DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 6/16/2023

The Natural

Takeashit and Bandaido are two guys that I was aware of and liked watching before they came to AEW but since arriving they have become two guys I LOVE watching. Two guys I am always STOKED to watch. So I am PARTICULARLY STOKED to watch them fight each other. 

Jeff Jarrett is a dude I irrationally despise and I dearly wish he'd never shown up in AEW and I have enjoyed NOTHING that he has done in AEW so far and I am BAFFLED that so many people seem to unironically find him entertaining. HOWEVER I am NOT going to pretend here: Lethal and Jarrett and Karen Angle vs Papa Briscoe and Mark Bricoe and Referee Aubrey Edwards is so utterly bonkers that even I, an unrepentant incorrigible hater, am very interested to see what happens here. I kind of hope Aubrey either pins Jarrett or makes Jarrett tap out clean and if that happens... I'll still probably go straight back to hating him. Irrational is as irrational does. Just because I put Drew on ignore does not mean that I have no Drew in my soul.

I don't give a fuck about Taya. Don't hate her in any way, just don't care. I sincerely wish AEW had hired Nicole Matthews instead. Nicole Matthews is fucking great. 

CHAOS vs United Empire in an AEW ring on an AEW show! Oh. Hell. Yeah. Presumably the bessfrenz version of CHAOS, but still. (But still? But: AWESOME)

giphy.gif

I mark out every time Rocky shows up in AEW and if Jeff Cobb shows up on the other side I'll f'n lose it.

(I'm going to lose it).

(About time I lost it, particularly considering I am in my late 50s and the father of two wonderful daughters). 

Bout a million times more stoked for this nutzoid hour of wrestling than for the day after tomorrow's debut of The CM Punk Show. Personally. I'm more curious for that one than I am stoked. 

I am kind of hoping Punk comes out all humble and apologises for everything. I won't know WHAT to do if that happens. 

Jeff Cobb yeeting Rocky is going to be SO AWESOME! Young Konosuke gonna spend a full minute upside-down. Pro wrestling sure can be great sometimes. Sometimes meaning several times a week every single week, lately.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 5

39 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

Takeashit and Bandaido are two guys that I was aware of and liked watching before they came to AEW but since arriving they have become two guys I LOVE watching. Two guys I am always STOKED to watch. So I am PARTICULARLY STOKED to watch them fight each other. 

Jeff Jarrett is a dude I irrationally despise and I dearly wish he'd never shown up in AEW and I have enjoyed NOTHING that he has done in AEW so far and I am BAFFLED that so many people seem to unironically find him entertaining. HOWEVER I am NOT going to pretend here: Lethal and Jarrett and Karen Angle vs Papa Briscoe and Mark Bricoe and Referee Aubrey Edwards is so utterly bonkers that even I, an unrepentant incorrigible hater, am very interested to see what happens here. I kind of hope Aubrey either pins Jarrett or makes Jarrett tap out clean and if that happens... I'll still probably go straight back to hating him. Irrational is as irrational does. Just because I put Drew on ignore does not mean that I have no Drew in my soul.

I don't give a fuck about Taya. Don't hate her in any way, just don't care. I sincerely wish AEW had hired Nicole Matthews instead. Nicole Matthews is fucking great. 

CHAOS vs United Empire in an AEW ring on an AEW show! Oh. Hell. Yeah. Presumably the bessfrenz version of CHAOS, but still. (But still? But: AWESOME)

giphy.gif

I mark out every time Rocky shows up in AEW and if Jeff Cobb shows up on the other side I'll f'n lose it.

(I'm going to lose it).

(About time I lost it, particularly considering I am in my late 50s and the father of two wonderful daughters). 

Bout a million times more stoked for this nutzoid hour of wrestling than for the day after tomorrow's debut of The CM Punk Show. Personally. I'm more curious for that one than I am stoked. 

I am kind of hoping Punk comes out all humble and apologises for everything. I won't know WHAT to do if that happens. 

Jeff Cobb yeeting Rocky is going to be SO AWESOME! Young Konosuke gonna spend a full minute upside-down. Pro wrestling sure can be great sometimes. Sometimes meaning several times a week every single week, lately.

Dang I finally found one thing we don’t agree on (Jeff Jarrett). But I’m not going to lie. I’m hoping for the same outcome as you to the 6 person tag. Aubrey should definitely get the win for her team. 

Oh and Jeff Cobb love is always good. I miss seeing him weekly (or even bi-weekly) like during his Lucha Underground run. He’s easily in my top 10 favorite active wrestlers. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, zendragon said:

Jarrett is when he has his own little TNA/Memphis segment and not the whole focal point of a show promotion. Similarly to how some of us feel about the elite 

Oh yeah. That’s what I meant. I like Jarrett, but only when he’s not the main focus of a company/show. His reign of terror in TNA was awful, and I’ll be the first to say that. Having met him at a TNA house show I’ll say he’s one of the nicest wrestling performers I’ve ever met though (I had on a Lakers hoodie, and he spent about five minutes discussing basketball with me. Which was really cool, and unexpected).

