DVDVR Message Board

THE 248 "BEST" MOVIES OF THE 20-10S~!

RIPPA

I did not realize how high I had this on my ballot.

It definitely would have kept moving down as I watched more stuff.

However, to this day, I drop "IT'S SO FLUFFY!!!!!!" with my son and it still cracks him up 10 years later.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Spoiler

Fences

241) FENCES (2016)

Director: Denzel Washington

105 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Sublime (#32) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Jae

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (92%/75%) : METACRITIC (79/7.3)

@Brian Fowler wrote

Fences is a great play, adaptated as faithfully as you can ever expect, with an all-time cast. I can't recommend it highly enough.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/7864-2019-q3-movie-discussion/&do=findComment&comment=891660

@Elsalvajeloco wrote

Fences was tremendous. On the tad long side, but I think Denzel had me captivated to where I didn't really care about the length. Viola, of course, held her own.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/5794-february-2017-movie-discussion/&do=findComment&comment=617127

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

tumblr_p9yzsnGneS1s80h8lo1_1280

https://thepostermovement.tumblr.com/post/174670994875/a-ghost-story-by-sam-wolfe-connelly

248) A GHOST STORY (2017)

Director: David Lowery

98 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Caley (#23) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Bill S Preston Esq

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (91%/66%) : METACRITIC (84/7.0)

@caley wrote

@S.K.o.S.wrote

That one little typo in my quickly dashed-off review just HAUNTS me seeing it there. But it pretty much sums up my feelings. One day I'm going to sit down and watch this again but I'm not quite ready yet. Every time I see cute-sy Halloween commercials, it reminds me of this.

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

anomalisa_ver4

246) ANOMALISA (2015)

Director: Duke Johnson/Charlie Kaufman

98 Points (1 Vote) - HIGH VOTE: Hobo Joe (#3)

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (92%/71%) : METACRITIC (88/7.5)

I probably should have seen this. If my library hadn't been closed during the lockdown, I probably would have. That said, Charlie Kaufman reminds me a little of Vince Russo. I like his stuff better when it runs through the filter of another director (Spike Jonze or Michel Gondry) then his own stuff, though.

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

detroit

245) DETROIT (2017)

Director: Kathryn Bigelow

98 Points (2 Votes + 1 Honorable Mention) - HIGH VOTE: Sublime (#21) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Control : HONORABLE MENTION: The Z

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (82%/79%) : METACRITIC (77/6.7)

@Control wrote

I enjoyed this as much as one can say they "enjoyed" an intense drama about gross injustice and racism. I'm not sure how Will Poulter went from goofy eyebrows kid in 'We're the Millers' to hideous racist cop in this one but it's a pretty incredible variance of performances. Probably should have gone on my list but it kind of slipped through the cracks.

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I am always early: movies, work, sports, etc. 

If I'm not early, I'd rather just turn around and go home (And have done so, in the past, especially in relation to college classes!).

5 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

del Toro and Bigelow almost certainly have one other movie respectively that'll bump them up to two a piece. 

Caught off guard that Kaufman directed a film during this decade. It's his only one (same with his co-director), so he's done.

I think that'll be Lowery's only one unless someone really likes Pete's Dragon or The Old Man and The Gun. Knowing what kind of stuff ended up on my list, I shouldn't be ruling anything out...

I should have voted for 'The Old Man and The Gun' which I genuinely enjoyed. I think maybe I lost some movies along the way.

40 minutes ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

SacredDeer

243) THE KILLING OF A SACRED DEER (2017)

Director: Yorgos Lanthimos

105 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: New Blood (#45) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Andy in Kansas

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (80%/63%) : METACRITIC (73/6.8)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - You can find people talking about this movie if you search the movie folder but it is never an actual review - its randomly brought up like when mocking the way Nicole Kidman talks or in the True Detective thread for... reasons. Closest thing to a review is JT randomly saying "It's fucking awesome"

This was genuinely supposed to be on my Honourable Mentions at least, got lost in the shuffle when I was trimming down. So I guess if 'Rogue One' gets a boost, it should thank 'The Killing of a Sacred Deer' which is a really weird, really dark, really darkly funny movie.

Edited by caley
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Octopus said:

I loved Dogtooth, but it came out in 2009. I have it in my all time Top 100. I also need to see more of his work.

Never liked Dogtooth as much because it seemed like a rip off of a Paul Jennings short story called No Is Yes that messed up my ten year old self's brain after reading it. 

The Lobster and The Favourite are both so so good though.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Octopus said:

I’m so pumped up! With how weird my life has been (as with most of us here) these past few months, this was a very fun project. I couldn’t deep dive it as hard as I had wished to initially, but I thank you all that participated in this and gave me something to smile at. This is a good community.

Well said, my friend.

45 minutes ago, King Leonidas Of Sparta said:

Never liked Dogtooth as much because it seemed like a rip off of a Paul Jennings short story called No Is Yes that messed up my ten year old self's brain after reading it. 

