DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

35 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Luddite is a relative term.  I am a computer security professional with several certifications

Do you have your CISSP?

Okay - I officially own a XBOX Series X

Of course almost had a heart attack as my wife texted me (she is home) "Any update on your XBOX?"

So I was like "Let me check Fed Ex... SHIT... it says it was left at the front door a hour ago. No Signature Required"

And by front they meant "downstairs at the open air mailboxes" since it wasn't on our doorstep.

Fortunately it was still there when my wife went down to grab it (and they actually shipped it in a plain unmarked cardboard box)

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Tabe said:

Do you have your CISSP?

I am MCSE / CEH / Security+ certified.  I'm probably going to try to get my LPT certification fairly soon.

CISSP is a good program but it is the go to program for a lot of budding cybersecurity professionals, so you have to be creative in what certs you go after so you don't set yourself up to look like just another IT drone.

I'm not saying you shouldn't get your CISSP, but certs have varying amounts of value amongst recruiters and employers.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Okay - I may or may not be raging at Microsoft soon 

It all depends on if I am able to use my new Game Pass on both my Series X and XBox One (and to a slightly lesser point - if I am getting refunded for the like 9 months they apparently just took away from me)

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I am MCSE / CEH / Security+ certified.  I'm probably going to try to get my LPT certification fairly soon.

I've got an ancient MCSE myself.  Not exactly looking to get another cert but also kinda looking around for something to refresh my skill set.

29 minutes ago, Tabe said:

I've got an ancient MCSE myself.  Not exactly looking to get another cert but also kinda looking around for something to refresh my skill set.

If you want to add a few letters to your name but don't want to spend months studying for certification exams, you may want to shoot for CompTia A+, Network+, or Security+ certifications.  The exams are no joke, but nowhere near as punishing as the ones or MCSE or CISSP, and the CompTia certs will give you additional geek cred.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Okay - I may or may not be raging at Microsoft soon 

It all depends on if I am able to use my new Game Pass on both my Series X and XBox One (and to a slightly lesser point - if I am getting refunded for the like 9 months they apparently just took away from me)

Okay - they tacked on my Gold membership to my Game Pass subscription and technically my subscription doesn't run out till March 2024

I really hope I am alive then

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, J.T. said:

If you want to add a few letters to your name but don't want to spend months studying for certification exams, you may want to shoot for CompTia A+, Network+, or Security+ certifications.  The exams are no joke, but nowhere near as punishing as the ones or MCSE or CISSP, and the CompTia certs will give you additional geek cred.

I can vouch for A+ and Network+. It got me my previous job, which got me my current job.

Now I'm wanting to get a CISA (Certified Information Security Auditor) cert at my current job and eventually get a Security+, CISM and CRISC.

The only downside to CompTIA is it doesn't prepare you for dealing with departments expecting you to support off-the-wall/out of date software that don't work at all on Windows 10 (that's working for an university for you). And they won't spend the money to buy updated software because some professor wants to spend $10K for everyone to go to a conference that year.

It really is a little thing but the fact that I was able to take my External HD, unplug it from my XBox One and plug it directly into my Series X and immediately start playing stuff that I had on is so amazingly appreciated

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

It really is a little thing but the fact that I was able to take my External HD, unplug it from my XBox One and plug it directly into my Series X and immediately start playing stuff that I had on is so amazingly appreciated

This.  I basically want every system going forward to have plug-and-play external storage.  I'm actually a little annoyed I have to save games to the internal PS5 drive in order to play them.  I know people don't like the look of the dangly cables or whatever, but I'm guessing my external HDD is going to outlive my console, so the smart thing to do seems to be save to the external whenever possible.  When my PS4 Pro died unexpectedly, I wasn't too put out because I had most games of note saved to the external drive.  All the hard drive had on it was 20 gb of indie games that I bought before I owned a Switch (later bought those same games for Switch, so the PS4 versions were extraneous.

Instead of playing any of the games on my backlog I'm just creating new characters in Grim Dawn again.  I'm doing sword and board Warlord (Oathkeeper/Soldier) and I'm basically Captain America if Captain America set everything he touched on fire.  I'm at the Loghorrean now and I'm not sure I'll try the DLC with this character or try some kind of caster build since I haven't run through the whole game with one.

• Like 1

I am so overwhelmed by the choices I have in Game Pass.

I did a really quick scan and saw at least a half a dozen titles that I was like "Oh I want to play that immediately"

Oh technology you are too smart for your own good.

My new machine decided it needed to redownload all the games on my external HDD - so I suddenly had two copies of Destiny 2, Borderlands 3 and Hitman 3 downloaded.

Thank God it ran out of room when trying to install GTA V for a 2nd time

4 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Instead of playing any of the games on my backlog I'm just creating new characters in Grim Dawn again.  I'm doing sword and board Warlord (Oathkeeper/Soldier) and I'm basically Captain America if Captain America set everything he touched on fire.  I'm at the Loghorrean now and I'm not sure I'll try the DLC with this character or try some kind of caster build since I haven't run through the whole game with one.

