DVDVR Message Board

Doctor Who Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

Has anyone heard the new Torchwood audio yet? I'm tempted to dash and buy it before the price goes up on 10/1, but I've still only seen Season 1 of TV.  And Doom Coalition is coming probably 10/6 and that's the IMPORTANT one.

There's a rumor that's been going round fan sites the past few days of Tennant and Tate doing a box set in 2016, which at least 3 people have asked if I've heard this week. I'll believe it when it's announced, not before.

(Won't see tonight's ep til tomorrow lunchtime because BBC and Amazon are not cool enough to put it up for sale as soon as it ends on TV.)

Has Capaldi's Doctor always had the wedding band on? He probably has, but I felt like there was a time or two they really wanted you to see it this ep.

That's Capaldi's wedding band, which he refuses to remove. They still might be focusing on it for a reason though.

but The Big Bang didn't change the history of

The Doctor meeting Davros as a child and teaching hi mthe word Mercy, thus subconciously impanting it in Davros so it would always be there. Thus the Daleks have always had "Mercy" in them without knowing it.

That's why the one that faced River was able to beg or it, it had th ecapability to say it and understand it

James

Doctor Who engages in what I call "Tactical Continuity." Basically, if it serves the story, some aspect of continuity may be used, but that does not mean that all aspects of continuity are relevant. And if it doesn't serve the story, continuity is to be avoided altogether.

Doctor Who engages in what I call "Tactical Continuity." Basically, if it serves the story, some aspect of continuity may be used, but that does not mean that all aspects of continuity are relevant. And if it doesn't serve the story, continuity is to be avoided altogether.

Sending thousands of nerds to complain in forums and BTL Guardian reviews.

He literally said, "I'm the Doctor, just accept it."

I loved the line.

That's basically what I've done when something contridicts something from previous seasons.  I enjoy the show.  My head would explode trying to reconsile everything done.

Wake me up when Moffat fucks off.

Or maybe I'll see you next week. I dunno.

That was tonally all over the place and involved way too much fan service-style continuity call backs.

But I dunno, it was ok. I'll be really depressed if Capaldi gets wasted on this type of material.

That's how I've felt about Steven Moffat starting from Matt Smith's last season/specials in 2013. Smith needed better material, so does Peter Capaldi.

• Like 2

So anyway I really enjoyed the episode, despite a host of annoyances. It seemed like a bit of a reset, at least character-wise, since it was intent on proving the continuing existence of the Doctor's deep humanism. Part of what was annoying about last season was the whole "am I a good man?/A good Doctor isn't good" crap. I've no problem with them admitting that the Doctor is capable of bad shit, but I think his basic character is that he's a do-gooder. They were trying to complicate that and it just didn't work for me.

So in this episode we get to see the Doctor showing compassion to his worst enemy. And I'm ok with that.

I was pretty excited when the Doctor said that he didn't carry a screwdriver anymore. That thing had just become a magic wand. Then it returned as sunglasses. Eh...

The fact that the Daleks' ultimate downfall was Dalek sewer slime was a bit harder to get over. Also, how come in every Dalek episode defeating the Daleks means potentially wiping them out as a race? Can't the Doctor have a few strategic victories?

I like Capaldi's frock coat-T-shirt combo. It's amazing that he pulls it off and he looks less magician-y.

So anyway I really enjoyed the episode, despite a host of annoyances. It seemed like a bit of a reset, at least character-wise, since it was intent on proving the continuing existence of the Doctor's deep humanism. Part of what was annoying about last season was the whole "am I a good man?/A good Doctor isn't good" crap. I've no problem with them admitting that the Doctor is capable of bad shit, but I think his basic character is that he's a do-gooder. They were trying to complicate that and it just didn't work for me.

If they want to do a story like that, they should have Sylvester McCoy come in for a team-up episode and have McCoy manipulate a bunch of people getting killed to achieve his goals, and Capaldi's doctor being horrified that his previous self would do stuff like that.

If they want to do a story like that, they should have Sylvester McCoy come in for a team-up episode and have McCoy manipulate a bunch of people getting killed to achieve his goals, and Capaldi's doctor being horrified that his previous self would do stuff like that.

At least McCoy didn't have to get all moralistic over it. He'd be all like "I blew up Skaro, lulz."