Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
The Natural

*NEW* DC MOVIE THREAD

Recommended Posts

If it makes enough money, it'll get a sequel, whether that makes sense or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Except if he dies at the end. Wouldn't put it past them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I really fancy Joker Movie (2019) to be a one and done for Joaquin Phoenix. Phoenix turned down Bruce Banner and Doctor Strange as those are multi picture deals.

Also:

That's the amount of weight I lost!

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Natural said:

I really fancy Joker Movie (2019) to be a one and done for Joaquin Phoenix. Phoenix turned down Bruce Banner and Doctor Strange as those are multi picture deals.

Also:

That's the amount of weight I lost!

The important part here is the weight you lost. That's awesome!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Craig H said:

The important part here is the weight you lost. That's awesome!

Cheers. One of my proudest accomplishments. Here's my before and after:

162792_472751133861_5116751_n.jpg?_nc_ca

Weight loss: 3st 12lb/54lb.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Heath Ledger's Joker? Unattainable for anyone. I will honor his memory. On the set it was as if he were there by my side. I love you Heath, my friend and brother. I miss you."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right now looks like a two horse race between Joaquin Phoenix (Joker) and Adam Driver (Marriage Story) for the Academy Award for Best Actor. 

Edited by The Natural

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man that’s going to trigger a lot of people online that are bitching about the idolization of Joker as an anti-hero or whatever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have this terrible feeling... You know how the last thirty years of DC movies have been categorised by allowing filmmakers to show utter contempt for the source material, and an overwhelming desire to repeatedly restage one particular scene over and over again? A pretty big part of me thinks this movie ends with the Wayne family in Crime Alley AGAIN. And no Joe Chill, either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to set up a bunker with @Bustronaut and basically avoid everything about this movie, kind of like I did with Venom. I'm luckier because this board is more or less the only place I'll have to deal with it. It's just one of those things I'd probably be happier didn't exist. I won't crap over it just for the sake of it. I just won't really have it as part of my life. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The impression I'm getting is it's a pretty damn good movie, and a fucking terrible Joker movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Matt D said:

I just won't really have it as part of my life. 

Are we having another drug intervention? I told you guys I was quitting...fuck.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know Joker is going to make all of the money, but it seems like bad release strategy that it doesn’t come out for another month and we’re already experiencing a collective cultural fatigue with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I know Joker is going to make all of the money, but it seems like bad release strategy that it doesn’t come out for another month and we’re already experiencing a collective cultural fatigue with it. 

It can't be that bad if you're saying it's going to make a ton of money. Apparently, it's not that much fatigue.

I think WB's strategy was two fold: give It Chapter Two room to breathe so you don't have two major money makers back-to-back and allow Joker to have its festival run. The major festivals don't start until late August. Maybe they've could've jammed it into Cannes for a mid summer wide release, but they probably needed more time for editing. I mean it could went the other way with most of the critics at Venice shitting all over it, but it didn't happen so that part of the strategy at least worked.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, AxB said:

I have this terrible feeling... You know how the last thirty years of DC movies have been categorised by allowing filmmakers to show utter contempt for the source material, and an overwhelming desire to repeatedly restage one particular scene over and over again? A pretty big part of me thinks this movie ends with the Wayne family in Crime Alley AGAIN. And no Joe Chill, either.

You sound like a man who has danced with the devil in the pale moonlight

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

The impression I'm getting is it's a pretty damn good movie, and a fucking terrible Joker movie.

That's what I'm seeing and hearing as well, which just goes back to the discussion calling this "Joker" is shitty way to do a cash grab when you could just let the quality of the movie stand on its own. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 6:34 PM, Casey said:

Man that’s going to trigger a lot of people online that are bitching about the idolization of Joker as an anti-hero or whatever.

Yeah, it's being heralded as the best social satire horror movie since Us and Get Out, so it does indeed look like the Joker will be portrayed as something of the poster child for the mentally ill and class marginalized.  

Some people are calling it Clownface (a direct jab at the movie title, Scarface), but it sounds more like someone made a movie out of The Killing Joke and left out all of the Batman bits.

As far as the glorification of Joker as an anti-hero rather than a villain, that's always been the case from the comics to the movies..

Cinematically, I feel that Heath and Nicholson did their level best to portray the Joker as a legit villain but Bruce said in TDK, some people in real life will be drawn to the dark charisma of characters like that no matter what.

Being a horror movie guy, I know that we all pull for the killer every now and then.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Those pretty teens running around drinking and having pre-marital sex. They just got what they deserve." 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

"Those pretty teens running around drinking and having pre-marital sex. They just got what they deserve." 

I didn't get invited to those sorts of parties when I was in High School.  They got what was coming to them.

The idea that the Joker is being celebrated as an anti-hero in this joint just tells me that this is a bleak movie where the Joker is the most likeable character and that is kinda disturbing.  

Sorta clues me in that this movie is one that has to be endured rather than enjoyed.  I may need to take a hot shower to wash the grime and shame away when I get home from the theater.

Edited by J.T.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha, I wrote "pretty" when I meant to write "pesky."

#freud

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...