DVDVR Message Board

The Box Office Thread

EVA

Bay makes amazing bad movies and if you were a crazy billionaire and you had to choose a director for your bio pic, the entire shortlist should be Bay and Paul Verhoeven.

Goes without saying the Transformers movies are awful and the correct answer is Verhoeven, but still.

I actually enjoyed The Island as a really dumb movie that tries to be kind of smart and fails totally at that and goes back to being dumb.

Bay makes amazing bad movies and if you were a crazy billionaire and you had to choose a director for your bio pic, the entire shortlist should be Bay and Paul Verhoeven.

The answer is Wes Anderson. The answer to this forever is Wes Anderson.

I'm not a big Transformers fan or anything, and I'm not beholden to any notions that there's a masterpiece just waiting to be made from the material, but it's kind of infuriating to me that there's this one guy who gets to be the sole cinematic voice of these characters. Can we maybe let someone else take a swing at making a giant transforming robot movie that isn't purile, incomprehensible horse shit? I believe there's someone out there who can do it.

Some possible shadiness with Transformers' $100m opening weekend.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/100-million-debate-transformers-debut-was-big-but-how-big-1404174343

Rentrak Corp.'s reporting system has a direct line into the vast majority of theaters in the U.S. and Canada, to track actual ticket sales, but it isn't in quite all of them. To report their "actual" gross the Monday after a film opens, studios estimate the sales at the small number of remaining locations. That figure stands as the final publicly reported opening gross of the movie. Large openings, particularly ones that pass milestone figures like $100 million, are often touted for marketing and publicity purposes by studios.

According to several people with access to Rentrak data, the system provided ticket sales data for about 4,100 of the 4,233 theaters playing "Transformers" in the U.S. and Canada. Together, those theaters sold about $95.9 million of tickets for the film.

Theaters that don't report into Rentrak tend to be small, independent locations that do less business than average. So when calculating their Monday "actuals," studios typically assume that those outlier theaters each gross at most half of what the average theater reporting to Rentrak does.

By that method, "Transformers: Age of Extinction" would have grossed about $97.5 million.

In order for the movie to reach $100 million, the "Transformers" theaters not tracked by Rentrak would have had to gross more than the nation-wide average—a rare though not unprecedented assumption for a studio to make.

So the top 2 movies this weekend are Michael Bay's continued desecration of the Transformers, and a Melissa McCarthy movie? For shame america, FOR SHAME.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, The Expendables 3 flopped. Not sure if:

1) People don't see it as a proper action movie if Liam Neeson isn't shooting goons while trying to get his daughter back

2) Potential audience members wanted to see power-mad men go nuts with tanks and guns but then realized they could just stay at home and watch the news and not have to pay all that money for popcorn.

Gibson.

I think, against standard logic, the pg-13 rating probably didn't help.

Lets be Cops is doing well.  TMNT and GotG both did well.  We're on pace for the best domestic August ever, after a brutal first three months of the summer blockbuster season.

GotG is almost certainly going to pass Cap for #1 on the year (until Mockingjay comes along...)

I might be wrong but I think TMNT is the first movie to be first at the box office back to back weekends since the "official" start of summer. Transformers was making all kinds of money and looked on track to beat Cap but its still 16 million shy and judging but its 800,000 domestic its pretty much done earning for the year. TMNT still needs about another 18 million to become the top earning TMNT movie it should get close judging by it doing just under 30 million in its second week. Its been an underwhelming summer both in terms of box office money and really in terms of quality movies. Outside of GOTG I didn't walk away from any movie this summer thinking "man that was virtually perfect". Neighbors was fun, Days of Future Past was really fun but nothing seemed great this year for me. 

Outside of hardcore Ric Flair/Hulk Hogan fans is there anyone that actually wants to see senior citizens involved in action blockbusters?

People who saw Red?

Given that Red 2 did 37 million less domestic than the first one, maybe not.

Helen Mirren is way more of a badass than a third of the cast of this film though. Come on.

Preach