DVDVR Message Board

NFL Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2014

paragon11

Since the baseball HOF got some nice discussion, I figure why not discuss this year's potential Hall of Fame class?

Your 25 semifinalists...

Morten Andersen, K – 1982-1994 New Orleans Saints, 1995-2000, 2006-07 Atlanta Falcons, 2001 New York Giants, 2002-03 Kansas City Chiefs, 2004 Minnesota Vikings
Steve Atwater, S – 1989-1998 Denver Broncos, 1999 New York Jets 
Jerome Bettis, RB – 1993-95 Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams, 1996-2005 Pittsburgh Steelers
**Derrick Brooks, LB – 1995-2008 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Tim Brown, WR/KR – 1988-2003 Los Angeles/Oakland Raiders, 2004 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Don Coryell, Coach – 1973-77 St. Louis Cardinals, 1978-1986 San Diego Chargers 
Roger Craig, RB – 1983-1990 San Francisco 49ers, 1991 Los Angeles Raiders, 1992-93 Minnesota Vikings
Terrell Davis, RB – 1995-2001 Denver Broncos
Edward DeBartolo, Jr., Owner – 1977-2000 San Francisco 49ers
**Tony Dungy, Coach – 1996-2001 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 2002-08 Indianapolis Colts
Kevin Greene, LB/DE – 1985-1992 Los Angeles Rams, 1993-95 Pittsburgh Steelers, 1996, 1998-99 Carolina Panthers, 1997 San Francisco 49ers
Charles Haley, DE/LB – 1986-1991, 1999 San Francisco 49ers, 1992-96 Dallas Cowboys
**Marvin Harrison, WR – 1996-2008 Indianapolis Colts
Joe Jacoby, T – 1981-1993 Washington Redskins 
Jimmy Johnson, Coach – 1989-1993 Dallas Cowboys, 1996-99 Miami Dolphins
**Walter Jones, – T – 1997-2008 Seattle Seahawks
John Lynch, FS – 1993-2003 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 2004-07 Denver Broncos
Karl Mecklenburg, LB – 1983-1994 Denver Broncos 
Andre Reed, WR – 1985-1999 Buffalo Bills, 2000 Washington Redskins
Will Shields, G – 1993-2006 Kansas City Chiefs
Michael Strahan, DE – 1993-2007 New York Giants
Paul Tagliabue, Commissioner – 1989-2006 National Football League
Aeneas Williams, CB/S – 1991-2000 Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals, 2001-04 St. Louis Rams 
Steve Wisniewski, G – 1989-2001 Los Angeles/Oakland Raiders
George Young, Contributor – 1968-1974 Baltimore Colts, 1975-78 Miami Dolphins, 1979-1997 New York Giants, 1998-2001 National Football League

**Denotes 1st time on the ballot

Senior Committee Nominees are Ray Guy and Claude Humphrey

Discuss!

• Like 1

The Ray Guy is the thing most interesting to me since normally the Senior Committee guys are automatically put in but there are still people in the voting committee who are all "A PUNTER! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Move on."

I mean Guy should have been in a decade ago but this is probably his last shot

The list gets pared down from the 25 modern candidates to 15, but the 2 senior guys move into the final discussion, so 17 in total.

There's a lot of great players/coaches on that list.  Be interesting to see how the committee sorts it all out.

I continue to support TD for the Hall of Fame.  I know the arguments against (short career, low overall totals) but he was a force of nature for 4 years, one of the best stretches in NFL history, won an MVP, a Super Bowl MVP, and finally got John Elway his rings.

I continue to support TD for the Hall of Fame.  I know the arguments against (short career, low overall totals) but he was a force of nature for 4 years, one of the best stretches in NFL history, won an MVP, a Super Bowl MVP, and finally got John Elway his rings.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.  I think everyone has Emmit Smith and Barry Sanders on their short lists of best running backs of all time, but Terrell Davis was better than those guys for a couple seasons. 1998 was probably the best all around season a runningback has ever had.  For about three years he was about as good as anyone who has ever done it, he should be in.

