DVDVR Message Board

THE 248 "BEST" MOVIES OF THE 20-10S~!

RIPPA

225) ZERO DARK THIRTY (2012)

Director: Kathryn Bigelow

120 Points (4 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Caley (#41) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Jae, Bill S Preston Esq, EVA

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (91%/80%) : METACRITIC (95/6.9)

This is the article @jaedmc wrote about Zero Dark Thirty - https://www.popoptiq.com/through-this-lens-zero-dark-thirty/

50 minutes ago, EVA said:

If the Wachowskis waited 5 more years to make this, it probably would’ve been a limited series on a streaming service and been incredible, though.

They did a variation of it, including the main female Korean actress, the show was called Sense8 and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Most of the Sense8 cast are in Matrix 4 too.

Spoiler

224) 21 JUMP STREET (2012)

Director: Phil Lord/Christopher Miller

120 Points (3 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Hobo Joe (#45) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: BP, Caley

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (84%/82%) : METACRITIC (69/8.0)

No real reviews but a few people bring up Tatum's performance in the "Best Performances By Bad Actors" thread

Spoiler
fruitvale-station-poster

223) FRUITVALE STATION (2013)

Director: Ryan Coogler

120 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Sublime (#9) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: EVA

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (94%/87%) : METACRITIC (85/7.9)

No actual reviews beyond "Fruitvale Station is amazing. I am so fucking angry right now". First movie that I know was actively hurt by JT not participating.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Octopus said:

@jaedmc, do you like other Godard films?

Oh yeah. I've got a lot of his movies. Contempt is on my all timer list. I love that his films don't always engage me through out, but when they do they do deeply. I feel free to kind of wander in and out like a very casual conversation at a small party. "Oh hey remember earlier when we were talking about Mao-ism? I was thinking..."  Or just non-chalantly watch a latte become a metaphor of the universe. I don't feel like I have to have an answer at the end or "get it". I can just go back and watch it again, and pick something else up.

• Like 1

Based on the numbers RIPPA laid out when he started the thread, it's possible that three would be a healthy number to put up on the director count. That would clearly be Coogler's ceiling, but Black Panther is definitely showing up at some point and we're early enough that I'm not counting out Creed. Entirely possible his entire output makes the list. 

Seeing what the current point threshold is and how easy it is for stuff to slip in at this early stage, I like Villeneuve's chances. He should get to four quite easily. If something like Incendies or Enemies have some high votes and a supplemental vote or two, it's easy to pump that count to five or six. I think he's the safe bet.

Waititi's ceiling is five, and getting close to that wouldn't be the most surprising thing I could imagine given the makeup of the board and some broad preferences I've seen.

Thought you were talking about PTA for a second, who I could see possibly ending up with only one if things don't break his way. But maybe I'm being pessimistic. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas

3 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Thought you were talking about PTA for a second, who I could see possibly ending up with only one if things don't break his way. But maybe I'm being pessimistic. 

We'll have to wait and seeeeeeee

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ActualMajorJellyfish-small.gif

221) HELL OR HIGH WATER (2016)

Director: David Mackenzie

122 Points (4 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Bill S Preston (#57) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Andy in Kansas, The Z, New Blood

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (97%/88%) : METACRITIC (88/8.1)

@Curt McGirtwrote

Hell or High Water was pretty good. The end of many things were obviously inevitable, but getting to them was fun. Jeff Bridges channeling Dick Murdoch though looking like Stan Hansen, and at some points channeling the Dude (no cowboy would put their hat on their boot, man) was especially entertaining. What the film has to say about the current nature of American capitalism and society is spilled all over the screen and there's no way to complain about that in a Frank and Jesse James redux. 

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/6175-june-2017-movie-discussion-thread/&do=findComment&comment=654746

@HumanChessgame wrote

Hell Or High Water was a really good movie.  It almost reminded me of Heat in a rural setting.  There were several very solid acting performances (including Chris Pine which was a sharp contrast from his fairly tepid acting in the Star Trek movies), characters with significant depth, and a setting that made you really feel the hopelessness and desperation of the principles.  

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/5505-nov-2016-movie-discussion/&do=findComment&comment=590763

18 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Seeing what the current point threshold is and how easy it is for stuff to slip in at this early stage, I like Villeneuve's chances. He should get to four quite easily. If something like Incendies or Enemies have some high votes and a supplemental vote or two, it's easy to pump that count to five or six. I think he's the safe bet.

Well, he did say "voted for", not necessarily "appearing in the list".  So someone could have very easily tossed a low-end vote towards either of those and they made the 656 or whatever the final total is.

That said, Marty had Shutter Island, Hugo, The Wolf of Wall Street, Silence (ugh), and The Irishman all this decade.  All of those are sure to get voted for.  Plus, he had the George Harrison documentary that seems like it was well-received and is available on Netflix, and with a couple of pretty heavy doc-heads contributing, I wouldn't be surprised if Marty was the 6.  But it's him or Villeneuve.  Spielberg is probably one of the other 5s.  The fourth one...maybe Morgan Neville, due to the documentary bent again?

Edited by Contentious C

Spoiler
warapes

219) WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES (2017)

Director: Matt Reeves

122 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: The Z (#9) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Hobo Joe

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (94%/84%) : METACRITIC (82/8.0)

@J.T. wrote

War for the Planet of The Apes was fucking awesome.  It is more faithful to the novel and the 70's franchise than you might think.

It is not a coincidence that Woody Harrelson's character resembles Marlin Brando's Col. Kurtz from Apocalypse Now.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/6233-july-2017-movie-thread/&do=findComment&comment=665424

If I'm tracking this correctly, are @Lamp, broken circa 1988 and @The Natural the only two ballots submitted that have yet to contribute to any of the ranked movies? We're officially through thirty reveals and I'm surprised we still have ballots that have yet to come into play.

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

If I'm tracking this correctly, are @Lamp, broken circa 1988 and @The Natural the only two ballots submitted that have yet to contribute to any of the ranked movies? We're officially through thirty reveals and I'm surprised we still have ballots that have yet to come into play.

Well to be fair - Natural's ballot was only 50 so he technically has less movie that have a chance to appear.

But you are correct - but that will change very soon

• Like 1