  (Don't worry Guards fans, they're going to release Segura immediately)

• Like 1

Around here, the Royals made 4 trades between their last pre-deadline game and the deadline

1. The Nicky Lopez trade to Atlanta that I already mentioned
  2. Trading unreliable reliever Jose Cuas to the Cubs for an outfielder who is on the 40 man roster
  3. Trading Ryan Yarbrough to the Dodgers for a AAA Utility guy and a Complex League guy
  4. Trading Scott Barlow to the Padres for a California League pitcher and a Dominican League player

Trading Yarbrough and Barlow weren't surprises but the Royals don't habitually leak and those trades weren't announced until 15-20 minutes post-deadline.

Barlow had a rough July preceding the deadline and has had his velo decline a bit from 2021 to 2023. Yarbrough is a perfectly cromulent pitcher.

After the deadline, the Royals have a few players in their 30s on the roster. Gas can reliever Taylor Clarke, Legend feeling his age Zack Greinke, alleged innings eater Jordan Lyles, garbage time reliever Nick Wittgren, World Series hero with 10/5 rights Salvador Perez, backup infielder Matt Duffy, 30 year old rookie  with elite speed Dairon Blanco, and platoon bat Matt Beaty. So that's 8 guys and really only 3 of them are getting significant playing time to close out the year

The Royals are also starting Salvador Perez at first base tonight because their regular 1B is injured, the Mets are starting a LHP and Matt Beaty doesn't hit LHPs.

And on the opposite end of the spectrum, Framber Valdez just became the first lefty in Houston's franchise history to throw a no-hitter.  

He also accomplished his no-hitter on the fewest pitches ever. 

• Like 1