Walter Jones is can't miss. He never received much media attention (position and playing in Seattle all those years) but he was a tremendous player. Strahan, I don't really like the guy but he has the numbers. Bettis should be in. Haley should be in.

#88 is going to be interesting. I don't know how the voters will look at [REDACTED] but his numbers are great. Problem is..  Moss and T.O. have better numbers though I can't shake the feeling that the voters will try to fuck them.

I can see the voting panel screwing T.O. but Moss will be tougher to pull that on, I think.

I'll be interested in seeing what happens with Harrison, too, obviously.  Great numbers with a future HOF QB, but an ugly post-NFL situation.  I think he gets in, but watching how it unfolds will be high theater.

I can see the voting panel screwing T.O. but Moss will be tougher to pull that on, I think.

I'll be interested in seeing what happens with [redacted], too, obviously.  Great numbers with a future HOF QB, but an ugly post-NFL situation.  I think he gets in, but watching how it unfolds will be high theater.

The voting panel screwing over T.O. is almost an inevitablity, which is a shame because at his best he was unstoppable.  T.O. was a HUMONGOUS pain in the ass, but when you are putting together a hall of the best players, you have to put him in there.  He played in the Super Bowl with a broken leg, and would have been MVP if they would have won.  Seriously he has the 5th most touchdowns all-time, but the voters will try to keep him out.

Jerome Bettis to me is a harder decision for me.  I think he was a really good player for a really long time for a running back, but would you have ever put him on your top five running back list?  He was at his best in 96 and 97, but you wouldn't have traded him for Barry Sanders, Terrell Davis, Emmitt Smith, Ricky Waters, or Eddie George.  He was one of my favorite players at the time, but I don't know if it was because he was so fun to watch or if he was actually great. 

Derrick Brooks and Michael Strahan should be locks.  Warren Sapp and John Lynch got more highlights, but Derrick Brooks was probably the best of the three(which is saying something because Warren Sapp was a fucking beast).  He was just one of those guys who always seemed to be in on every play.  Urlacher who was a media darling was really good, but if given the choice I'd take Brooks 100 times out of 100.  Strahan is 5th all-time in sacks and just disruptive as a pass rusher.  He won defensive player of the year twice and he was probably the best defensive end in the league between 1997 and 2005. 

I think voters look at Bettis' TD numbers and think they're inflated.  Which they kind of are, considering the 1- and 2-yard scores he got later in his career.  Even with that, he only has 91 rushing TDs for his career and perhaps more surprisingly, only two seasons of 10+ rushing scores.

Bettis is a case of a very good and entertaining player, but not quite the best.

Moss and T.O. literally have the same exact numbers...  They are the 2nd and 3rd best receivers of all time (numbers wise) behind Rice.

Lets put it this way... Many said Carter's numbers were inflated by the era and I can see that but I felt he was still hall of fame worthy given how good his numbers really are. These two absolutely DESTROY Carter's numbers and if you asked me out of the three which receiver I would want to win one game with..  Carter would be a distant third way behind both of them..

I think Kurt Warner will get in. Won a Super Bowl, couple MVPs, took the Cards to a Super Bowl.

That is a hard one, he was either great or fucking terrible.  I would like to see him get in, but he could very well be left out, especially since he was at his worse in New York, and there are more sports writers from New York than anywhere else. 

I think Kurt Warner will get in. Won a Super Bowl, couple MVPs, took the Cards to a Super Bowl.

That is a hard one, he was either great or fucking terrible. I would like to see him get in, but he could very well be left out, especially since he was at his worse in New York, and there are more sports writers from New York than anywhere else.

Kurt Warner should have 3 Super Bowl rings. What are the odds you hand your defense the lead twice with less than 2 minutes left and they completely blow it both times? Especially the Cardinals. Kurt should be first ballot in my opinion, considering I'm taking his Super Bowl performances into play.

I wonder if voters discount Davis's accomplishments because of what Shanahan was able to do with lesser RBs.

And I'm not shocked that Jacoby's not in the HoF.  A lot of times Gibbs Mk 1 Skins were a whole (much) greater than the sum.  It was a bit of a shock IIRC when Grimm got elected.  And it took Monk years before he got in.