DVDVR Message Board

2022 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

Just now, Lawful Metal said:

I just hope that when Deshaun gets traded he goes the Harden route and gets horribly out of shape and plays like ass and complains about some flat earther on the team.  I mean, Deshaun already doesn't play defense!

Yeah but I don't the NFL is going to change the rules to eliminate his gimmicky offense. . .

20 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Apparently the Fins are signing Teddy Bridgewater to back up Tua

@Dolfan in NYC

The deal is 1 year, up to $10m based on playing time.  6.5 guaranteed. 

Miami's snatching OG Connor Williams.  2/14.  7.5 guaranteed.   

I like Miami picking up Teddy.  He's a solid vet with a good head on his shoulders and he can certainly play if needed.  And he's good enough that Tua should feel pushed by him a little bit.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

Looking at the current WR Depth Chart for the Falcons Kyle Pitts is going to get an insane number of targets next year. 

Sweet.  I've got a pretty nice rookie card of his.

• Like 1

2 years & $17 million for a backup?? Ugh. Are we sure Gettleman actually left?

I get that having a reliable backup can be an important piece of the puzzle. But surely they could have found more value out there. At least throw the number 56 on Tyrod so it feels like The Giants got a better deal. #56 Taylor for $17 million? A steal!

Its only 8.5 million guaranteed and like it or not that is the going rate for "quality" backups right now.

Cheaper leads to the fiasco that happened last season

Plus - the new Giants management wanted a (relatively) mobile backup QB since that is the offense they are going to be running so that narrows the choices even further (The following is an old tweet but basically shows the pool they were looking at)

Dammit - hit post too soon

To further clarify - Taylor's deal is actually only 2 years, $11 million (5.5 million each season). It can hit $17 million with incentives (which would probably mean he would have to start all year to hit them)

As a Bills' fan I'll always be appreciative of Tyrod and his efforts with the team, but man he's looked rough the last couple years. I used to see him as a very serviceable bridge/high end backup QB but after last year I don't even know anymore. Hope he plays well for the Giants when Jones gets hurt/benched.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

I just hope that when Deshaun gets traded he goes the Harden route and gets horribly out of shape and plays like ass and complains about some flat earther on the team.  I mean, Deshaun already doesn't play defense!

No no no Harden gets out of shape when he wants traded, and then seemingly drops fifteen pounds in a few days and sets the world on the fire his first couple games at his new team.

• Like 1

The only rule changes officially proposed by clubs this offseason are all around OT

Eagles and Colts are just proposing the straight "Both teams get the ball at least once"

Titans proposal is that a team can still win on opening possession if they get a TD AND 2 Pt conversion

Houston has apparently told Deshaun they've approved the packages from Cleveland, New Orleans, and Carolina, and will let him pick where he goes.  

Notes 

• He's met with everyone, including the Niners.  
  • As noted, Baker really sounds like he's expecting to play in Texas next season.
  • New Orleans just re-structured CB Bradley Roby giving them cap space. Which, may be how they keep Terron Armstead if they win the Deshaun lotto.  
  • HOWEVER...  they just grabbed S Marcus Maye away from the Jets, so that may be why they freed the cap space. 

The decision is expected some time today. 

42 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The only rule changes officially proposed by clubs this offseason are all around OT

Eagles and Colts are just proposing the straight "Both teams get the ball at least once"

Titans proposal is that a team can still win on opening possession if they get a TD AND 2 Pt conversion

I remember years ago Beano Cook talking about proposed college OT formats and one of them was a first to 8. Never heard that format ever brought up again, I'm assuming the biggest issue is that it could drag on for awhile.

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Dammit - hit post too soon

To further clarify - Taylor's deal is actually only 2 years, $11 million (5.5 million each season). It can hit $17 million with incentives (which would probably mean he would have to start all year to hit them)

Okay 2 years 11 million is much more reasonable. I must have seen that 17 number and was in such a rage I stopped reading lol.

I will say that I actually like The Giants not going crazy on free agents. (Cap space could be the reason in actuality. But it still counts). They spent an ass load last year and they had a 0 TD season from Golliday to show for it. It seems much more reasonable to get their system in place. Get a year under their belt. Decide if Danny Dimes is the guy or not. Then you spend money and try to get the pieces together. Crawl. Walk. Run. Under Gettleman it was all Crab Walk all the time.