DVDVR Message Board

NFL Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2014

paragon11

I think they both deserve to be in but I feel that Strahan had a more productive career (I actually agree with Sapp that Strahan's record is kinda bs because Farve flopped at his feet). They're both great d-line men but Sapp had more talent around him on his defenses than Strahan did for most of their careers so Sapp could be a product of his team, not saying he was he was an anchor of that defense but he had Barber and Lynch and a bunch of other guys behind him. Strahan excelled with less talent around him basically. And on a personal level I've always liked Sapp way more than Strahan, I will say no more about that out of respect for certain fans of a team from New York...

I feel the same way about Andre Reed.  Not saying he doesn't deserve to be in, but it was getting tedious hearing about it.

Poor Tim Brown, though, still out in the WR cold.  At least Marvin is there to keep him company.

I imagine Brown will be the next one in, though Reed was a finalist for eight straight years before getting in. I know the football writers aren't as hung up on character as the baseball ones, but Harrison's is pretty sketchy even by NFL standards. . . 

Hooray Andre Reed.  I guess that will be the last Buffalo Bills player to get in for at least... 20 more years (I am a Bills fan, I am allowed to make fun of them).

Unless Guy getting in suddenly warms the committee's heart to let Tasker in, but that's a long shot at best. . . 

The only rationale for Sapp not being in the HOF is if you don't like him on a personal level.  And that doesn't hold enough weight. I'm convinced some folks are still upset that bad boy Sapp made it in over good guy Strahan last year when they first became eligible last year.

When was Strahan ever the "good guy"?

Glad Ray Guy made it. Dude proved that good punters made a great difference and was the best at his position in my lifetime

Guy getting in for being arguably the greatest at his position raises a question that Costas, of all freakin' people, raised years ago — shouldn't Devin Hester make the Hall based on being the best there's ever been at his position?

This year's final 17 candidates was insane as over half made an "All-Decade" team, and voters can only select five "modern day" players. Morten Andersen, Tim Brown, Kevin Greene, Marvin Harrison, and Will Shields were the ones who didn't make it

Surprised that Reed made it and Harrison didn't based on statistics and visibility (don't remember the Bills getting as much national regular-season coverage as the Colts did)

Perhaps the homicide had something to do with Harrison. Perhaps it was more voters felt a need to finally get Reed enshrined

Harrison will eventually get in. As Chase Stuart blogged after Carter was elected last season, 22 receivers had been picked since WWII, and only Lance Alworth, Raymond Berry, Steve Largent, Jerry Rice and Paul Warfield were first-ballot

Strahan also had his share of bad off-field publicity, plus a small tarnish on the sack record.

Opine that Haley was never as great at his position as Harrison was, but to each one's own

Never heard or read vocal and passionate support for Kevin Greene, odd given his place on an All-Decade team. Possible I've missed it. Still, I'd expect have heard something given the attention paid to Brown, Carter, etc.

I think that most of this class is spot on. I'm glad to see Andre Reed to get in so that the WR log jam that can get that much looser. Hopefully they'll get Tim Brown and Marvin Harrison in before Randy Moss and Terrell Owens become eligible.

Aeneas Williams is the one that puzzles me. And I am a Bronco fan, but is Williams better than Steve Atwater?

And they need to take one spot away from the veterans and give it to contributors....

When was Strahan ever the "good guy"?

His persona gives the appearance of being a good guy.  Not saying he is or isn't--obviously, I don't know, no more than I do with Sapp.  But based on image, post-football media career, endorsements, other former players liking him--Strahan seems to be pretty well liked.

There is no way in hell Tasker is a HiF worthy guy.

He wouldn't be on my top list either, but if this "best player" at his position stuff goes forward, he is (by most opinions I've heard anyway) the best special team player in recent history anyway. He has a stronger case than Hester, anyway. . . 

The thing about Reed being on those Bills teams is a double edged sword. Did he benefit from having other targets on the field? Yes,  At the same time he had Thurman, Pete Metzelars(wrong spelling) James Lofton, Don Bebbe, and others for much of his career to compete with for yards. Plus he played in an era were wide receivers could be mugged makes his yards much harder to gain, I would think.

Oh good grief, Tasker and Hester? At least Guy was the best at his position because he was good at that position. Tasker and Hester sucked at their other positions. Hester? The guy makes one or two plays a year and that makes him a HOFer? No way. Great returner, yes. HOF? No. And don't even get me start on Tasker.

Harrison ain't getting in either - not with the life of crime stuff floating in the air regarding him.

From Peter King(I know he's about self righteous prick, but I wanted to see his HOF opinions, though I really shouldn't care) No shit its a democracy, you fat fuck, god forbid you alone have the vote, god knows what the HOF would look like then.

I did not support Andre Reed. I covered a lot of Buffalo games in the Bills’ prime, and I believe he was a very good receiver but not one of the all-time greats. I like Tim Brown better, and Marvin Harrison significantly better. As I’ve felt since the day I got on the committee more than two decades ago, the 46-member panel is a democracy, and if 80 percent of the group thinks one of the five finalists is a Hall of Famer, then he’s a Hall of Famer, and good for him. But I want to be honest with you, because so many of you care so deeply about the Hall.