DVDVR Message Board

2023 Hollywood Business (Box Office, Streaming Services, etc...)

RIPPA

I think the thing is, if you do one day of extra work ever, that's your career done. If you ever get cast in a featured role and get any kind of a following, the studio has your likeness (and the right to do whatever they want with it) forever.

• Like 1

Letterboxd has been acquired by Tiny, a Canadian holding company, in a deal that values the popular social site for film fanatics at over $50 million.

Letterboxd was founded in 2011 by two entrepreneurs in New Zealand, Matthew Buchanan and Karl von Randow. It recently topped 10 million registered accounts, after seeing a particularly sizable surge during the COVID pandemic, and has attracted celebrity users including Margo Robbie, Olivia Rodrigo, Ava DuVernay and Christopher McQuarrie.

Tiny, based in Victoria, British Columbia, now owns a 60% majority stake in Letterboxd, giving it a valuation of between $50 million and $60 million, a source familiar with the deal told Variety. Buchanan and von Randow will retain minority positions in the business and continue to lead the company. Letterboxd, known as the “Goodreads for movies,” plans to capitalize on the new ownership of Tiny to further establish the platform as the leading social network for film buffs worldwide.

https://variety.com/2023/digital/news/letterboxd-acquired-50-million-deal-valuation-1235740185/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The rate of attrition for cord cutting jumped from 7.5% in the third quarter last year to now around 9.3%.  Some cable tv companies have stopped with offering cable services or just closed down.

Variety reported on Aug 14, that Cable Companies lost 3.8 million subscribers over the last year.

• 3 weeks later...

Five Nights at Freddy's is now Blumhouse's most successful movie financially

It's worldwide total is now $283 million (on a $25 million budget)

That passes Split which made around $278 million

These Adult Swim titles are being removed from Max at the end of the year:

Mostly 4 Millennials

Tropical Cop Tales

Frisky Dingo

Hot Streets

Tom Goes to the Mayor

The Heart, She Holler

Eagleheart

Delocated

China, IL

12 oz. Mouse

Loiter Squad

The Jellies!

The Shivering Truth

Lucy, the Daughter of the Devil

It seems so obvious all these legacy production companies need to go back to just producing things and licensing them and then collecting that and some ad money from when they run and all these streaming distributors need to stop chunneling money into their own bloated productions and blowing hundreds of millions of $$$$ at a time instead of just a few million to license from a production company.

The old model was fine. I know no one is going to go back to t.v. channels but they just need to decide on like three streaming services to license everything to. Low risk high reward.  By now the FOMO of being left behind while some other service creates the perfect vertical monopoly and conquers the world is no longer a factor. No one is going to do that.

So they can stop worrying about not being the winner and just go back to low risk high reward making movies for a few million dollars and selling them in syndication/streaming packages after they play in theaters.

The Netflix Squid Game competition might be the grossest thing I've ever seen  only spending 10 minutes before turning it off.

Talk about missing the fucking point.

A fucking YouTuber did it better and less depressing 2 years ago.

I don’t know if anyone cares, but Hulu content is being rolled out on Disney+ now. Just a quick glance I see stuff like The Bear, Futurama, Handmaid’s Tale, Family Guy, American Dad, Cowboy Bebop, Always Sunny, What We Do in the Shadows, Reservation Dogs and a lot more.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Raziel said:

Additionally, a bunch of MAX stuff has seemed to find its way over to Netflix.

Mario movie left Peacock after like a month and jumped over to Netflix the other day.

The Hulu/Disney stuff is dependent on what tier of Hulu you have. I have ad free D+, but ad supported Hulu, so I get ads on something like Handmaid’s Tale. But it seems to be around a minute at the beginning, then one more towards the end of the episode. Which (iirc) is less than just accessing it through Hulu. Pretty sure it’s a handful of ads that way.

I haven’t checked out other stuff to see if that’s the norm, or even if it changes episode to episode. It’s a show I want to watch, though. And finish S2 of the Bear.

On 12/6/2023 at 2:54 PM, Casey said:

I don’t know if anyone cares, but Hulu content is being rolled out on Disney+ now. Just a quick glance I see stuff like The Bear, Futurama, Handmaid’s Tale, Family Guy, American Dad, Cowboy Bebop, Always Sunny, What We Do in the Shadows, Reservation Dogs and a lot more.

Ideally I'd prefer a unified app, but this kinda works great for me in that I can have one app for live TV and on-demand stuff that's only available with the live TV subscription, and one app that's all on demand content not from live TV.

Wait that's confusing. Let me explain.

There's two kinds of on demand content with Hulu. The kind you'd get with Hulu no matter what, and the kind you get bundled in with a live TV subscription. Kind of like the on demand library on a cable box. The problem is, it's not really well specified what kind of on demand content it is, and even if you have an ad-free account, you get ads on them.

So I'll see a show that looks interesting, but it turns out it's available via my live TV subscription, so I have ads (usually Food Network shows, for example). The content added to Disney Plus was Hulu's library only, which means I can use Disney Plus for stuff that I know is absolutely ad-free, and anything that is on Hulu but not on Disney Plus, I can assume is part of my live TV subscription and I can expect ads.

Even though I pay specifically not to get ads.

And yet this is still better than cable because it's like $60 a month cheaper.

From what I understand about the situation the unified app should be coming in the first half of next year. That was the plan once it was announced they were buying Comcast's share in Hulu.

Sadly, I'm pessimistic that a better version of the app that offers customers more clarity will ever be in the cards. When HBO and Discovery became MAX they took a perfectly good interface and fucked the menus around so it's harder to get to the specific brand of content you want. I think they think we like not knowing what the fuck is going on.

• Sad 1