• Like 3

So we complain sometimes about people cycling in and out and disappearing for prolonged stretches, but it's been nice that Bandido has been firmly in the mix since the International title shot. Wish he was more on the come up rather than losing most of these bouts, but pretty excited to see him get time against a guy slotted in for Great Match purposes. Looking forward to more with extra hours to fill. 

Between a strong card, Jarrett/Briscoe/Aubrey strangeness, and a desire to watch something fun to tide me over till the Punk show, I probably catch this earlier than I do most weekends. 

• Like 5

Cobb yeeting dudes is right up there with my very favourite things in all of pro wrestling. Also: Keith Lee and Lance Archer yeeting dudes. Dudes getting yeeted in general, I suppose. But by Cobb in particular.

I would have preferred watching Nicole Matthews v Trish Adora personally. Perhaps all of us might have preferred Nicole cutting a promo on Stat. Although some of us seem to have been distracted during that segment.

Jericho was also a precocious 8-year-old! What a freaky coincidence that was.

I will admit it: Jarrett and Lethal stooging for Papa was good stuff.

This is NOT a complaint: The bulk of the main event was surprisingly straightforward and non-flashy.

Agree with zendragon: 2 for 2 so far this week.

Can they make it 3 for 3 tomorrow?

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 3

Missed the first half of the opener, but liked what I saw. Main was great, they just need to add really obnoxious entrance music to complete Takeshita's presentation.

Disappointed that Taya-Adora was an extended squash. Trish Adora is someone who should be in the title picture, not used as enhancement.

Trios got real awkward once Aubrey and Karen got in there, but the crowd seemed to dig it. Undefeated in their trios career!

Edited by elizium
  • Like 3

My thoughts on Rampage

Surprised they gave CHAOS as much as they did in the opening match. Did anyone catch Bryce telling the teams to bring it home quickly? Very good match

Well, Aubrey's not going to ever be women's champion but, AEW doesn't have to be all in-ring work all the time. We can occasionally have a match like this as a sports entertainment side dish that's enjoyable. Junk food, so to speak. It's when it becomes the norm it gets fattening (my first way of phrasing was a little more crude. "We can have a little sports entertainment bullshit, as a treat.")

I'm not as much in love with the Bandido-Takashita match as others are. Something about their styles didn't really.. well.. click at times, and it showed in that they had a couple awkward moments when they figured out what to do next. Not completely unexpected when you have a primarily Japanese speaking wrestler taking on a primarily Spanish speaking wrestler, with a primarily english speaking referee trying to guide it along.

The Valkyria match, if they were going so short, should have been Taya hitting Adora with a backfist or something similar and breaking things down with a curbstomp or beatdown, rather then squashing the match. Do like they're setting up a next logical feud for the title, especially if Jade Cargill is going to be away for a bit. (honestly, while she's off-screen, I would ask the roster's more experienced women to have a Performance Center style match with her every day (different people each time of course). Jade could still use more reps as a less dominant monster (but still a monster) and working with a variety of talent styles in 10-15 minutes match would help her grow and set her up for an Aja Kong like run where she just PLASTERS fools, but can go in big matches.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gordlow said:

Cobb yeeting dudes is right up there with my very favourite things in all of pro wrestling. Also: Keith Lee and Lance Archer yeeting dudes. Dudes getting yeeted in general, I suppose. But by Cobb in particular.

I still think they should make a big man faction with Lee and Cobb and Archer (and the Butcher) just built on Bullying everyone, throwing em around like nothing. (it'd be a great way for the POUNCE to return. Can you imagine how some of the more... vigorous sellers on the roster would sell that side-ring Pounce? They'd fly to the next county!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, SirFozzie said:

Well, Aubrey's not going to ever be women's champion but, AEW doesn't have to be all in-ring work all the time. We can occasionally have a match like this as a sports entertainment side dish that's enjoyable. Junk food, so to speak. It's when it becomes the norm it gets fattening (my first way of phrasing was a little more crude. "We can have a little sports entertainment bullshit, as a treat.")

As long as Rampage doesn’t turn into the Jeff Jarrett variety hour we are good

• Like 1

Honestly, I would love at least one match where Jarrett tries to pull an old school Zybysko, see how long he can go without actually locking up. I'm sure he could go at LEAST seven minutes without a significant move, between struts, going outside to confer with Singh/Karen/Jay Lethal, etcetera

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, zendragon said:

As long as Rampage doesn’t turn into the Jeff Jarrett variety hour we are good

I'd watch the Jeff Jarrett variety hour

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

I'd watch the Jeff Jarrett variety hour

I wanna say yes, but we kind of had it every Thursday for years already, did we not? 

