DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 6/21 - 6/26/2023

Dolfan in NYC

17 minutes ago, just drew said:

My biggest takeaway from this Collision is not new information. I’ve been saying that Ricky Starks could be HIM if positioned that way. He’s the most charismatic guy in the company, if not the business as a whole. It remains an absolute enigma to me that that greasy haired dork (bay bay) is being positioned as their next top babyface when Stroke Daddy Starks is right there, and Starks has never been the centerpiece of a show that got beaten so bad it had to change nights. I also have gained a new appreciation for Juice Robinson the last few weeks. Add him to the “people more interesting/entertaining than adam Cole” list. It’s a long list, yet every new entry is newsworthy.

Juice Robinson has that zany early AEW Ortiz energy and I’m all for it!!!

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Juice Robinson has that zany early AEW Ortiz energy and I’m all for it!!!

YES! I wouldn’t have made that connection but you’re exactly right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jrag said:

The Gunns are making a leap right now. Perfect fit in their current spot glad they joined BCG. Great entrance. Showing some ability to talk and getting very smooth in the ring. Austin has been smooth for a while now and Colton is catching up. Insanely impressive considering how short their careers are to this point. 

Is there any reason they stopped calling them the Gunn Club? I feel like they were the Gunn Club, Gunn Show and now seem to be just the Gunns. I think the Gunns is the worst of those three, there are so many Gun-related names they could go with (Gunn Club, Gunn Show, Gunn Fire, Gunn Violence, Gunn Control (the latter would really work for heels in Southern states!) that it feels like they settled on the least interesting one.

I'm not crazy about their finisher (It just looks like FTR's) which they don't always hit that cleanly, but I really dig everything else about them. I think they should have kept the tag titles as FTR really doesn't need them (FTR are like the Bucks or Usos in that they're basically above the tag division, and teams can get over just wrestling them without the title being involved). I know everyone loves Billy Gunn being with the Acclaimed, but I still feel like he should be back with his boys.

Always a joy to see Willow and while Nyla has kinda dissolved into just a good hand, she's been making the most of her TV time with some solid matches. It's always nice to see 2 people who have wrestled numerous times switch things up. Willow's Dr Bomb can sometimes be a nail biter regardless of whether her opponents are big or small. Awesome visual hitting it on Nyla and the crowd popped big. 

I still don't get the connection between Nyla and Marina and they've been paired together for a while now. Even with the abysmal booking of the women of AEW I don't understand why a Tag title has not been introduced yet. You've got former champs like Nyla and Shida kinda floating around aimlessly and they're some of the better wrestlers in the division.

• Like 1

I'm housesitting for a friend who has cable so I was actually able to watch Collision last night. I liked the promos to open up the show and the general vibe being different than Dynamite. I didn't care for the new commentary team. Kevin Kelly clearly didn't do any prep, maybe after a while he'll settle into it. I like they also had a different ring announcer (can't remember her name,) another great way to differentiate from Dynamite. None of the matches stood out much for me, favorite of the night was Andrade/Brody. Really glad Brody didn't eat a pin/submission. He's by far the most interesting member of HoB and should be a top guy.

Overall it was a fun show and the two hours flew by. 

• Like 1

On 6/25/2023 at 6:01 PM, Leonidas said:

JHC that Andrade / Brody match was BRUTALLY stiff. Thought Andrade broke Brody's nose or concussed him on that duckduck forearm spot. Moonsault was crazy too.

From what I heard from someone in the know, Brody did suffer a concussion.

• Sad 1