DVDVR Message Board

2023 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

Casey

On 10/7/2023 at 2:25 PM, Coletti said:

Been really enjoying Sea Of Stars which isn't my usual type of game but I loooooooooooved The Messenger and it's free. Garl is the goddamn best ❤️

I was cleaning house over the weekend and found a $50 Xbox gift card I never cashed in so I plan on getting Sea of Stars after I play the demo for a bit.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2023 at 3:39 PM, Death From Above said:

The credits on MK 1 are like 10 minutes long, there is literally no reason for even a AAA fighting game to require that many people on payroll. The industry has been out of control for a while and at some point it can't go on in that direction.

MK1 had a ton of people thrown at it while CDPR worked the living shit out of their regular staff to keep Phantom Liberty on track, and then there is Bioware.  Poor, poor Bioware.  I don't think there is a labor market more chock full of entropy than the video game industry.

I think things will get better once everyone has a more reasonable expectation of production value and release schedule.  Right now, gamers want the best right now and it puts companies under a lot of pressure to deliver, so there is a lot of overpromising and underproducing going on. 

That just makes things hard for the staff that has to deliver on these promises.  Sure, there are some franchises like Madden or CoD that can meet an annual release schedule, but you are probably not going to see a game on the scale of GTA, The Last of Us, or Starfield every two or three years released by their respective developers.  That shit is going to take some time.

Edited by J.T.

yeah, look at say, Baldur's Gate 3. I bet we're going to see

A) More big games spending time in early access so they can finish iterating the engine, and to get feedback on what works and what doesn't without killing your development team (now, this is more for the big 100+hour RPG side)

B) More games being less feature-rich at release, but with robust post-release support (through free/paid DLC) if interest warrants, just because right now, one bad game is enough to kill a company, since it's supposed to set them up for years to come. Redfall comes to mind

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

I was cleaning house over the weekend and found a $50 Xbox gift card I never cashed in so I plan on getting Sea of Stars after I play the demo for a bit.

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

It's on Gamepass! Shit, was even free on PS+ last I knew...

• Like 1

I'm trying to think of the game I played the most on the PS5. It's probably Elden Ring. I clocked in something like 120 or 130 hours on that. My daughter and I both beat the first Horizon on it. And these days it's basically my daughter's Genshin Impact machine because all I've been playing is the Xbox lately. I know first party games on the PS5 are pretty much universally loved, but I'm not a fan of most of them. Horizon is pretty cool and would be better if Eloy would shut the fuck up. I really, really don't like God of War. Oh, I guess Spider-Man is alright, but it's one of those games that gives you a million moves to do and is reliant on combos and has all kinds of QTE type shit that's not QTE shit going on (like whenever it flashes above an enemies head what buttons to press) and I don't dig that part of it and I don't really dig having to level up Spider-Man and putting points into abilities or whatever it makes you do. Just, fuck, just let me be Spider-Man and make this shit simpler. Beautiful game though.

Horrible week for Paradox: First, it's revealed that Harebrained Schemed laid off 80% of their staff after the Lamplighter's League won't hit their goals (They wanted to make Btech 2 but Paradox wanted their own IP that they could own and didn't want to pay Microsoft a cut), and now, their Stellaris meets Star Trek game: Star Trek: Infinite, is getting savaged. IGN gave it a 5 of 10, with the headline being "Star Trek: Infinite does a great job of capturing the look and feel of Star Trek, but those enticing bones splinter under the weight of its bugs and glitches."

On 10/11/2023 at 9:00 AM, AxB said:

PS5 Slim? Does that refer to the size of the machine, or the available game library?

PS5 has a really big library even if the cross-gen versions are included. There's also a few PS5 only games that are a bit under the radar like The Dark Pictures: Switchback VR, Oceanhorn 2, Rhapsody Marl Kingdom Chronicles (RPG for people like me).

The problem is if you just look at the first party / AAA releases....the library is sorta small. Lots of PS5 ports (Death Stranding Director's Cut, The Last of Us Part I, Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut) but very few PS5 only games.

