DVDVR Message Board

2020 STUFF ABOUT SPORTS MEDIA THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

On 3/17/2020 at 10:28 PM, Brian Fowler said:

ESPN is apparently doing 11 hours of classic UFC Saturday

They need to get real weird with it and show a bunch of 90s UFC.  I wanna see Teila Tuli's tooth fly out! I wanna see Joe Son's dick and balls get destroyed! I wanna see Severn and Shamrock circle each other for a half hour!

Wait, scratch that last one.

• Haha 2

I wish we had the Ocho here. I need that in my life. I'll probably find some of that shit online later. 

So we've gotten to the point where they're airing complete or near-complete Jays games from 2015, and one hour condensed games from the '92 playoff run. They've got it backwards: I want full games from the early '90s playoff runs. The World Series games are easy enough to find online, but it's pretty hit-or-miss beyond that. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

On 3/20/2020 at 3:31 PM, RIPPA said:

I am double posting this since folks probably wanna be aware of things to fill their time

Definitely worth watching, but I'd wish they'd air some of documentaries that aren't in heavy rotation on their on Demand channel.  OJ: Made in America has been available on Comcast's On Demand service since the day after the episodes first aired.

I also wish they'd air the 10-part Bulls documentary early, in case we (or they) don't make it to June.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

5 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Definitely worth watching, but I'd wish they'd air some of documentaries that aren't in heavy rotation on their on Demand channel.  OJ: Made in America has been available on Comcast's On Demand service since the day after the episodes first aired.

I also wish they'd air the 10-part Bulls documentary early, in case we (or they) don't make it to June.

This was mentioned as an idea maybe the day after the craziness of the NBA being shut down started. They shut down production as they still were filming stuff so that won't be coming out anytime soon.

On 3/29/2020 at 4:21 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

This was mentioned as an idea maybe the day after the craziness of the NBA being shut down started. They shut down production as they still were filming stuff so that won't be coming out anytime soon.

Check that.

So they reversed course.

• Like 2

Guest The Magnificent 7

Bunch of media companies are going to learn about force majeure in their contracts. A lot of lawyers at least are going to get rich off of arguing about it. 

On 3/31/2020 at 5:11 PM, The Magnificent 7 said:

Bunch of media companies are going to learn about force majeure in their contracts. A lot of lawyers at least are going to get rich off of arguing about it. 

Man, if more and more important companies start doing this, it's going to be a legal mess for years to come.

I’m sure if you add up all the sports, you could prob get to 100 in due time. Of course, my understanding is that most of those folks are technically free lancers, as opposed to anchors. I wonder if commentators include talking heads like SAS and Mr Tony. 

11 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I’m sure if you add up all the sports, you could prob get to 100 in due time. Of course, my understanding is that most of those folks are technically free lancers, as opposed to anchors. I wonder if commentators include talking heads like SAS and Mr Tony. 

The story specifically names SAS, Mike Greenberg, Alex Rodriguez and another announcer I am spacing on

So yeah - use the loosest definition of "commentator"

In fact - it is probably easier to think of it as "on-air talent"

• Like 1