The Lobster and The Favourite are both so so good though.

Interesting! I haven’t read the Paul Jennings Story. Do you recommend it?

I looked at Dogtooth as a retelling of Plato’s Allegory of the Cave. With the house being the cave and the father being the puppet’s shadow, feeding misinformation.

6 hours ago, Octopus said:

I looked at Dogtooth as a retelling of Plato’s Allegory of the Cave. With the house being the cave and the father being the puppet’s shadow, feeding misinformation.

I haven't seen Dogtooth, but I trust your reading considering it's in line with Lanthimos riffing on some Euripides in The Killing of a Sacred Deer.

Speaking of which, I'm not sure I found it as darkly humorous as @caley did, and certainly not as darkly humorous as I found his other English language films. My big takeaways: Barry Keoghan is an unpleasant young man (in a good way!), and them Greeks are twisted!

Regarding the mention of Kidman's accent in RIPPA's post, nothing jumped out at me here. I only ever really notice it when the Australian feels like it really wants to get out. I felt like I was waiting for it through quite a few scenes in Big Little Lies.

Re-reading the post - my mistake - wasn't an accent issue but a pronunciation issue

From Contentious

Or maybe Nicole Kidman just kinda sucks.  In The Killing of a Sacred Deer, she flubs a scientific term *SO BADLY*.  Any enzyme often ends in -ase, pronounced "aze".  She said "transaminases" (trans-am-in-azes) like 'trans-a-men-a-seas', because it was apparently too difficult to look it the fuck up first.  I didn't even recognize it, except for the subtitling that made it quite obvious what the intent was.

• Thanks 1

First new watch of the unveiling for me is Detroit. I was pretty cold to Zero Dark Thirty and this wasn't met with nearly the enthusiasm of Bigelow's last two films, so it slipped through the cracks for me. She did a good job bringing a chaotic, war-like atmosphere from her previous films back to America's streets in this one. The middle act of the movie beginning with the police arriving at the motel is appropriately tense (and at points claustrophobic), even if you have a decent sense going in that anyone with any semblance of authority is going to fail to do the right thing. Worth a watch if you can handle the subject matter. 

Based on what's available to me, Fences is in my near future. 

Spoiler
41rG0YoMJXL._AC_

240) THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN (2011)

Director: Stephen Spielberg

106 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: KLOS (#15) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: The Z

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (74%/74%) : METACRITIC (68/7.8)

@King Leonidas Of Sparta wrote

Know I lost my shit during the Tintin movie, motorcycle chase went on for seemingly forever then his motorcycle broke and he used it as a zipline...my inner child decided to come out, actually wanted to stand and applaud. Don't know much about Spielberg, but say what you want about him, the man must have been chased as a child.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/717-best-audience-reactions-youve-heard-in-a-movie-theater/&do=findComment&comment=41494

Spielberg's directed more movies than you'd think when you look back at this decade. I don't think he has a real shot at being the director with the most to make the final list, and I doubt he posts a real high-scorer. But If he can squeak a few in with a high vote like that and one or two supplementary votes, he could end up in decent shape on this thing. Certainly good for him to get one on the board within our first ten reveals. And I know a few people who are just as enthusiastic about Tintin as KLOS.

Edited by Andy in Kansas

Tintin is probably the last Spielberg movie that I've enjoyed. It certainly goes a long way to wiping Indy 4 out of one's mind.

I also didn't realize he put so much out this decade.. I just don't show up for his flicks anymore.

238) LIFE OF PI (2012)

Director: Ang Lee

107 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: The Z (#25) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Bill S Preston Esq

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (87%/84%) : METACRITIC (79/7.9)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - No reviews but Life of Pi was mentioned in an old thread of "Best Looking Films"

237) BONE TOMAHAWK (2015)

Director: S. Craig Zahler

108 Points (2 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: New Blood (#41) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: KLOS - HONORABLE MENTION: The Z

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (90%/73%) : METACRITIC (72/7.3)

@Lawful Metal wrote

Bone Tomahawk.

I did not know about that scene. I screamed.

I was thoroughly enjoying a fine Western until then, and Kurt Russell’s mustache was doing some hella acting. Hell all of the performances were great - hell I didn’t even realize that was Matthew Fox. Even David Arquette was fully realized.

But that scene. Jesus Christ that’s gotta be one of the most painful scenes I’ve ever seen. And it just wouldn’t end.

5 stars

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/8214-2020-movie-discussion/&do=findComment&comment=996593

236) MIDNIGHT SPECIAL (2016)

Director: Jeff Nicols

109 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Control (#36) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Caley

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (84%/67%) : METACRITIC (76/6.7)

@Control wrote

MIDNIGHT SPECIAL was good. It's a very familiar plot, and none of the characters are really fleshed out, but there are a couple of straight up amazing scenes that will make you forget all that. And Michael Shannon, of course.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4906-movie-april-2016-discussion-thread/&do=findComment&comment=517329