Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF - FALL/WINTER 2020 SEASON


Recommended Posts

I had two big theories about how the pandemic was going to affect college football this season:

1.  Significant talent disparities would be magnified.  The gap between programs who recruit at the elite level (the likes of Alabama, Ohio State) and the rest of college football would be even more pronounced than usual.  So far, that seems to be the case.

2.  In games where there isn’t a significant talent discrepancy, the disparity in COACHING would be magnified.  Moreover, there would be great opportunity for great coaches at traditionally mid-tier or lower programs to overperform (and vice versa, subpar coaches at top-tier programs to fall on their face).

Well, when you look at what’s happening at Indiana versus what’s happening at Michigan and Penn State...it seems like there may be something to that.

Edited by EVA
Link to post
Share on other sites

One other thing: not having non-conference cupcakes games to pad a couple extra wins magnifies how bad a team is. Michigan is terrible, but the reason it's their worst start since 1967 is largely the lack of beating two small schools before the Big Ten started kicking their asses.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

One other thing: not having non-conference cupcakes games to pad a couple extra wins magnifies how bad a team is. Michigan is terrible, but the reason it's their worst start since 1967 is largely the lack of beating two small schools before the Big Ten started kicking their asses.

Yeah, the 3-9 team under Rich Rod, featuring quarterbacks that could barely throw the ball 20 feet, was way worse than this one. 

Edited by Tabe
Link to post
Share on other sites

Tough to get fired in a pandemic unless you’re a real piece of shit, but it’s clear the Muschamp era was going nowhere.  Dude is not cut out to be a head coach.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EVA said:

Tough to get fired in a pandemic unless you’re a real piece of shit, but it’s clear the Muschamp era was going nowhere.  Dude is not cut out to be a head coach.

Maybe hiring a guy who flopped at a bigger program because he "knows the conference" isn't a great idea.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A&M Ol Miss is off this weekend as A&M apparently still doesn't have enough guys available.  

I guess Jimbo found a way to avoid our annual November slide - just don't play any games.

Edited by Robert C
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2020 at 7:17 PM, EVA said:

Tough to get fired in a pandemic unless you’re a real piece of shit, but it’s clear the Muschamp era was going nowhere.  Dude is not cut out to be a head coach.

And like the day after, one of their top stars, Jaycee Horn, will skip the rest of the season to get ready for the draft.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Because - again - we have reached peak "fuck it" season

The Pac 12 has approved the playing of non-conference games - yes its almost Thanksgiving and they are making that change

But since the Pac 12 still has to get their money - if a non-conference game is scheduled, it has to be played at the Pac 12 school and must be broadcast on Pac 12 TV

Also - if a Pac 12 team becomes available prior to the end of Thursday, they must play the Pac 12 school and tell the non conference school to fuck off.

The one story I read theorized that BYU could be the #1 target as they have multiple open weeks before the season ends (3 over the last 5 weeks to be exact - they can add max 2 games)

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Because - again - we have reached peak "fuck it" season

The Pac 12 has approved the playing of non-conference games - yes its almost Thanksgiving and they are making that change

But since the Pac 12 still has to get their money - if a non-conference game is scheduled, it has to be played at the Pac 12 school and must be broadcast on Pac 12 TV

Also - if a Pac 12 team becomes available prior to the end of Thursday, they must play the Pac 12 school and tell the non conference school to fuck off.

The one story I read theorized that BYU could be the #1 target as they have multiple open weeks before the season ends (3 over the last 5 weeks to be exact - they can add max 2 games)

Ah, a Pac 12 school bringing in BYU to beat them by 20 after having them jump through all those hoops will be beautiful. 

Edited by Tabe
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Due to changes in the state (PA) guidelines - VA Tech/Pitt will be required to wear masks while playing this weekend.

HOWEVER - Penn State will not wear them (they are hosting Iowa) as they believe that the entire team falls under the exemption

It won't affect the NFL - at least this week

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Due to changes in the state (PA) guidelines - VA Tech/Pitt will be required to wear masks while playing this weekend.

 

Edit: Not so fast my friend!

 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/pitt-and-virginia-tech-players-will-not-be-required-to-wear-face-coverings-in-the-field-of-play-in-week-12/

Edited by Tabe
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...