DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Banks Making A Statement - 8/12/19

Dolfan in NYC

Twitter update:   Sasha Banks 1.87 million followers.      Alexa Bliss 1.23 million followers. ?

Edit:  FWIW,  I never said "followers" means someone should be pushed or not.  There are a variety of ways to gauge someone's popularity and whether they are "over".   It's the same guys who do their routine and pretend Sasha was never great or good and pretend people don't care,  pretend she has no fans,  pretend she doesn't warrant a sustained push,  etc.   On and on. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT

1 minute ago, nate said:

... goddamnit ...

It happens. Like Seth Rollins sucks and nobody likes him.   Or Brock is ruining WWE.  Or the Corbin push  (I'm definitely guilty of that one too, his push was awful).  Or Dolph should go away forever.  Fuck Orton,  etc.   *Shrug*

All this just shows why WWE ultimately won't ever give a flying fig about women's wrestling. Not that they were ever inclined to do so consistently anyway, but still.

Why should they, when fans are arguing over hair color and IG followers? Meanwhile, the same few will get TV time while the others gather dust in catering. And you'll claim that they deserve more, but not more than your favorite, without understanding that even on the worst day, your favorite is always given something to do. So what is supposed to happen, exactly? That's a legitimate question, because I have no clue.

A vicious cycle. And sad to boot.

I don’t know why some people want Alexa with the belt again? Every time she’s on top she sucks hard. Maybe even harder than Seth Rollins as “The Guy”. That Sasha schadenfreude won’t sustain you as a fan for much longer when you have to take a 4’5” women as a serious offensive juggernaut. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Alexa being tag champion means 1) the belts will actually be featured on TV and 2) they'll develop a story that will lead to Alexa vs Nikki somewhere along the way.

I don't know why it's hard to recognize both Alexa and Sasha bring different strengths to the table. You don't have to be a fan of either to acknowledge that.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I don’t know why some people want Alexa with the belt again? Every time she’s on top she sucks hard. Maybe even harder than Seth Rollins as “The Guy”. That Sasha schadenfreude won’t sustain you as a fan for much longer when you have to take a 4’5” women as a serious offensive juggernaut. 

I didn't say I wanted her with the belt. I have serious problems with the way Alexa is presented, starting with why I'm supposed to believe that what may be the smallest closed fist in the entire company is enough to put the company's top women down. She should be throwing forearms and open hands. My entire point, and only point, really, is that I find Sasha Banks overrated in the ring and unprofessional both in her interactions with fellow talent and with sitting out for four months because she didn't get her way. She had a great run in nXt, but so did Tyler Breeze, and no one here is advocating for him as a top guy. 

I'm also frustrated with myself. EVERY time this comes up I swear I'm not going to get involved, and then I simply cannot help myself. I think my stance on the matter is clear. I can move on to bigger and better things, like how Seth Rollins is maybe the least charismatic "top guy" company history... 

Not only that, it's possible to be a fan of two wrestlers who dislike one another legit. You don't have to be on one team or the other.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, just drew said:

I have serious problems with the way Alexa is presented, starting with why I'm supposed to believe that what may be the smallest closed fist in the entire company is enough to put the company's top women down. She should be throwing forearms and open hands.

Have DiBiase sell her his loaded black glove. 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, AxB said:

Not only that, it's possible to be a fan of two wrestlers who dislike one another legit. You don't have to be on one team or the other.

This is true. I like Sasha Banks and Alexa Bliss though prefer the Legit Boss.

Edited by The Natural

Was it ever clear why Alexa was out of the ring for some time? I seem to remember a report (Meltzer?) about her being injured, which she vehemently denied? Then she wasn’t working matches, had the talk show thing, and got put in this tag team. She’s looked fine in the ring, although noticeably smaller than she was previously, which leads me to believe she wasn’t able to work out for a while.

Anyway, I’m enjoying both the story and matches she and Nikki have been having, and interested to see where it goes, which is more than I can say about most of the product.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, just drew said:

I'm also frustrated with myself. EVERY time this comes up I swear I'm not going to get involved, and then I simply cannot help myself. I think my stance on the matter is clear. I can move on to bigger and better things, like how Seth Rollins is maybe the least charismatic "top guy" company history... 

It's hard not to get involved, when, sometimes, the shit goes for whole pages.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, crazypook said:

Was it ever clear why Alexa was out of the ring for some time? I seem to remember a report (Meltzer?) about her being injured, which she vehemently denied? Then she wasn’t working matches, had the talk show thing, and got put in this tag team. She’s looked fine in the ring, although noticeably smaller than she was previously, which leads me to believe she wasn’t able to work out for a while.

Anyway, I’m enjoying both the story and matches she and Nikki have been having, and interested to see where it goes, which is more than I can say about most of the product.

If you watched her network special, it was concussions from wrestling Ronda Rousey.