And you have Demon's Souls, Returnal, Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart. What more do you need?

Don’t forget about Spider-Man! But even some of those aren’t PS5 exclusive, since they’ve been ported to PC. Only one that hasn’t been, that you mentioned, is Demon’s Souls.

Anyway I joined the (refurbished) Series X gang. Now I just need to get rid of my Series S somehow. Might see if my local game store will take it for store credit or something.

Welp. It happened.

This is maybe one of the most tone deaf "trailers" I've seen Xbox or Playstation put together. For starters, I audibly laughed with the old timey "Oh what a beautiful morning" music because it just made me think of Fallout. Then I laughed harder and said "oh, you have got to be fucking kidding me" when an Orc from WoW was like, "Home."

14 hours ago, Casey said:

Don’t forget about Spider-Man! But even some of those aren’t PS5 exclusive, since they’ve been ported to PC. Only one that hasn’t been, that you mentioned, is Demon’s Souls.

Anyway I joined the (refurbished) Series X gang. Now I just need to get rid of my Series S somehow. Might see if my local game store will take it for store credit or something.

Every time I think about upgrading my S to an X, I'm reminded how little time I spend gaming lately. It'll happen. I'm just in no hurry for it.

I do need to get one before they completely eschew the optical drive. 

9 hours ago, Chaos said:

Every time I think about upgrading my S to an X, I'm reminded how little time I spend gaming lately. It'll happen. I'm just in no hurry for it.

I do need to get one before they completely eschew the optical drive. 

I think one of the big leaks from the Activision merger case was that the next iteration of the X is going to be a digital version. Whereas Sony is giving their digital console the option of having a disc drive.

I just got tired of being locked into Sony & Microsoft’s store prices. I want to play the enhanced versions of FF XIII-2, but their digital prices for all of those games are insane (IMO) and hardly ever go on sale. Or play a supposedly average (or bad) game like Rockay City, but the discounts are like 10%. Mehhh.

12 hours ago, Casey said:

I think one of the big leaks from the Activision merger case was that the next iteration of the X is going to be a digital version. Whereas Sony is giving their digital console the option of having a disc drive.

I just got tired of being locked into Sony & Microsoft’s store prices. I want to play the enhanced versions of FF XIII-2, but their digital prices for all of those games are insane (IMO) and hardly ever go on sale. Or play a supposedly average (or bad) game like Rockay City, but the discounts are like 10%. Mehhh.

Yeah, I have a few discs I want to play from my 360 and not having a disc has been frustrating. I almost bought RDR1 even though I own it the last time it went on sale for pretty cheap. It hasn't gone on sale since because a couple of months later was the release announcements on the other two consoles. I did at some point buy FFXIII digitally even though I own it. 

On 10/13/2023 at 10:54 AM, Craig H said:

Welp. It happened.

This is maybe one of the most tone deaf "trailers" I've seen Xbox or Playstation put together. For starters, I audibly laughed with the old timey "Oh what a beautiful morning" music because it just made me think of Fallout. Then I laughed harder and said "oh, you have got to be fucking kidding me" when an Orc from WoW was like, "Home."

Gotta love Micro$oft trying to spin fewer third party publishers as a good thing for gaming. If they can't create content for their systems, they just buy their way out of it.

I'm still waiting on an Xbox game that's the equivalent to Sony's Spider-Man, Horizon, The Last of Us or God of War (i.e. something created for Xbox Series S/X that makes people want to buy it). Starfield is probably that but they need more than that.

Sony owns twenty-one first party developers including Naughty Dog, Bungie, Insomniac, and Guerilla.  

Sony also has invested a huge amount of money in Epic Games, so they have a say in the development and licensing of the Unreal Engine. 

Also, no one can use the Spider-Man IP without their say so including Marvel, the company that created the character.

People should raise hell about these things, but they don't.

Meanwhile, M$ buys ADK and the world goes batshit crazy.

Edited by J.T.
  • Thanks 1