Add my 2 for 2 to the pile. Very fun hour with an unbelievable main event - more butthole pucker inducing spots than I can count (especially for what is, as of tomorrow, the C show). TK has to run this one back down the line - and I really, really wanna see what Takeshita could do with Vikingo, now

I'm not sure what the policy is re: poaching from NJPW, if there's a gentlemen's agreement, anything like that, or if at some point a longer excursion may be possible, but Jeff Cobb is a guy id sign at 12:01 AM the day after his deal is up, if feasible. I was hoping he'd become more of a regular after tagging w Jericho that time - I'm also biased because his look and gear remind me a lot of Rhino in ECW who I was a big fan of as a high schooler (coincidentally another victim of the Double J Variety Hour)

Good things are happening!

• Like 3

• United Empire vs CHAOS: I liked spots and moments of this more than the overall match. It's just the style of everything broken down all the time that emphasizes the action you can get in a trios match but none of the structure or build or drama. You can do both. People in AEW seem to often times not get that. The PWG "west-coast" style is inherently empty. But you get lots of good moments and plenty of character. I like 2023 Ospreay against certain opponents. I like how he interacts with the crowd. I like his swagger. I like the hook kick. I think the hidden blade rarely looks good. I like how he looks like Fletcher's big brother. But yeah, Jeff Cobb was the guy here. Every time he entered the ring or got near the action, there was an aura of danger and the mood changed. The suplex out of the hug was a brilliant spot. I barely remember Chuck in this one but you remember Trent scrapping and dropping people with Germans and Rocky acting like he belongs no matter his size and being just tricky and persistent enough to make it work.
  • Taya vs Trish: Not a lot to say here. Trish remains underutilized but it's a testament to the deepness of the roster in both AEW and ROH. The hometown crowd went up for her for the most part.
  • Jarrett Memphis Hoo-ha: This was what it should have been. It was built around Team Jarrett having two wrestlers and Karen not wanting to get in there with Aubrey. The fans were up for it and I'm ok with everyone bumping big for Papa Briscoe given all the circumstances and they way they basically built him to be Roughhouse Fargo. Gordi probably would hate the idea but my biggest regret is that it wasn't even goofier. I wanted Aubrey's hair and the deed to the Chicken Farm vs Jeff's car and Dutt having to dress like a chicken for a month. Jericho saying Aubrey went against everything in the ref's code by using the guitar was lovely stuff.
  • Takeshita vs Bandido: First and foremost, I really enjoyed this version of Takeshita much more than super spotty babyface Takeshita. He was really interacting with his opponent, with the fans, was letting things sink in, had some escalation to his offense. Even early when he got the fireman's carry to set up the tease of the running knee, he just dropped Bandido on his face instead of hitting a DVD or something. He used his size effectively instead of trying to hide it by hitting a bunch of spots and when the spots came later in the match they meant all the more for it. I think it got a little cute at times towards the end with guys landing on their feet in an "Anything you can do, I can do better" sort of way after some grueling stuff. It should have ended after the lariat off the top or maybe one move later if you give Bandido the kickout after that. There were times where Takeshita standing and waiting in weird positions for Bandido to do things was kind of excruciating though at least neither 21-plex worked so you could say he was baiting him in, maybe, maybe. Anyway, look. I think there's something here with Takeshita against the right opponent who can rein in some of these instincts. Basically, I think he'd have a terrible match against Omega and an amazing match against Punk.

Good show with something for everyone again.

• Like 4

Number of times JR put over Takeshita’s actual in-ring skill or intelligence : 0

Number of times JR put over Takeshita’s size and his potential to get larger: 2

Maybe whoever told him to stop being weird about women can give him the talk about not talking about men like this, because it’s gross.  Taking him off the main show and only giving him Rampage and the main of Collision was absolutely the right call.

JR is my Adam Cole and I’m really trying here, but damn.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

I missed the first 5-6 minutes but I loved what I saw of the opener. Jeff Cobb rules, would love to see him regularly. I like what I’ve seen of Osprey in ring and as a full-on prick heel. I actually think his finisher looks more credible than any variation of a sling blade. Trent was doing some nasty suplays. Very head-droppy and stiff-looking. Chuck doesn’t do much for me in-ring.

Taya’s intro music is so obnoxious and off-putting that I mostly tune out her matches. I don’t know, she is a good wrestler but other than that one sliding out of the ring move she doesn’t do much for me, and she was awful on the mic. More Trish Adora, less squashes. Kris’s pants were very confusing (not in a settle down way) and she was a bit awkward on the mic as well.

I’d been very warm on Jarrett but this cooled me off. I didn’t want or need to see Aubrey wrestling, and I actually agree with Jericho that this killed some of her credibility as a ref trying to enforce the rules. Papa Briscoe was fine in that people dropped like bricks for his clotheslines, but with all the talent on the roster we have three non-wrestlers in a comedy match. I’m back to Missouri on Jarrett’s angles after spending a little time on the Memphis side of the Mississippi.

Of course I loved the main. The big flying headscissors from the ring post off the apron was really smooth and impressive looking. Strikes were all stiff-looking. Bandido got to show off his strength in a variety of ways. I liked the “landing on the feet” spots at the end, neither of them landed cleanly so I felt like it showed they were working off instinct rather than not being affected by moves. There was a lot less standing around in this than in some of the more straight-up lucha matches recently.

• Like 2