DVDVR Message Board

2023 Game Deals, Subscription Services, Etc.

Kevin Wilson

15 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Two Game Boy Color games added to Nintendo Switch Online. I haven't played them before but having more Zelda games to play can never be bad.

• The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
  • The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons

They're fantastic! I much preferred the Game Boy games to the N64 games, even back then, so I'm excited to have them all over again.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

As the official announcer of all things related to Nintendo Switch Online, I have news! Two new games added:

• Pokemon Trading Card Game (Game Boy)
  • Pokemon Stadium 2 (N64, requires Expansion Pack)

I remember playing the Pokemon TGC game a lot as a kid but no idea if it holds up.

My son got into Pokemon cards, right when the demand blew up post-pandemic when Targets ended up dropping them.  I tried learning the game incase he ever wanted to give the game a shot and not just collecting the cards.

I'm going to imagine someone now playing the GBC version of the TCG is something akin to a Yu-Gi-Oh! player now trying to play Eternal Duelist Soul, as in about 90% of the mechanics you'd be used to now don't even exist in this cart.

On 7/26/2023 at 9:16 PM, Kevin Wilson said:

Two Game Boy Color games added to Nintendo Switch Online. I haven't played them before but having more Zelda games to play can never be bad.

• The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
  • The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons

I can't remember if I ever played these, but I took a break from TOTK for Seasons and it really stands out as the most Metroidvania Zelda I've come across. Every Zelda is a little like that but this really leans into it both on the world map and in dungeons as you have to balance both the weapons/items and the seasons. It's interesting since there are a lot of core elements from Zelda and Link to the Past that then are remixed slightly.

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

They also announced price increases for PS+ It's now $79.99/134.99/159.99 a year for each of the three tiers.

Increases of $20/$35/$40 respectively

If you are currently subscribed - new price doesn't take effect until your renewal

No increase to the pay as you go or the 3 month plans

I just reupped my annual so I'm good for the year, but i imagine the pay as you go will be going up too.  But if the cost increase makes it more along the GamePass day 1 stuff, then ok.

1 minute ago, Raziel said:

I just reupped my annual so I'm good for the year, but i imagine the pay as you go will be going up too.  But if the cost increase makes it more along the GamePass day 1 stuff, then ok.

Apparently it isn't. It is still cheaper to get one of the annual plans but the savings has now shrunk

This is kinda weird because I just did the PS+ 1 year thing on cdkeys and then upgraded to the extra tier yesterday.  I wanted to play sea of stars, miles morales and horizon 2.    Not interesting, just weird.

• 2 weeks later...

As a reminder - today is the last day of XBOX's XBOX Live Gold service

Tomorrow it gets relaunched as XBOX Game Pass Core

With that service - besides access on online game play - you have access to 36 titles from Game Pass. They are...

Spoiler

Among Us
Astroneer
Celeste
Dead Cells
Descenders
Dishonored 2
Doom Eternal Standard Edition
Fable Anniversary
Fallout 4
Fallout 76
Firewatch
Forza Horizon 4 Standard Edition
Gang Beasts
Gears 5 Game of the Year Edition
Golf with your Friends
Grounded
Halo 5: Guardians
Halo Wars 2
Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice
Human Fall Flat
Inside
Limbo
Ori & the Will of the Wisps
Overcooked! 2
Payday 2: Crimewave Edition
Powerwash Simulator
Psychonauts 2
Slay the Spire
Spiritfarer: Farewell Edition
Stardew Valley
State of Decay 2: Juggernaut Edition
Superliminal
The Elder Scrolls Online
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge
Unpacking
Vampire Survivors

Honestly I would pay the $10 for a month to play just Firewatch, Powerwash Simulator, Unpacking and Vampire Survivors

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Humble Bundle has a 12 game bundle for $15.  If you like Mortal Kombat, Injustice, or the Batman games, you're in luck.

Mad Max
MORTAL KOMBAT XL
Batman: Arkham City - Game of the Year Edition
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor GOTY
Batman: Arkham Asylum Game of the Year Edition
Mortal Kombat 11
Mortal Kombat 11: Ultimate Add On
Batman: Arkham Knight Premium Edition
Middle-Earth: Shadow of War Definitive Edition
Injustice 2 Legendary Edition
Batman: Arkham Origins
Gotham Knights
Back 4 Blood

I already have the following:

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor GOTY

Gotham Knights
Back 4 Blood

PM me and they're yours for free!

Immortals of Aveum - which released at possibly the worst time ever - should be appearing on subscription services soon per its studio.

The studio is looking into getting Immortals onto Xbox Game Pass and PlayStation Plus, Robbins revealed, and is talking to both companies about deals. "We don't have a date yet," he said, "I'm pretty sure it's going to happen though."

In the meantime they released a new demo which is the first three chapters of the game

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Immortals of Aveum - which released at possibly the worst time ever - should be appearing on subscription services soon per its studio.

In the meantime they released a new demo which is the first three chapters of the game

I wanted to check it out, so this works for me. 

9 hours ago, RIPPA said:

How sad. Obviously not their plan but since no one is buying the game anyway, at least they can try to get a little money from Microsoft or Sony. I'd give it a whirl if it appears on GamePass.