Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF - FALL/WINTER 2020 SEASON


Recommended Posts

They have to play someone in order to get to the Big 10 title game.  Unless they change the rules again.     I am guessing Ohio State will call every single MAC conference team possible to get that 6th win. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hammerva said:

They have to play someone in order to get to the Big 10 title game.  Unless they change the rules again.     I am guessing Ohio State will call every single MAC conference team possible to get that 6th win. 

Indiana/NW is gonna be the most unexpected Big 10 game ever

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably the most likely scenario is the B1G canceling either Maryland/Rutgers or Illinois/Northwestern so that Ohio State can make up one of their cancelled games, since neither would have an impact on the division champions.  Probably the Maryland game, since I imagine Illinois and Northwestern would like to have their rivalry respected.

But Ohio State desperately NEEDS another game, whether it’s a conference game to get eligible for the B1G title or a marquee OOC game (if the B1G is willing to bend their rules).  I don’t think a cupcake win over Akron would help them out at all.

Edited by EVA
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, so I just ran the numbers and here are the scenarios that get Ohio State eligible for the B1G title game:

1.  The B1G produces a conference opponent for them this weekend.

2.  The B1G pushes back the conference title game to create another weekend where make-up games can be played.*

3.  Every other B1G game this weekend must be cancelled.  If just one game kicks off, the average number of games played in the B1G becomes 6, eliminating OSU.

4.  The B1G must blatantly change the rules to benefit OSU.

 

 

*This is tricky, because if every game is played this weekend, the average number of games becomes perilously close to 7.  A full weekend of make-up games would likely push it over 7, meaning Ohio State getting a 6th game does nothing to help them.  They would need the B1G to be very selective in what they choose to book that weekend.

Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW - OSU just needs a 6th game. They dont get eliminated if the average goes above 7

And it doesnt matter since the Big 10 has basically already said it will change the rules

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

BTW - OSU just needs a 6th game. They dont get eliminated if the average goes above 7

And it doesnt matter since the Big 10 has basically already said it will change the rules

 

Oof.

On a related note, Purdue canceled practice today, and now Purdue/Indiana is in jeopardy.  One step close to B1G cancellation apocalypse weekend.

Edited by EVA
Link to post
Share on other sites

Poking around it seems that the Big 10 has nothing in place to prevent two teams from playing twice so everyone is saying OSU/Indiana II would be the solution.

So for those wanting total fucking chaos - clearly you would hope that it happens and Indiana won

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Poking around it seems that the Big 10 has nothing in place to prevent two teams from playing twice so everyone is saying OSU/Indiana II would be the solution.

So for those wanting total fucking chaos - clearly you would hope that it happens and Indiana won

Being legit, we got close last time, and then our QB tore his ACL. I just can’t see us beating them without Penix. I can barely believe we almost did it with him.

Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way you think Notre Dame is just now regretting joining the ACC.   If they would have only played Clemson once and won then both teams are in the playoffs.  But if Notre Dame or Clemson loses in the ACC Championship game they are probably out.  Unless it is something like the 1st game with an overtime and tons of drama. 

 If they want Ohio State in the playoff then the loser of the game is the odd team out.  Which for Notre Dame's sakes would suck

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

If they change the rules last minute to screw IU out of a chance to play for the Conference Championship for the first time in 60 years IU fans will bring it up for the next 60 years.

My favorite is Ryan Day being all CLEARLY WE WOULD CHANGE THE RULES FOR ANY TEAM!

Bullshit. Rules are rules unless they apply to OSU

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobody even hinted at possibly changing the rules for Wisconsin back before they started losing games.

Most of this season has felt like they B1G going "are you really sure you want to have a season? Okay then, fuck you." and changing that just for the Buckeyes would be blatant favoritism that probably gets praised in national media.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

To the surprise of no one - the Big Ten is expected to approve the change of the 6 game rule. The official vote is expected within the next day or so.

The justification they are using is that OSU would win the East even if they played a 6th game and lost so NBD

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

To the surprise of no one - the Big Ten is expected to approve the change of the 6 game rule. The official vote is expected within the next day or so.

The justification they are using is that OSU would win the East even if they played a 6th game and lost so NBD

Why even bother having the rule then?  This is purely a money decision and it's gross.  The league already blatantly favors Ohio in a myriad of ways, from officiating crews to rule violation allegations, might as well just change the rules for them, too.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Circling back to Michigan-tOSU.  Apparently it was cancelled because Michigan has 40+ active corona cases going right now.  My god.  

Also, though rumors that Urban was coming to save UT from the clutches of Tom Herman, he's turned down the job. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...