DVDVR Message Board

J.T.

My brother subscribes to Criterion.   I will probably extort his login by threatening to change the logins to my Disney+ and Netflix accounts since those are the streaming services he leeches the most.

• Like 1

Well it looks like the home of the 101 Scariest Horror Movie Moments docs has moved from Bravo to Shudder.

Newest installment is currently available.

Edited by J.T.

8 hours ago, J.T. said:

Trailer 2 for the next M. Night Shyamalan joint, Knock at the Cabin featuring Dave Bautista and Rupert Grint.

That's the same trailer - the release date on the video is Sept 22 ?

On 10/6/2022 at 5:39 PM, J.T. said:

Someone read our thread and posted episodes of the 1987 Werewolf series.   Chuck Connors is the one of the best werewolves ever.

God damn! Thank you for posting these! I've been whining to my cousins about wanting to get copies of this for about two years now since we've been on a retro binge of 80s and 90s nostalgia. Finding stuff like the Legend of Zelda cartoon series, Captain N series, etc.

And of all the goodies we've found on the tubes, we've never been able to find complete episodes for this even though we all loved this series as kids.

You are my hero, sincerely

/appreciation rant 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

So Halloween Ends was.... bad. Right? Like the opening 30 minutes is Lifetime TV movie of the week bad. Some good kills near the end but like... wow. That was not a good movie.

Yeah, the Tomatometer for Halloween Ends is not looking good right now.   I'll watch it on Peacock when it debuts just for the sake of closure.

On 7/29/2022 at 9:55 AM, HumanChessgame said:

Another installment in the V/H/S series (V/H/S/99) is coming out this fall. The last installment was way better than I expected so here's hoping this one continues that upward momentum. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

So Halloween Ends was.... bad. Right? Like the opening 30 minutes is Lifetime TV movie of the week bad. Some good kills near the end but like... wow. That was not a good movie.

We turn to John Carpenter:

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I'm already roped into seeing Halloween Ends because my best friend is the biggest Halloween nut on the planet and I didn't see Kills with him. Something else I'm gonna see with him and his SO tonight is Nosferatu with LIVE PIPE ORGAN PLAYER. It's gonna be a mad dash to get out of work and across town but I'm not missing that. 

• Like 3

On 10/13/2022 at 8:48 AM, RIPPA said:

Fuck... I am gonna have to do a Bonus Review for that now aren't I?

I checked my Shudder queue while I was firing up Speak No Evil and it is six episodes long.  I might binge it sometime this weekend if I am feeling up to it.  I still have at least one more night of graveyard duty over the weekend and that might end up turning into two.

Edited by J.T.

17 hours ago, J.T. said:

Yeah, the Tomatometer for Halloween Ends is not looking good right now.   I'll watch it on Peacock when it debuts just for the sake of closure.

It went up on Peacock last night at 8PM. They did the same day / date release for this one. I think they knew they had a stinker and wanted to mitigate fan frustration. Hard to be too mad if you're seeing it for free in your home like I did. But I was astonished at some of the choices they made for the story. It's not what I was expecting narrative wise for the conclusion of a trilogy focused on Laurie & Michael.

• Like 1

Halloween Kills: This is stupid and nonsensical, especially the final act

Halloween Ends: Hold my beer

Spoiler

This was like if the EMT in Friday the 13th Part 5 actually sought out Jason to become his protege combined with the whole eating Jason's heart gimmick from Part 9. The new killer was a mix of that and Arnie Cunningham from Christine turning into a new person after getting possessed or whatever.  I don't know what was stupider, the weird kid takes over as The Shape and inherits his powers (that once again are never even explained), Myers not even being in it, or the town funeral at the end, which could very easily have just been done in that scene in the last movie where half the town has Myers at their mercy.

I don't know if this and Kills were as bad as the two Rob Zombie movies, but holy shit were they not good at all.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, J.T. said:

I checked my Shudder queue while I was firing up Speak No Evil and it is six episodes long.  I might binge it sometime this weekend if I am feeling up to it.  I still have at least one more night of graveyard duty over the weekend and that might end up turning into two.

My interest in it will be proportional to how much Eli Roth is in it

I don’t know that ENDS fully works, but I love that they tried something different rather than going through the same old motions. It’s worth remembering that SEASON OF THE WITCH was rejected by critics and audiences on its initial release, despite now being widely beloved for its strangeness. I see a similar fate for ENDS—it’s not what most people wanted from HALLOWEEN right now, but once we get some distance, people are going to start appreciating it for what it actually is.

The opening scene alone is a GOAT slasher opening scene. So glad I didn’t have that one spoiled for me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EVA said:

I see a similar fate for ENDS—it’s not what most people wanted from HALLOWEEN right now, but once we get some distance, people are going to start appreciating it for what it actually is.

I’m inclined to agree with that without having watched Ends yet just based on the response so far and the way Curse of Michael Myers and Zombie’s Halloween II have both aged into cult classic territory. 

Edited by (BP)

I figured I needed to get Halloween Ends out of the way, because I hate avoiding spoilers. 

Spoiler

I did not expect an opening scene with a child death, a fairly graphic one as well. 

Think my wife fell hard for every jump scare, as she was screaming early. 

Corey becoming a partner to Michael was odd. 

Although, I did enjoy the tag-team kills. 

I didn't really vibe with Allyson and Corey as a couple. 

At one point I thought that Allyson was going to try to get revenge on Laurie for Corey's death. 

The film was saved, for me, due to the final chapter. 

The fight between Laurie and Michael was a nice touch. 

Leaving Michael in pieces was a nice last act for this series' epoch. 

Lots of Easter eggs or at least spots where the fans could mark out over knitting needles and such. 

I give it one chef's knife up. ?

Spoiler
Spoiler

I am old and dumb.  It has taken me this long to figure out that the segment, Lover's Vow, from the movie, Tales from the Darkside:  The Movie, is really an adaptation of The Woman of the Snow from Kwaidan only with gargoyles and a grislier fate for the father.

• Like 1