DVDVR Message Board

Doctor Who Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

I think that the obligations to use the Daleks yearly no matter what have hurt them badly. I feel like "Dalek" was an amazing ep. Immediately undermined by "Bad Wolf" and nearly everything else has at best done no harm, and at worst dug a deeper hole.

I hate to be the hipster recent Big Finish convert (though it doesn't seem to stop me) but I feel like they have handled the Daleks better than RTD or Moffatt. Part of that is that it's easier to make them scary when you don't see them, part is the difference in story structure and part is probably different ideas about what they want the Daleks to be.

Daleks are rough, though--they're awesome villains, but they're really, really hard to write episodes for. Really, aside from the very best Dalek episodes, most of them are mediocre or bad. I think they're handled best when everyone is absolutely terrified of them, though. IMO, they just need to do an ALIEN-style Dalek episode, with one to three Daleks and a very small space with a few well-written, supporting characters. Like, a smaller space and character list than the "Dalek" episode (which I loved). Maybe not a "space" location either. Really present them as horror villains.

The highs were higher under RTD, but the lows were way lower than they were under Moffat. Anyway, I agree with the idea that the showrunner should be some non-Whovian. 

• Like 1

Clara's been through the Doctor's entire time line and interacted with every version of the Doctor, she should be COMPLETELY comfortable with him regenerating.

I think she grew so attached to the Matt Smith Doctor, that it was hard for her to comprehend or accept that the Capaldi Doctor is technically the same person. Like, if you had a dog you loved, it had to be put down, and your parents got you a puppy that was the same breed. 

Clara's been through the Doctor's entire time line and interacted with every version of the Doctor, she should be COMPLETELY comfortable with him regenerating.

I don't recall whether or not she's retained memories from the copies of herself dropped throughout the time stream. 

Damn. Now I'm going to have to watch that episode again.

Is it just me or could Missy be

an alternate timeline version of Clara, gone mad, believing that he is her boyfriend, waiting for him to show up. And she was the one who gave Clara the tardis's number, right?

That's... absolutely awful. Just the sort of paradoxical manure I'd expect from Moffat. Really shitty stuff. 

I'll prepare myself for the likelihood that we end up seeing this played out on screen. 

I guess I should be more specific on which Russell T Davies I was referring to.

I mean Ninth Doctor/first season of Tenth Doctor for Russell T Davies. Not his later stuff and especially not "Journey's End/The Stolen Earth." That won't work with this Doctor.

That's the dynamic I was referring to -- the stories felt serious but had humorous moments too. There needs to be an episode like "The End of the World" or "The Empty Child" with the new Doctor. Capaldi's Doctor needs to take Clara to a place where she needs to know for herself if she really wants to be a companion. Getting grilled by Vastra over Clara's crush on the 11th Doctor and his change is not really want what I had in mind.

I felt like at the end of the episode they were trying to make Capaldi an older version of Smith, which is just wrong (at least that's how I interpreted it). I also think his character will essentially be a 'reboot Doctor.' He's essentially going back to pre-First Doctor.

Also:

I'm convinced that Missy is Clara. Too much of her dialogue echoed what Clara said earlier in the episode. Maybe she's one version of Clara that jumped into the timestream and became "The Second Girl Who Waited" but without the robots and antidote that kills those with one heart.

• Like 1

I have a good friend, an old friend, who just started watching Who two or three years ago. Pretty much all she cares about is constantly revisiting the Rose/Doctor relationship. That's how she was introduced to the property. That's what related to her and appealed to her and I think she would have been much happier if that was the tone of the show permanently. She's liked episodes since but to a far lesser extent, and my impression is that she's a lot happier doing artwork of that specific topic for like-minded people who commission her than to watch and get invested in the current episodes. She also reads a lot of quasi-feminist interpretations of this stuff, but that's kind of beside the point. It's the former that i think of when I think of the tumblr crowd. 

The Clara/Missy thing makes some sense, but I'm hoping it's just audience trolling.  The 'boyfriend" line really closely echoes what was said to Clara earlier, so it seems like the two are connected somehow (foreshadowing).  That said, the idea doesn't interest me at all and I'd prefer they not backtrack on "The Impossible Girl" thing.  They've gone to great lengths to establish that Clara is just an average person with nothing extraordinary about her, so I'd prefer they not turn her into the big bad one season later.  Then again, that'd be par for the course with this show.

Really, I feel like the "Doctor is my boyfriend" line would make more sense coming from a version of Amy Pond or Rose. 

Edit: Just realized that, if they did go Clara/Missy, I probably wouldn't be around to se it (I'm never managed to stick with the show for an entire season.   Since the show overlaps with football season this year... yeah).   If they do go there, I'll probably read about it long before I see it.  So.... yeah.... brilliant idea.  Do that.

I don't want Davies or Moffat back.  Agree with whoever said the lows are lower with Moffat.

So far the guesses for Missy:

Clara (a strong theory I admit)

The Rani (not likely given Moffat's dislike of her, though he has trolled fans before)

The Master (Well, I'd love to see how they explain that one)

Romana (I like this idea of her being driven mad by The Time War and now she wants her boyfriend back to "heal" her)

I think the weakest guess is The Master, so watch that is who it is going ot be

James

I like the Clara theory on a "crazy plot" level, but I think it's too messy. 

Of those, the least messy and the one with the least amount of cost in introducing or reintroducing things to new readers is the Master. 

I think I'd probably put "brand new character" up there as a huge possibility too though.

It's very intriguing how much of history got re-written with the Time War getting a different ending.  Did the Master still get trapped with Gallifrey during the End of Time?  Heck, did that get rewritten when the universe got rebooted during The Big Bang?

So far the guesses for Missy:

Clara (a strong theory I admit)

The Rani (not likely given Moffat's dislike of her, though he has trolled fans before)

The Master (Well, I'd love to see how they explain that one)

Romana (I like this idea of her being driven mad by The Time War and now she wants her boyfriend back to "heal" her)

I think the weakest guess is The Master, so watch that is who it is going ot be

James

There's also the possibility that Missy is Susan Foreman. It's too left field and stupidest idea yet, but THIS is Steven Moffat....

I also wonder if she could be Tasha Lem, but she would at some point become fully Dalek. Pre-Dalek maybe?

Or yet another regeneration of River Song, which Moffat just LOVES to use.