DVDVR Message Board

2023 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

Casey

The Microsoft acquisition of Activision is basically now official as A) a federal judge ruled against the FTC and B) this

The agreement is for 10 years 

• Like 1

SHOTS FIRED~!

And Holy Shit, the deal Sony signed only pertains to Call of Duty.  No mention of Overwatch, Tony Hawk, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon (two titles Sony used to own), or anything else.

Edited by J.T.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

The Microsoft acquisition of Activision is basically now official as A) a federal judge ruled against the FTC and B) this

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

At this point - not being able to play Overwatch would be doing gamers a favor

I suck at platform games, so Spyro or Crash Bandicoot as XBox exclusives would not be a huge draw for me.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Apparently, the original deal that Jim Ryan denied before all of this became an ugly public battle was to allow for most Activision-Blizzard products to be on Playstation consoles for ~7 years (I could be misremembering) or something. Curious to see if Sony does anything to react to this. I know there's been Squeenix rumors for years. 

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I was just coming to post that in the other thread. The important part of the story is this

Let’s get the big question out of the way first. Yes, you will be able to access games you’ve downloaded via the Games with Gold program, but here’s the catch: For Xbox One games, you’ll need to remain a Game Pass Core or Game Pass Ultimate subscriber to keep your Games with Gold games. 

According to Microsoft, Xbox 360 games are exempt from this requirement, as per the copy on the Game Pass Core announcement page:

Regardless of subscription status, any Xbox 360 titles redeemed via Games with Gold in the past will be kept in a player’s library.

The quality of the games released via GWG has been in the sewer for a long time.  I approve of the shitcanning of GWG and will convert to the Console tier once it's all done.

I imagine that the Convert Gold to Game Pass Ultimate deal will die soon if it is not already dead.  I never converted because I am lazy.

Edited by J.T.

16 hours ago, J.T. said:

SHOTS FIRED~!

And Holy Shit, the deal Sony signed only pertains to Call of Duty.  No mention of Overwatch, Tony Hawk, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon (two titles Sony used to own), or anything else.

I actually don't have a strong opinion on this merger, but I never trust anyone using the phrase "wasting the taxpayers' money", no matter the context or political party.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Robert S said:

I actually don't have a strong opinion on this merger, but I never trust anyone using the phrase "wasting the taxpayers' money", no matter the context or political party.

Not sure if it's waste if you are following your standard procedure , but the FTC, a US government agency, did indeed spend American taxpayer dollars in a failed bid to protect a Japanese company from a merger that would better allow an American company to compete against it.   The optics are horrible.

21 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

I now own jagged alliance 3 and the front mission remake. Two weeks before baldurs gate 3 releases. My backlog of shame is not shrinking 

I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on JA3 once you get some time into it.  I'm so divorced from game news these days I had no idea it was coming out until it popped up on Steam.

Jagged Alliance 3: A less-forgiving X-Com game (where weapons and tools need constant repair, taking any amount damage means you have wounds which will reduce your characters max HP until healed (and it takes up very limited supplies to do the healing), and there's no shop in sight, so you'll be needing to be very frugal with weapons and equipment. Being out in the open means you'll be shot (and thus wounded) very easily.

The system is a bit opaque (by default, the game will NOT tell you the percentage to hit, (there is an official mod) and it's not clear you can spend extra AP to Aim to have a better chance to hit. The people are humorous, and the AI is at least decent, it attempted to spread out so I couldn't flank easily.

I spent $15 to avoid wasting $40 today.

Signed up for PS Plus and decided I was going to give Demon's Souls another try because MaYbE i'M mIsSiNg SoMeThInG but no, I'm not.  I spent the last couple of months getting muscle-trained back on TOTK and switching was a bit much.  Found myself hammering items I didn't want to use when I was supposed to be spamming attack, and it was just too frustrating to get out of that mode.  So I looked in the settings, and fuck no, why would you be able to change the controller layout of a game in 2023?

At least that saves me ever, ever bothering with Elden Ring, either.  Fuck their bullshit. 

So I jumped into Shadow of the Colossus but holy GOD does it give me something of a headache.  I'm going to have to look at whether there's a setting that will quit the damn camera sway that seems to constantly happen.  I feel like I'm going to have a seizure or something (so probably saved me money for that, too, if we're being honest).  The controls on it are janky as fuck, too.  Even ICO, which I beat, didn't feel as messed-up.  EDIT: There isn't.  Again, with 10+ years of time to not be annoying and literally make people sick with your game.  Gonna be deleting that.

Edited by Contentious C

Demon's Souls is a game from 2008 and the remaster is by a totally different company. Though honestly reading most of your posts, you should absolutely avoid Elden Ring for totally different reasons. You 100% seem like the kind of person that would leave the tutorial cave and die to the completely optional miniboss on horseback 50 times and then rage post about it for the next 7 years.

• Like 1