There's a misconception here that people had an issue with the Alexa Bliss forced push because Sasha should have been in her place.  People had a problem with the push because Alexa Bliss can't wrestle very well and her as champion dragged the division back to what it was pre-NXT.  Her matches are a far cry from the best matches we've seen from NXT and the main roster over the last 4-5 years.  Like it or not,  the reason why fans became interested in the women's division is because they were given a chance to shine and on some occasions they stole the show. 

Alexa has some strengths,  she is a decent talker even if Moment of Bliss isn't currently over. She is good as a backstage performer and as a manager so have her do that. Why not. It would allow for her to save her body from breaking down also.  

To be clear:

1. I wasn't actually arguing that Instagram follower numbers should determine anything. I was pointing out the irrelevance. No one actually believes the Kabuki Warriors shouldn't be pushed on the same level as others based on follower numbers *because that is obviously ridiculous.* It isn't me that brings it up during every Sasha-related conversation.

2. No one was ever actually arguing about her hair color. The wig was *inserted into the angle* intentionally for reasons that are still confusing.

3. I don't think Alexa warrants a bigger push than anyone else, but I do think that Sasha's refusal to job to her was 100% inexcusable and people don't want to call that what it was - unprofessional behavior. Shawn and others get raked over the coals for this sort of thing, and there isn't a real reason why Sasha shouldn't be held accountable for her actions. 

Also, very interesting that people are holding Alexa's size against her - nobody complains about Rey or Ali or Adam Cole or the hundreds of small "indy" guys holding their own against much larger opponents. 

4. Sasha's stuff with Bayley and Becky in NXT? Some of the greatest women's matches I've ever seen. The talent is absolutely there and I've never denied that - we just haven't seen anything even close to that level on the main roster, and only one person is arguing that we have. I am not a Sasha "hater" - I just think when her work is on a steady downward slope, she shouldn't be acting cocky and entitled. There are lots of talented women on the main roster that haven't gotten half the build, attention, and opportunity that Sasha has. Ember Moon has a legitimate complaint. Asuka has a legitimate complaint. Naomi has a legitimate complaint. The former Riott Squad has a legitimate complaint. Kairi Sane has a legitimate complaint. Mickie James has a legitimate complaint. Sasha just doesn't, but she was the one with [that face Sasha regularly makes on television when she's entering a match that she is booked to lose] that [made a decision not to honor her contract] while all those other women did their jobs. She doesn't deserve sympathy. She's been given more chances than most. 

Edited by MORELOCK
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Also, very interesting that people are holding Alexa's size against her - nobody complains about Rey or Ali or Adam Cole or the hundreds of small "indy" guys holding their own against much larger opponents. 

Oh I’ve criticized the way undersized Adam “All Elbow Pads” Cole is booked like an offensive threat too. For the others, though, they are booked as underdog babyfaces who use their size, and speed to put themselves in better predicaments. Alexa having the problem of her body type, and athleticism fitting the bill of an underdog face, but has the personality of a heel. If her heel personality was so dominant, then maybe she should’ve been a better sidekick. It’s the booking staffs fault for making her the top heel champion for so long with her limitations of being a believable dominant champ. It also didn’t help that she was part of a very week Smackdown women’s division. I think she’ll fit better in the tag division at least, if they are able to hide her flaws.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

1 hour ago, MORELOCK said:

The talent is absolutely there and I've never denied that - we just haven't seen anything even close to that level on the main roster, and only one person is arguing that we have.

Well,  this is bullshit.  Do I need to up the threads of people in here or over on PWO where it's stated how great many of the Sasha and Charlotte matches were or how Sasha most likely had the best match of Ronda's short career or how Sasha was the best worker in the Rumble or the best worker in the Elimination Chamber?  

And it is most certainly you.  Not just you,  a couple others tend to repeat the same talking points every week.   Sometimes I feel like replying and sometimes I don't.  Like the dude a few posts ago said,   it is you and a couple others who constantly bring up her name when nobody was even discussing her.   This week with her back,  well there was going to be conversation and we all know who the main three detractors were going to be.  Stop trying to play some kind of victim and own your words. 

Edit:  This is exactly like the Seth stuff that gets thrown around here,  I don't think it needs to be said every single week how much people dislike the guy,  but it is said every week and people continue to argue about it. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT

1 hour ago, MORELOCK said:

boo-boo face

went and sat at home

When discussing Sasha Banks, using these phrases has about the same effect as typing 'SJW' or 'Nazi'* does in a discussion of politics. It's not that it completely invalidates everything else you say, not exactly. But it takes everyone who is even slightly inclined to disagree with you right out of the 'Maybe they have some good points' camp, and puts them right into the 'They're either trolling for lolz or have an irrational blind hatred of Sasha and can't be reasoned with' camp. Encourages them to either disengage, or go straight to all out war mode.

* Or Feminazi, or whatever. Plenty of these terms around these days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1