I loved my Cap build, it's one of the few I've actually made significant headway on taking through the higher difficulty levels. I've never really done a pure caster build, I'm usually Shooty McFuckYourFace with a side of LOLYou'reOnFireNow. I understand they can do some insane damage, but the few times I've started them I never get out of the first Act because they are squishy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

I loved my Cap build, it's one of the few I've actually made significant headway on taking through the higher difficulty levels. I've never really done a pure caster build, I'm usually Shooty McFuckYourFace with a side of LOLYou'reOnFireNow. I understand they can do some insane damage, but the few times I've started them I never get out of the first Act because they are squishy.

Dual-wielding Inquisitor/Demolitionist is definitely my favorite build I've done so far.  Just stack a bunch of proc skills on your default attack plus the elemental storm devotion and I could just hold down the mouse button and stuff would melt.

A lot of my builds founder at the start of Act 2 when all of a sudden everyone is doing ranged pierce damage and I just get wrecked.

• Like 1

I'm honestly surprised nobody said anything on here yet but Super Potato has an eBay page.  While you can likely get some of this stuff elsewhere it's pretty cool to see these in one online store.  And all things considered those are some darn good prices to boot.  I don't know how much @John E. Dynamitewould be into this but I'll least tag him anyway.  https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ssn=superpotato_retro_games&_sop=10&_ipg=200&rt=nc

20 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Well, I facetanked the Loghorrean with absolutely no trouble.  I only had to pop my defensive abilities once and I don't think my health ever went below 40%.  I'm definitely going to try the DLC with this toon to see if I can keep this ridiculousness up.

5 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I'm honestly surprised nobody said anything on here yet but Super Potato has an eBay page.  While you can likely get some of this stuff elsewhere it's pretty cool to see these in one online store.  And all things considered those are some darn good prices to boot.  I don't know how much @John E. Dynamitewould be into this but I'll least tag him anyway.  https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ssn=superpotato_retro_games&_sop=10&_ipg=200&rt=nc

Aw jeez. My Japanese wishlist is pretty scant these days... unless I get my hands on a nice CRT and commit to all the rhythm games I wanted from the BEMANI glory days. Then I'm just gonna start selling my organs.

I poked my head into the Super Potato in Nagoya and hoo boy, it is a very good museum and a very expensive shop. It was comforting to witness a level of retro collecting far, far beyond mine.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Aw jeez. My Japanese wishlist is pretty scant these days... unless I get my hands on a nice CRT and commit to all the rhythm games I wanted from the BEMANI glory days. Then I'm just gonna start selling my organs.

I poked my head into the Super Potato in Nagoya and hoo boy, it is a very good museum and a very expensive shop. It was comforting to witness a level of retro collecting far, far beyond mine.

A friend of mine gave me her CRT TV so that's half of it there.  I have a couple systems hooked up but need to finish downstairs before making better use of it.  That and I need to get around to cleaning the cartridges for a lot of the ones I have.  Gotta love some good ol' procrastination on my part.  As for games and systems I'm doing quite well as I don't deal with imports that much.  I'll do it for wrestling games but I've only gotten a couple throughout the years.

As for the BEMANI games that's something my wife can talk about for days on end.  We still have a fair amount of the stuff that was on PS2 and I'm sure if I got that hooked up we'd be diving right back in.  Then there's an old friend of mine who upon getting his house setup a DDR cabinet with all the songs you could possibly play.  They're all super fun to play though.

Speaking of which don't know if there's one by you but we have a Round 1 at Towson Town that has a darn fine mix of rhythm games.  They have a few of the newer Bemani games plus stuff like Dance Rush and a surprisingly decent amount of Japanese games.  I'd definitely recommend checking it out if you haven't done so already.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Speaking of which don't know if there's one by you but we have a Round 1 at Towson Town that has a darn fine mix of rhythm games.  They have a few of the newer Bemani games plus stuff like Dance Rush and a surprisingly decent amount of Japanese games.  I'd definitely recommend checking it out if you haven't done so already.

I set a lot of high scores on 3rd Mix and 5th Mix at Towson Mall way back when. I was kinda surprised there wasn't a DDR machine at Round 1 but that place was in rough shape when they opened. Seemed a little better when I bowled there right before quarantine, but I still got smoked at IIDX. I'll play DDR a few times a year and it's almost like riding a bike; I only need to catch a glimpse of the chart and my feet will automatically (try to) hit the next ten steps. Playing IIDX again is like re-learning how to fly a helicopter except now I'm colorblind and missing my thumbs. *sigh* I need to split the difference and find a Pop'n Music.

• Like 1

Speaking of new systems...Now both of my Dualsense controllers are drifting. Way to fucking go, Sony. It's been an adventure trying to play the new MLB: The Show with that happening.

12 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I set a lot of high scores on 3rd Mix and 5th Mix at Towson Mall way back when. I was kinda surprised there wasn't a DDR machine at Round 1 but that place was in rough shape when they opened. 

They have one of the newer DDRs there. Not sure sure if it's the newest but it looked that way.  Might be worth a revisit especially since the place had time to look much better. 

Edited by NikoBaltimore

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Speaking of new systems...Now both of my Dualsense controllers are drifting. Way to fucking go, Sony. It's been an adventure trying to play the new MLB: The Show with that happening.

I haven't torn down a Dualsense, yet, but a few shots of CRC QD Contact Cleaner and you should be golden. 

All my controllers (Dualshock 4, XBox One, Switch Pro) were drifting and that fixed them up. 

But, I am a professional ID10T, so any advice you get from me is bad.